Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2  (Read 159329 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2
« Reply #775 on: April 08, 2020, 11:34:48 pm »
U.S. coronavirus updates: Chicago jail is largest-known source of coronavirus
Axios
Rebecca Falconer, Orion Rummler, Marisa Fernandez

Chicago's Cook County jail is the largest-known source of coronavirus infections in the U.S., the New York Times reports. The White House has identified Chicago's metro area as a risk for exponential growth of the virus.

Why it matters: Public health officials have warned this would be a particularly deadly week for America, even as New York began to see declining trends of hospitalizations and ICU admissions.

The big picture:
Over 1,000 people have died every day in the U.S. from COVID-19 since April 1. Tuesday marked the country's largest 24-hour increase in fatalities — with just over 2,000 dead by 9 p.m., per Johns Hopkins data.

Read more at:  https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-west-virginia-first-case-ac32ce6d-5523-4310-a219-7d1d1dcb6b44.html

I never would have known though you do hear these stories about jails and inmates.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #776 on: April 08, 2020, 11:37:33 pm »
More from Axios:

The pandemic and pollution
Bryan Walsh

COVID-19 is underscoring the connection between air pollution and dire outcomes from respiratory diseases.

Why it matters:
Old-fashioned air pollution is almost certainly the single biggest environmental health threat, contributing to the deaths of some 7 million people a year according to the WHO, making it comparable to deaths from smoking.

How deadly COVID-19 might be is a function of a number of variables, from the age of a patient to viral load to how overwhelmed a hospital system might be. But a growing body of research is a reminder of the hidden health consequences of living with serious air pollution.

Read more at:  https://www.axios.com/air-pollution-coronavirus-6a1dcc3f-41cc-4541-8d4b-0305c6346323.html

Online mountaineer

« Reply #777 on: April 09, 2020, 12:38:31 am »
April 8th, 2020
Massachusetts Issues Guidelines For Who Gets Crucial Coronavirus Care
By  James Barrett
DailyWire.com
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) released on Tuesday its guidance to the state’s doctors and hospital staff on how to determine who gets crucial coronavirus care should the system be overwhelmed by cases. The state’s guidance details how to determine a “priority score” for each patient based on both the individual’s likelihood of recovering and potential length of life.

In its “Crisis Standards of Care” for the COVID-19 pandemic issued Tuesday, Massachusetts’ DPH attempts to address potential questions that may arise on account of the virus, including if the system is overwhelmed due to an influx of cases, potentially requiring some degree of rationing of care and equipment. In such a situation, the state’s health officials say medical professionals should attempt to preserve the most life possible, taking into account how likely patients will recover and how long those patients are likely to live if they do.

The guidelines present the concept of a “priority score” for patients to help determine who to give critical care, including ICU beds and potentially life-saving medical equipment like ventilators, should it need to be rationed. ...
Daily Wire

RELATED: State Policies May Send People With Disabilities to the Back of the Line for Ventilators. Rationing. T-4.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:05:06 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

« Reply #778 on: April 09, 2020, 01:16:51 am »
Flashback:  Obama health care solution for the elderly

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #779 on: April 09, 2020, 01:37:11 am »
Study investigates if COVID-19 came to Calif. in fall 2019
If so, the state may have built up some herd immunity
Caitlin Conrad, KSBW 8 Published 9:51 am PDT, Wednesday, April 8, 2020

features remarks by Victor Davis HANSON

"MONTEREY, Calif. — Researchers at Stanford Medicine are working to find out what proportion of Californians have already had COVID-19. The new study could help policymakers make more informed decisions during the coronavirus pandemic.
The team tested 3,200 people at three Bay Area locations on Saturday using an antibody test for COVID-19 and expect to release results in the coming weeks. The data could help to prove COVID-19 arrived undetected in California much earlier than previously thought.

The hypothesis that COVID-19 first started spreading in California in the fall of 2019 is one explanation for the state's lower than expected case numbers.

As of Tuesday, the state had 374 reported COVID-19 fatalities in a state of 40 million people, compared to New York which has seen 14 times as many fatalities and has a population half that of California. Social distancing could be playing a role but New York's stay-at-order went into effect on March 22, three days after California implemented its order.

Hanson said he thinks it is possible COVID-19 has been spreading among Californians since the fall when doctors reported an early flu season in the state. During that same time, California was welcoming as many as 8,000 Chinese nationals daily into our airports. Some of those visitors even arriving on direct flights from Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in China.

"When you add it all up it would be naïve to think that California did not have some exposure," said Hanson.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Study-investigates-if-COVID-19-came-to-Calif-in-15187085.php

snip
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:44:31 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #780 on: April 09, 2020, 01:43:20 am »
This article is solution oriented. about a 10 minute test of antibodies, to determine who already has imunity, and would be ready to safely go back to work.

If California already has people that caught it earlier, the same may well apply all across the fruited plain.

Note VDH remarks.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #781 on: April 09, 2020, 02:02:44 am »
Hard to believe this POS(speaking of Obama) was ever POTUS. 

I do not like what I am hearing about the shutdown lasting 1-2 months more.  Pure insanity.

The destruction of the economy and the end of lives to other factors other than the virus must be taken into account.

Dr Tom Frieden, former head of the CDC, forecast 1.2 million dead with the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa.  The death toll was 11,323 from 2014 - 2016.  The forecast by groups in regard to COVID19 are just as bad.  I took a swag and said the death rate in 2020 would be 40,000 to 60,000 when it first broke out, when the high and mighty were saying 1- 2 million deaths.  They then moved it down to 100,000 to 250,000, and now in the last day or two, revised their numbers downward again to 61,400 to 80,000.

I based my number on nothing more than quesstimate,  wthout some fancy model.  They are now down to the upper edge of my number, and I suspect they will reduce their number further.  In the end, many positive things are happening.  I suspect the real number infected is in the tens of millions.  And with the passage of time, that number will increase.  So many will be immune from this virus.

Next, where we did not have therapies in place to fight this virus, doctors are working with a number of therapies that are in fact saving lives.  With time, doctors will determine what therapies work best in dealing with this virus.  When my wife and I had it, and we were not tested for it, but we believe we had it, they were not offering tests for COVID19.  We were tested for the flu, and the test was negative.  I have spoken to many that had the same experience.  No tests available, we had the symptoms, and weathered through it, as did many in the country.

The foot draggers Trump is surrounded by still do not have an antibody test available, and the people involved in that should be terminated.  Having that data would provide critical data for informing the president of when to resume normal living.  Right now, he has zero data on how many in the USA have been subjected to this virus.  Zero.

The CDC is horribly negligent in preparing this country for a pandemic.  Inadequate supplies, no tests for the virus, no tests for the antibodies, nothing.  Trump talks about being confronted with wartime conditions when the CDC, NIH and FDA are approaching this outbreak like it is business as usual.  Every time Dr Fauci opens his mouth, I cringe in disgust.  How many people will die because of his normal bureaucratic mindset?  Too many!!!

There is a German firm that is being ignored that has had an antibody test that is accurate.  They can't get to first base with the FDA.  The inaction by the medical pukes sure does appear to be anti Trump in nature.  I'm tired of that bullsh*t!!!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:06:12 am by jafo2010 »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #782 on: April 09, 2020, 02:11:18 am »
My home/birth county in Ohio, Mahoning, has the highest death rate of any county in the state.

I know that there have been nursing home clusters there, but these numbers are disturbing, and I wonder  why the deaths are higher there than anywhere else in the state.....

Cases: 305

Hospitalized: 138

Deaths: 28

Because of early and strong defensive measures taken, Ohio has fewer cases and deaths than most of the populous states, but there is obviously an exception with the percentage of deaths in Mahoning County, and it is puzzling.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #783 on: April 09, 2020, 02:13:24 am »
Could a simple blood test for COVID-19 antibodies help reopen the economy?
Commercial labs are scrambling to develop and distribute serologic tests.
By
Anne Flaherty

Dr. Mark Abdelmalek
and
Lucien Bruggeman
April 8, 2020, 5:48 AM

"With a White House increasingly anxious to get the economy in gear and an approved vaccine for the novel coronavirus still months away at best, public health officials are hoping that tens of millions of Americans will have access to a simple blood test that can identify recovered patients who've developed some kind of immune response to the virus.

The idea behind the push is that people who have been exposed to the virus form antibodies in their bloodstream that may help them to fight off another infection. The hope is that the body's antibodies against COVID-19 can diminish the chances of re-infection. Theoretically, those found to have immunized antibodies could then return to work and help reignite the economy.

Commercial labs are scrambling to develop and distribute serologic tests, as they are known, in large quantities -- and the federal government is doing its best to expedite an approval process that is, under normal circumstances, lengthy and cumbersome.
Adm. Brett Giroir, tapped by President Donald Trump to lead testing efforts, said he is "very optimistic" that tens of millions of the tests will be available by May. And he says it could dramatically change what we know about the scope of infection inside the United States.

snip

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/simple-blood-test-covid-19-antibodies-reopen-economy/story?id=70024837

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #784 on: April 09, 2020, 02:48:03 am »
The kind of people, employers, that will put America back to work are ambitious proroblem solvers.

Be part of the solution.

People that do things, not talk...talk...talk.

Faith and confidence in customer and worker safety is partof the challenge.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #785 on: April 09, 2020, 03:45:58 am »
Chuck Woolery, yes, the (former) game show host

tweeted this article out:

Covid-19 had us all fooled, but now we might have finally found its secret. - Blunt Force Truth

In the last 3–5 days, a mountain of anecdotal evidence has come out of NYC, Italy, Spain, etc. about COVID-19 and characteristics of patients who get seriously ill. It’s not only piling up but now leading to a general field-level consensus backed up by a few previously little-known studies that we’ve had it all wrong the whole time. Well, a few had some things eerily correct (cough Trump cough), especially with Hydroxychloroquine with Azithromicin, but we’ll get to that in a minute.

There is no ‘pneumonia’ nor ARDS. At least not the ARDS with established treatment protocols and procedures we’re familiar with. Ventilators are not only the wrong solution, but high pressure intubation can actually wind up causing more damage than without, not to mention complications from tracheal scarring and ulcers given the duration of intubation often required… They may still have a use in the immediate future for patients too far to bring back with this newfound knowledge, but moving forward a new treatment protocol needs to be established so we stop treating patients for the wrong disease.

The past 48 hours or so have seen a huge revelation: COVID-19 causes prolonged and progressive hypoxia (starving your body of oxygen) by binding to the heme groups in hemoglobin in your red blood cells.

Read more at: https://bluntforcetruth.com/news/covid-19-had-us-all-fooled-but-now-we-might-have-finally-found-its-secret/

He hosts "Blunt Force Truth"; this is brand new to me. See his twitter:  https://twitter.com/chuckwoolery

Chuck has a big conservative presence online.

But the article above points out how there is a lot we don't know about this... STILL!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:47:33 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #786 on: April 09, 2020, 03:54:16 am »
I've been hearing this too over the last 2 days:

3,200 Flights From China to the US
Posted on April 8, 2020

The data shows that 3,200 flights flew from China to the U.S., including more than 1,000 flights that went to Los Angeles and nearly 500 each landed in San Francisco and New York – all three among the eventual hot spots of the COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S. More than 100 flights from China arrived in six other American cities: Chicago, Seattle, Detroit, Dallas, Washington, D.C., and Newark, N.J.

Read more at: https://bluntforcetruth.com/news/3200-flights-from-china-to-the-us/

So, I give up, we restricted incoming flights from China but a bunch still came in. This is also similar to what I saw on the news about Europe, they stopped the flights but there were still tons of planes in the air and still flying. What gives??

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #787 on: April 09, 2020, 04:11:00 am »

So, I give up, we restricted incoming flights from China but a bunch still came in. This is also similar to what I saw on the news about Europe, they stopped the flights but there were still tons of planes in the air and still flying. What gives??
I had to go to the original article because, assuming they didn't arrive at once, I needed to know a time frame. That was from December through March, and there is nothing to show what flights arrived when.
The US did not close off our flights in until later in January, so were most of those flights during Dec. and Jan.?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #788 on: April 09, 2020, 04:15:40 am »
Could a simple blood test for COVID-19 antibodies help reopen the economy?

Good grief, they are passing this off as some new discovery or revelation?  The only thing it will take to reopen the economy is for governors to stop imposing some inflexible one-size-fits-the-entire-state policies that do not allow for personal responsibility.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #789 on: April 09, 2020, 04:29:32 am »

That's not possible.  My President closed the borders with China long before anybody even heard about the corolla virus.  The media was calling him racist.  It is certainly not racist to say your keeping some Chinese out but actually let them keep coming in anyways.

Libs Owned

« Reply #790 on: April 09, 2020, 06:57:00 am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bRH60gdoEE

Funniest 1 minute of yesterday's press conference

Offline TomSea

« Reply #791 on: April 09, 2020, 07:23:03 am »
That's not possible.  My President closed the borders with China long before anybody even heard about the corolla virus.  The media was calling him racist.  It is certainly not racist to say your keeping some Chinese out but actually let them keep coming in anyways.

Libs Owned

Did he let them keep coming? I call falsehood. Please back it up.

Yes, maybe they kept coming but not through the president's fault. He implemented that policy to block most from coming in which Dr. Fauci said saved many lives.  My gosh, how can one just go from posting one negative to another or how can one not knock China's roll in all of this?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #792 on: April 09, 2020, 07:25:09 am »
"One size fits all"?

Well, the governors are making some individual decisions per Nikki Haley:

"The federal government can provide crucial resources, but the burden is on the governor and her team to distribute them. No two states are alike, and blanket approaches won’t work," Haley, who previously served as a Republican governor of South Carolina, wrote in a New York Times op-ed piece Wednesday.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nikki-haley-in-op-ed-says-coronavirus-response-mainly-governors-responsibility-not-trumps

Also:
Last Friday, Haley criticized the World Health Organization for taking “China’s word” in the early stages of the outbreak that the virus might not spread from person-to-person, citing a January tweet from the organization that said China had found “no clear evidence."

« Reply #793 on: April 09, 2020, 07:46:06 am »
Did he let them keep coming? I call falsehood. Please back it up.

Yes, maybe they kept coming but not through the president's fault. He implemented that policy to block most from coming in which Dr. Fauci said saved many lives.  My gosh, how can one just go from posting one negative to another or how can one not knock China's roll in all of this?

Posted on April 8, 2020

The data shows that 3,200 flights flew from China to the U.S., including more than 1,000 flights that went to Los Angeles and nearly 500 each landed in San Francisco and New York – all three among the eventual hot spots of the COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S. More than 100 flights from China arrived in six other American cities: Chicago, Seattle, Detroit, Dallas, Washington, D.C., and Newark, N.J.

Read more at: https://bluntforcetruth.com/news/3200-flights-from-china-to-the-us/

According to travel data previously obtained by ABC News, those flights translated to more than 761,000 Chinese nationals entering the U.S. and Americans returning home from the People’s Republic of China during that critical four-month period.

Thank you for your reply @TomSea China sucks.  Their leaders have lied and they don't care about their own people.  So what?  Doesn't alivate my persistent cough.  We lost almost 4k Americans in the last two days.  When the deaths stop increasing we will all start looking at China, and our own government, and demanding answers for stuff like this with the benefit of hindsight and better information.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-trump-pompeo/pompeo-says-not-time-for-retribution-against-china-over-virus-idUSKCN21Q3DH

Pompeo says not time for retribution against China over virus

“This is not the time for retribution." - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:06:35 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #794 on: April 09, 2020, 08:22:26 am »

Libs Owned
Corolla virus? No wonder my friend's Toyota won't run for sh*t.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #795 on: April 09, 2020, 08:24:29 am »
    Posted on April 8, 2020

Thank you for your reply @TomSea China sucks.  Their leaders have lied and they don't care about their own people.  So what?  Doesn't alivate my persistent cough.  We lost almost 4k Americans in the last two days.  When the deaths stop increasing we will all start looking at China, and our own government, and demanding answers for stuff like this with the benefit of hindsight and better information.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-trump-pompeo/pompeo-says-not-time-for-retribution-against-china-over-virus-idUSKCN21Q3DH

Pompeo says not time for retribution against China over virus

“This is not the time for retribution." - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday
How about when those flights came in? The time block they are talking about is December through March, so, even a weekly breakdown would clarify what is going on.

C S Lewis

« Reply #796 on: April 09, 2020, 09:02:26 am »
How about when those flights came in? The time block they are talking about is December through March, so, even a weekly breakdown would clarify what is going on.

@Smokin Joe thanx for your reply
I am pretty sure, right after McConnell passes the unseen $250 billion small business relief bill on a voice vote, he'll start investigating the executive branch... :pondering:

sorry I got that wrong.  I meant to say I dunno what boondoggle Pelosi will pass, but the rats will be investigating President Trump's supposed ban on China travel really strongly.  They will do it because Trump keeps bringing it up ever news conference as his actions at the same time he was telling America it's a flu.

But now you and I know 4k Americans didn't die of the flu in the last 2 days.

This is going to be a really crappy week my friend.  Stay healthy.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #797 on: April 09, 2020, 11:46:28 am »
From the beginning, we were told that homemade cotton face masks would provide no protection against transmitting or receiving the virus. We were told their only value was in wearing them over regular hospital masks, which is why people started sewing and donating masks to the local hospitals.

Now the CDC has changed its learned medical opinion on the issue, even though I doubt the "respiratory droplets" followed suit. Can they not still go through the minute openings in cotton cloth?
Q&A: Why did recommendation on wearing face masks change?
The Dallas Morning News | Wednesday, April 8, 2020 8:41 p.m.
via Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

After months of maintaining healthy people didn’t need to wear masks in public to prevent the coronavirus, the country’s top public health officials reversed their position last week, recommending everyone wear a face mask in public places where social distancing is difficult. ...

Citing several studies, the CDC said it changed its recommendation based on evidence showing the virus can be transmitted by people who are asymptomatic, or who are not yet showing symptoms or feeling sick.

“We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (‘asymptomatic’) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (‘pre-symptomatic’) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms,” the CDC’s webpage says. “This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity — for example, speaking, coughing or sneezing — even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms.”

Disposable surgical masks are typically designed to keep what’s in a person’s mouth away from other people, which is why the CDC didn’t initially recommend them. Even with the new recommendation, the CDC emphasizes cloth masks primarily protect those around you.  ...
But that's exactly what they told us cloth masks could not do! This isn't science anymore, it's just wishful thinking.

Meanwhile, people are going out in public with home-sewn masks, bandannas, winter scarves tied around their faces, thinking they're protecting anyone from anything.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #798 on: April 09, 2020, 11:55:46 am »
From the beginning, we were told that homemade cotton face masks would provide no protection against transmitting or receiving the virus. We were told their only value was in wearing them over regular hospital masks, which is why people started sewing and donating masks to the local hospitals.

Now the CDC has changed its learned medical opinion on the issue, even though I doubt the "respiratory droplets" followed suit. Can they not still go through the minute openings in cotton cloth?But that's exactly what they told us cloth masks could not do! This isn't science anymore, it's just wishful thinking.

Meanwhile, people are going out in public with home-sewn masks, bandannas, winter scarves tied around their faces, thinking they're protecting anyone from anything.  *****rollingeyes*****

Or rather, it's been bullcrap all the way along.
The real threat is from surfaces, along with air and blood borne.. Like always. Which is why these quasi-quarantine attempts have been ineffective.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #799 on: April 09, 2020, 02:30:24 pm »

Now the CDC has changed its learned medical opinion on the issue, even though I doubt the "respiratory droplets" followed suit. Can they not still go through the minute openings in cotton cloth?But that's exactly what they told us cloth masks could not do! This isn't science anymore, it's just wishful thinking.

The masks reduce the velocity of your breath and thus the distance it can travel before the virus sinks out of the air.

Out of an abundance of caution, I am covering my face with a folded-up shawl when I'm around people not in immediate family (such as in a grocery store). Folded up to four layers it can reduce things by half.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024