Author Topic: George W. Bush in 2005: 'If we wait for a pandemic to appear, it will be too late to prepare'  (Read 766 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
George W. Bush in 2005: 'If we wait for a pandemic to appear, it will be too late to prepare'
A book about the 1918 flu pandemic spurred the government to action.
By Matthew Mosk     April 5, 2020

In the summer of 2005, President George W. Bush was on vacation at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, when he began flipping through an advanced copy of a new book about the 1918 flu pandemic. He couldn't put it down.

When he returned to Washington, he called his top homeland security adviser into the Oval Office and gave her the galley of historian John M. Barry's "The Great Influenza," which told the chilling tale of the mysterious plague that "would kill more people than the outbreak of any other disease in human history."

"You've got to read this," Fran Townsend remembers the president telling her. "He said, 'Look, this happens every 100 years. We need a national strategy.'"

Continued with video at:  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/george-bush-2005-wait-pandemic-late-prepare/story?id=69979013

Offline EdinVA

We sure did a good job with that....

Offline skeeter

So, if this article is correct, Bush started preparing for a national pandemic in 2005, but the effort was sustained only for three years, when 'other crisis' demanded prerogative.

What else happened in 2008?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I wonder why W didn't make this his cause celebre after he left office.  He could have used the George H W Bush Foundation as ground zero for this effort.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

So, if this article is correct, Bush started preparing for a national pandemic in 2005, but the effort was sustained only for three years, when 'other crisis' demanded prerogative.

I see what you did there.   88devil

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I wonder why W didn't make this his cause celebre after he left office. 

@Right_in_Virginia

He probably saw something shiny and got distracted.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

Offline musiclady

We sure did a good job with that....

Starting in 2009, the entire focus was on Climate Change.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline dfwgator

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@Right_in_Virginia

He probably saw something shiny and got distracted.
Bush made a lot of screw ups, no denying it, but as I recalled he was pretty reviled by the left while in office and out of office he was still reviled by all the left and large percentage of the right. ANNND it looks like some still want to revile him and lay blame at his feet instead of where it belongs with team butt plug and hair plug!

That's the difference between republicans and democrats, the republicans will always be happy to eat their own while democrats rarely cannibalize their own no matter how bad they are.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"On April 21, 2005, then–CDC Director Julie Gerberding formally announced the reorganization of CDC to "confront the challenges of 21st-century health threats".[16] The four Coordinating Centers—established under the G. W. Bush Administration and Gerberding—"diminished the influence of national centers under [their] umbrella",[clarification needed] and were ordered cut under the Obama Administration in 2009.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centers_for_Disease_Control_and_Prevention#Workforce
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline skeeter

Bush made a lot of screw ups, no denying it, but as I recalled he was pretty reviled by the left while in office and out of office he was still reviled by all the left and large percentage of the right. ANNND it looks like some still want to revile him and lay blame at his feet instead of where it belongs with team butt plug and hair plug!

That's the difference between republicans and democrats, the republicans will always be happy to eat their own while democrats rarely cannibalize their own no matter how bad they are.

Your point is absolutely correct, but I gotta point out W brought alot of criticism here on himself as he took a number of shots at Trump after being completely silent for eight years during butt plug's administration.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 07:50:19 pm by skeeter »

Offline dfwgator

"On April 21, 2005, then–CDC Director Julie Gerberding formally announced the reorganization of CDC to "confront the challenges of 21st-century health threats".[16] The four Coordinating Centers—established under the G. W. Bush Administration and Gerberding—"diminished the influence of national centers under [their] umbrella",[clarification needed] and were ordered cut under the Obama Administration in 2009.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centers_for_Disease_Control_and_Prevention#Workforce

Look what the CDC Established in 2010, when the H1N1 Pandemic was still raging....

https://www.cdc.gov/climateandhealth/default.htm

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Your point is absolutely correct, but I gotta point out W brought alot of criticism here on himself as he took a number of shots at Trump after being completely silent for eight years during butt plug's administration.
Oh no argument about that, it was one of his biggest screw ups, keeping his mouth shut while  buttplug and hairplug committed their crimes and insulted America and Americans and then climbing out of his hole to castigate Trump was the final nail in the coffin of any goodwill for him.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@GtHawk

Boy Jorge was ok if you wanted a homosexual mama's boy,drunk,and coke head for a president that just happened to be in business with the Clinton's to sell out America to the Chinese.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!