Author Topic: IRS’s antiquated technology could delay delivery of $1,200 coronavirus stimulus checks, experts warn  (Read 573 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by  Michael Collins - TNS  April 04, 2020

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is promising that millions of Americans will receive $1,200 stimulus checks in just two weeks, but some tax experts and congressional officials are warning it may take much longer.

Antiquated technology and staff reductions at the Internal Revenue Service have seriously hampered the agency’s ability to process checks in such a short period and could mean delays in sending the money to anxious Americans who are counting on the cash to get them through hard times caused by the coronavirus pandemic, experts say.

“There are going to be a lot of people for whom this is going to take a while, and I think it’s going to be measured in terms of months, not weeks,” said Howard Gleckman, a senior fellow at the Urban Institute’s Tax Policy Center.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/04/irss-antiquated-technology-could-delay-delivery-of-1200-coronavirus-stimulus-checks-experts-warn/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Slow walking or moonwalking? Or just holding out for agency money?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

American Military News by  Michael Collins - TNS  April 04, 2020

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is promising that millions of Americans will receive $1,200 stimulus checks in just two weeks, but some tax experts and congressional officials are warning it may take much longer.

Antiquated technology and staff reductions at the Internal Revenue Service have seriously hampered the agency’s ability to process checks in such a short period and could mean delays in sending the money to anxious Americans who are counting on the cash to get them through hard times caused by the coronavirus pandemic, experts say.

“There are going to be a lot of people for whom this is going to take a while, and I think it’s going to be measured in terms of months, not weeks,” said Howard Gleckman, a senior fellow at the Urban Institute’s Tax Policy Center.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/04/irss-antiquated-technology-could-delay-delivery-of-1200-coronavirus-stimulus-checks-experts-warn/

This is the last thing that we need in addition to the unemployment fiasco.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Am I alone, thinking FedGov diifficulty will be another chapter of permanent administrative state-bureaucracy will somehow have tremendous difficulty with this task?

The timing and magnitude of the Snafu will stilll be fresh in mind on election day.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

Am I alone, thinking FedGov diifficulty will be another chapter of permanent administrative state-bureaucracy will somehow have tremendous difficulty with this task?

The timing and magnitude of the Snafu will stilll be fresh in mind on election day.
Slow walking a crisis....

Might lead to changes in management.
At the agency level.
All POTUS has to do is indicate who is failing and replace them, hopefully with someone who will get the job done.

Yeah, I'd bet dimes to donuts there is a political element in this slowness.

And I will believe in the 'check' if I ever hold the cash in my hand.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

The last time they gave out Trillion's of dollars obummer put biden in charge.  If it's gotta be done, and it has according to all the Technocrats incharge now, I feel somewhat better with Trump/Pence in charge, they use Vaseline.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

Another BOHICA Moment brought to you by unelected bureaucrats!

C S Lewis

Offline LegalAmerican

Why are so many people depending on Government for a hand out?   As a senior, I am to receive 600 as my help.  If I receive it or not...my life is the same. I did plan ahead for emergency.   Why people acting as if their life is at an end if GOVERNMENT does not provide any money.  THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS...AT ALL. 

Then some won't vote for POTUS..if their welfare check,  does not show up quick enough? 

Offline libertybele

Slow walking a crisis....

Might lead to changes in management.
At the agency level.
All POTUS has to do is indicate who is failing and replace them, hopefully with someone who will get the job done.

Yeah, I'd bet dimes to donuts there is a political element in this slowness.

And I will believe in the 'check' if I ever hold the cash in my hand.

Exactly. People who have had virtually no $$ or food to fall back on in the past 3 weeks, don't really care about computer glitches or antiquated systems.  They needed relief 2 weeks ago -- they were told that relief would be coming in 2-3 weeks and now ... who knows. 

Unfortunately, the relief that Trump promised isn't happening. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

IRS’s antiquated technology could delay delivery of $1,200 coronavirus stimulus checks, experts warn

I hate "experts".  How about they wait for the (any) delay to actually happen before they ask us to worry about it.

We're already on worry overload.

Offline libertybele

Why are so many people depending on Government for a hand out?   As a senior, I am to receive 600 as my help.  If I receive it or not...my life is the same. I did plan ahead for emergency.   Why people acting as if their life is at an end if GOVERNMENT does not provide any money.  THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS...AT ALL. 

Then some won't vote for POTUS..if their welfare check,  does not show up quick enough?

:facepalm2:  Millions of people lost their jobs because the government shut down the businesses or reduced the business' capacity that they worked for.  The employer didn't fire them or let them go --- businesses were made to shut down throwing millions out of work.  Even if people had enough saved for a month or two -- the first month of savings is nearly gone.  It's not like many of them can go out and find another job, because businesses are closed!  Those that didn't have anything saved because they were just able to make ends meet, they've been out of food and money for nearly a month through no fault of their own. 

Case in point -- it would be like you waking up tomorrow and finding out that the government is no longer going to send you your social security check or that the money that you had saved was gone through no fault of your own.

Offline Smokin Joe

:facepalm2:  Millions of people lost their jobs because the government shut down the businesses or reduced the business' capacity that they worked for.  The employer didn't fire them or let them go --- businesses were made to shut down throwing millions out of work.  Even if people had enough saved for a month or two -- the first month of savings is nearly gone.  It's not like many of them can go out and find another job, because businesses are closed!  Those that didn't have anything saved because they were just able to make ends meet, they've been out of food and money for nearly a month through no fault of their own. 

Case in point -- it would be like you waking up tomorrow and finding out that the government is no longer going to send you your social security check or that the money that you had saved was gone through no fault of your own.
Well, If I have a tax refund coming, there isn't much point in exactly holding my breath for that either. :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
There should not be any such thing as an IRS in an allegedly FREE country!

HTTP://fairtax.org
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

There should not be any such thing as an IRS in an allegedly FREE country!

HTTP://fairtax.org
Just one thing, bro. If they can't get these checks out, how are they going to do prebates?

If the taxes on food, primary shelter (one home), energy, and medical care were just dropped, I could support a consumption tax on the rest, with no prebate at all.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Just one thing, bro. If they can't get these checks out, how are they going to do prebates?

If the taxes on food, primary shelter (one home), energy, and medical care were just dropped, I could support a consumption tax on the rest, with no prebate at all.

They won't as they will no longer exist.  The Social Security Administration will handle that chore.

The instant you put one exemption in you put K Street back wide open!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:09:41 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

They won't as they will no longer exist.  The Social Security Administration will handle that chore.
I still believe as I do, so I'll agree to disagree. I don't want a check, just don't collect the money for the sale of those things.
(Which would mean still fewer gov't employees tracking addresses, bank accounts, moves, etc.)

C S Lewis