Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2  (Read 159299 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2
« Reply #1725 on: April 27, 2020, 11:17:47 pm »
I posted this tweet on another thread but it seems appropriate here:

Has it occurred to this tweeting person that the reason that so few people have died may well be that we DID shut down when we did?  :shrug:

With the red states opening up their economies (as they are), the blue states will most likely follow and the economy will recover.  It hasn't been "killed."

And I'm glad that with over 3 million infected in the world that so few Americans have died.

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1726 on: April 27, 2020, 11:29:18 pm »
Ya think?  Dry air.  Cool temperature.  What's there for a virus not to like?
Don't forget recirculation....and house wide distribution.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1727 on: April 27, 2020, 11:33:11 pm »
I'm not sure what method hospitals use (or even if they do) but perhaps businesses should consider UV germicidal lights in their HVAC?

A coil sterilization UV light runs 24/7 and is the most common type of HVAC UV light. It is also the most reasonably priced. In Air Sterilization, a complete UV light unit is installed that sterilizes moving air. The UV light unit is installed in the return air duct and cycles on with the air handler blower.

UV light destroy microbes in air conditioners. The lights are installed in your ductwork or near the AC coil, and they destroy microbes like mold, bacteria, fungi, mildew, mold spores and viruses in the line-of-sight of the UV bulb. ... Maintenance is also easy: Just change the bulb when it burns out.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:34:06 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1728 on: April 27, 2020, 11:33:27 pm »
Ya think?  Dry air.  Cool temperature.  What's there for a virus not to like?

And, most of all,  if there are no UV lights in return air ducts whatever gets picked up in one part of the building is soon spread throughout the entire building.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1729 on: April 27, 2020, 11:34:25 pm »
Hot humid air saturated with UV rays from the sun cannot.

@Hoodat

Does this mean we all need to move to Loosieianna?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline corbe

« Reply #1730 on: April 27, 2020, 11:36:42 pm »
   It took a couple of weeks for the Stoners to realize the City had striped the hoops off the backboards on the courts at the end of the street.    They walk around clueless with their basketballs and attitudes.  Lock up the women and kids. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1731 on: April 27, 2020, 11:36:48 pm »
Has it occurred to this tweeting person that the reason that so few people have died may well be that we DID shut down when we did?  :shrug:

With the red states opening up their economies (as they are), the blue states will most likely follow and the economy will recover.  It hasn't been "killed."

And I'm glad that with over 3 million infected in the world that so few Americans have died.
I wish I had enough faith in that.

I live near the NY-PA border. Tom Wolf said he was going to begin the process of reopening PA on May 8, but Cuomo—even though he said he was going to coordinate this with the neighboring states—isn't budging from May 15 and is also dropping hints he might even stretch that further in harder-hit regions (he also noted that construction and manufacturing are the only businesses he'll open on the first step and won't consider any others until May 29). Of course, I happen to live in a region that, despite a number of active cases I can count on my fingers, is tethered to Buffalo, which is still struggling to rein this virus in. (Unlike the state as a whole, there's been no appreciable decline in hospitalizations there.)

Part of it is that as a musician/entertainer of some repute around here who relies on performing as a substantial portion of my meager income, these lockdowns have been especially hard on me. I was very lucky that I ended up winning a prize in a talent competition just a few days before everything started getting canceled. But with the "attractive nuisances" prohibition Cuomo's proposing, I might not have any more chances for a long while other than in front of a webcam.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1732 on: April 27, 2020, 11:36:49 pm »
Me neither... But then I suppose there are folks down south who have never been in a heated house  :whistle: :shrug:

@roamer_1

That's where you are wrong. There are people in the south who have never been in a house that WASN'T heated.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1733 on: April 27, 2020, 11:37:43 pm »
S'alright, y'all...

More for me...  :beer: :seeya:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@roamer_1

Dear God,but those girls can SING!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1734 on: April 27, 2020, 11:47:48 pm »
@roamer_1

Dear God,but those girls can SING!

That's right... But that ain't the point... If it gets hot enough for air conditioning, I am on the water, not in a danged ol house.

Be it a tube with a cooler tied on down a lazy river, kayaking or canoeing down white water (with a cooler attached somewhere), maybe a john boat fishin for bass back in the sloughs and pot holes (cooler... see the pattern?), on a pontoon as a card carrying member of the Redneck Yacht Club, or even sitting on a dock fishin for rainbow down on the Swan River... Air conditioning sure as hell ain't on my mind.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1735 on: April 27, 2020, 11:52:42 pm »
@roamer_1

That's where you are wrong. There are people in the south who have never been in a house that WASN'T heated.

Well, yeah, but I mean with a furnace, not with the sun.  :laugh:
Though I have heard of Texans turning on the heat when it hits sixty...  :whistle:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1736 on: April 27, 2020, 11:56:14 pm »
I have never lived in an air conditioned house.

I've lived in a climate-controlled house.  Whatever the climate was outside, that's what the climate was inside.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1737 on: April 28, 2020, 12:00:54 am »
Though I have heard of Texans turning on the heat when it hits sixty...  :whistle:
I have seen it.

Then in the summertime, they turn the A/C to 55. :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1738 on: April 28, 2020, 12:06:03 am »
I have seen it.

Then in the summertime, they turn the A/C to 55. :shrug:

Go figger...  :shrug:
 :silly:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1739 on: April 28, 2020, 12:07:13 am »
Hurray!!!  Finally!!!! They just announced that they are re-opening the parks!!!  Playgrounds in the park will remain closed, but bicycle paths and walking trails will be open!!!  I am doing a Happy Dance and can't wait to go to one of the parks tomorrow!!!  The neighborhood beach and pools still remain closed.  Kayaking/canoeing allowed too.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1740 on: April 28, 2020, 12:14:18 am »
Hurray!!!  Finally!!!! They just announced that they are re-opening the parks!!!  Playgrounds in the park will remain closed, but bicycle paths and walking trails will be open!!!  I am doing a Happy Dance and can't wait to go to one of the parks tomorrow!!!  The neighborhood beach and pools still remain closed.  Kayaking/canoeing allowed too.

Ten miles in any direction and I am in one big ol park. They closed down the parking and pavilions and folks just laughed at em and went anyway...

Kinda like anywhere else that stayed open.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #1741 on: April 28, 2020, 12:54:33 am »

Great Point @musiclady

I believe President Trump has saved tens of thousands of lives by his actions and leadership, but because of my admitted TDS I don't think my opinion is acceptable to some hardcore Trumpers.  Hopefully my gratitude for the American people following his advice isn't misconstrued as support for China somehow.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1742 on: April 28, 2020, 04:19:58 am »
04-28-2020 | 0:00 GMT

REGIONRecov:Death     Cases:Recov
Global (excluding China & US)  4.701 ↑  2.792 ↓
United States  2.447 ↑  7.269 ↓
China 16.722 ↑  1.082 ↑

US 14-day Recovery Deficit - 383,639
Recovery Rate after 14 days - 24.0 %  ↑
Recovery Rate after 21 days - 38.4 %  ↑

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

US 14-day Recovery Deficit fell for the first time.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1743 on: April 28, 2020, 04:41:08 am »
I've lived in a climate-controlled house.  Whatever the climate was outside, that's what the climate was inside.

In SoCal w/o AC it gets hot inland. Like inland from Pasadena to Phoenix.

As a kid in North OC, my Mom knew just how to do it. Keep windows open all night, but close them and retain the cool air in all day also keeping all drapes closed. Also fans indoors.

Finally do like the cats and dogs, namely stay stilll, dress lightly.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #1744 on: April 28, 2020, 04:57:49 am »
Just finished watching the President's Press Conference.  He was in control and measured.  One of his best performances.  He said a lot of stuff I wanted to hear.  Pence was good too.  I missed Dr Fauci.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1745 on: April 28, 2020, 12:34:12 pm »
The freeing of America begins:
Roz al Ghul @PolitiKurd
Nashville hasn’t reopened yet but restaurants in other counties in TN were allowed to open today at 50% capacity
Dined out for dinner (in Franklin) with a couple friends for the first time in what feels like forever
Line to get in was out the door
 #ReopenAmerica
10:17 PM · Apr 27, 2020·
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1746 on: April 28, 2020, 12:36:38 pm »
That's right... But that ain't the point...

@roamer_1

How old did you say you are?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1747 on: April 28, 2020, 12:37:27 pm »

@roamer_1

Yup,everything is "local".

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1748 on: April 28, 2020, 12:59:39 pm »

@Hoodat

The house I grew up in wasn't insulated,and built from wood that washed up on the beach after a storm. No sub-floor,just floor,with the planks all spaced with a small gap so they wouldn't swell. On top of this was a roll of linoleum.

The only heat in the house was a kerosene furnace sitting in the living room,and it was strictly radiant heat because my father was too cheap to run the fan. He was also too cheap to turn it up past the minimum setting that kept your breath from showing when talking. His POV was "If you are cold,put on more clothes or go to bed and wrap up in the quilts."

It wasn't unusual to wake up in the morning to get ready for school,and see the glass of water I left sitting on my dresser the night before frozen.

The floor so damn cold bare feet would cramp up when they touched it,and AFAIK,nobody had ever heard of "bedroom shoes". If you couldn't wear it outside,it didn't get bought.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1749 on: April 28, 2020, 01:01:57 pm »
Hurray!!!  Finally!!!! They just announced that they are re-opening the parks!!!  Playgrounds in the park will remain closed, but bicycle paths and walking trails will be open!!!  I am doing a Happy Dance and can't wait to go to one of the parks tomorrow!!!  The neighborhood beach and pools still remain closed. Kayaking/canoeing allowed too.

@libertybele

That's awful white of them.