Author Topic: Some Much-Needed Coronavirus Perspective  (Read 353 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Some Much-Needed Coronavirus Perspective
« on: March 31, 2020, 02:26:13 pm »
Some Much-Needed Coronavirus Perspective
I & I Editorial Board
March 31, 2020

I&I Editorial

Like just about everyone else in the country, we are sitting in our homes under orders from our state governments, with little to do but follow coronavirus statistics. And they look fearsome.

There are almost 140,000 active cases of COVID-19 in the United States. Nearly 20,000 new cases were reported on Sunday alone. The death toll in the U.S. is now close to 3,000 — with more than 2,000 of them occurring in just the past week.

National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases director Dr. Anthony Fauci said on Sunday that the death toll could reach 200,000. Another model says 82,000 will likely die, with daily deaths peaking in mid-April at more than 2,000. By comparison, the last pandemic — the so-called swine flu — claimed 18,000 lives.

Over the weekend, President Donald Trump said he’s extending the federal government’s “social distancing” guidelines through April. In Virginia, Gov. Ralph Northam announced a “stay at home” order through June 10. School systems are starting to consider whether they will even be able to open in the fall.

It’s unprecedented, to be sure. But the problem with all the numbers being bandied about is that they lack any context.

more
https://issuesinsights.com/2020/03/31/some-much-needed-coronavirus-perspective/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Some Much-Needed Coronavirus Perspective
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 02:32:01 pm »
There you go, trying to be rational and all that.
Oh, I agree, but anticipate the usual suspects gigging this author for insufficient panic.

To the back of the toilet paper line with them.... :smokin:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 02:39:58 pm »
I agree with this article.  Nonetheless, sitting at home right now is like being at home while a hurricane blasts through, which I have done. You know all that carnage is going on out there, and you just sit by helpless, hoping you won't be affected.  The big difference is that this hurricane is going to last six weeks. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 02:49:13 pm »
I agree with this article.  Nonetheless, sitting at home right now is like being at home while a hurricane blasts through, which I have done. You know all that carnage is going on out there, and you just sit by helpless, hoping you won't be affected.  The big difference is that this hurricane is going to last six weeks.
Yep. Maybe longer.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis