Author Topic: It costs the Navy $400K per flush to unclog its prized carrier’s oft-congested plumbing  (Read 807 times)

rangerrebew

It costs the Navy $400K per flush to unclog its prized carrier’s oft-congested plumbing
J.D. Simkins

The Navy’s prized new super carrier was meant to be a symbol of American military might over the world’s oceans, but it is the ship’s toilets and plumbing system that are proving to be obstacles the service has yet to master.

According to a Government Accountability Office watchdog report published Tuesday, the sewage system pipes onboard the super carrier Gerald R. Ford are too narrow to accommodate the amount of daily waste being flushed by crew of more than 4,000.

“Frequent clogging of the system,” which is similar to those used on a commercial airliner, has necessitated unique fixes that include flushing the entire “sewage system on a regular basis” with an acidic substance capable of unclogging the obstructed monstrosity, the report found.

https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/03/25/it-costs-the-navy-400k-to-flush-its-prized-carriers-frequent-clogging-plumbing/

rangerrebew

New Report On The Navy's Troubled Ford Class Aircraft Carrier Is Literally The Shits

The ship's toilets clog frequently and the sewage system needs regular acid flushing, which costs hundreds of thousands of dollars each time.
By Joseph TrevithickMarch 24, 2020

As if the U.S. Navy's newest aircraft carrier, the first-in-class USS Gerald R. Ford, hasn't had enough troubles, a new report has revealed the toilets, and the sewage system that they feed into, are clogging on an "unexpected and frequent" basis. As a result and due to the overall system's design, maintenance personnel now have to routinely flush the entire thing with an acid wash, a process that costs the service $400,000 each time.

The Government Accountability Office, a Congressional watchdog, included these details in a report it published on Mar. 24, 2020. Bloomberg was first to report that GAO's analysts had uncovered the toilet issue when exploring whether Navy shipbuilding programs take sufficient steps to head off issues that could lead to higher-than-expected sustainment costs for ships and submarines in the long run. The review examined six different classes of ships, including the Ford class.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32729/new-report-on-the-navys-troubled-ford-class-aircraft-carrier-is-literally-the-shits

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I realize that the electro-magnetic catapults were an untested new technology, but toilet drains...?

C'mon, guys!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I realize that the electro-magnetic catapults were an untested new technology, but toilet drains...?

C'mon, guys!
Yeah, but the Romans didn't build aircraft carriers...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The U.S.'s $13 Billion Aircraft Carrier Has a Toilet Problem
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 11:57:23 am »
$400,000? No sh*t!! :silly: 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 11:58:46 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: The U.S.'s $13 Billion Aircraft Carrier Has a Toilet Problem
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 08:06:19 pm »
As the date of the OP article indicates, this story is two years old. TBR also has at least one thread about the story, https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,395938.0.html .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Mod5

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I knew there would be hell to pay when all those menstruating men started flushing their pads **nononono*