Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2  (Read 159325 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2
« Reply #375 on: March 31, 2020, 05:02:31 pm »
TSA lists airports where 61 screeners tested positive for coronavirus
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/tsa-lists-airports-where-61-screeners-tested-positive-for-coronavirus

That's a pretty big development if nobody posted this yet.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #376 on: March 31, 2020, 05:33:00 pm »
I saw this article last week, I don't know if anyone posted it... but there's an article stating perhaps it influenced Trump's thinking on this. The New Yorker, not really an unbiased source but this is interesting nonetheless:

The Contrarian Coronavirus Theory That Informed the Trump Administration
The New Yorker · by Isaac Chotiner · March 30, 2020

President Trump, who at one point called the  coronavirus pandemic an "invisible enemy" and said it made him a "wartime President," has in recent days questioned its seriousness, tweeting, "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF." Trump said repeatedly that he wanted the country to reopen by Easter, April 12th, contradicting the advice of most health officials. (On Sunday, he backed down and extended federal social-distancing guidelines for at least another month.) According to the Washington  Post, "Conservatives close to Trump and numerous administration officials have been circulating an article by Richard A. Epstein of the Hoover Institution, titled 'Coronavirus Perspective,' which plays down the extent of the spread and the threat."

Epstein, a professor at New York University School of Law, published the article on the Web site of the Hoover Institution, on March 16th. In it, he questioned the World Health Organization's decision to declare the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, said that "public officials have gone overboard," and suggested that about five hundred people would die from  COVID-19 in the U.S. Epstein later updated his estimate to five thousand, saying that the previous number had been an error. So far, there have been more than  two thousand coronavirus-related fatalities in America; epidemiologists' projections of the total deaths range widely, depending on the success of social distancing and the availability of medical resources, but they tend to be much higher than Epstein's. (On Sunday, Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases,  estimated that there could be between a hundred thousand and two hundred thousand deaths in the U.S.) In a follow-up article, published on March 23rd and titled "Coronavirus Overreaction," Epstein wrote, "Progressives think they can run everyone's lives through central planning, but the state of the economy suggests otherwise. Looking at the costs, the public commands have led to a crash in the stock market, and may only save a small fraction of the lives that are at risk."

Epstein has long been one of the most cited legal scholars in the country, and is known for his libertarian-minded reading of the Constitution, which envisions a restrained federal government that respects private property. He has also been known to engage with controversial subjects; last fall, he published an article on the Hoover Institution Web site that argued, "The professional skeptics are right: there is today no compelling evidence of an impending climate emergency." Last Wednesday, I spoke by phone with Epstein about his views of the coronavirus pandemic. He was initially wary of talking, and asked to record his own version of the call, which I agreed to. During our conversation, which has been edited for length and clarity, Epstein made a number of comments about viruses that have been strongly disputed by medical professionals. We have included factual corrections alongside those statements.

Read more at: https://myemail.constantcontact.com/The-Contrarian-Coronavirus-Theory-That-Informed-the-Trump-Administration.html?soid=1114009586911&aid=zj7onaO5ojA

The Hoover Institute piece, I'll just link it because now the piece is from over 2 weeks ago, March 16th.
https://www.hoover.org/research/coronavirus-isnt-pandemic 

And here is this:

Law Prof’s Optimistic COVID-19 Death Toll Prediction Circulated Through the White House. It’s Already Wrong.
by Colin Kalmbacher | 1:05 pm, March 24th, 2020
https://lawandcrime.com/covid-19-pandemic/law-profs-optimistic-covid-19-death-toll-prediction-circulated-through-the-white-house-its-already-wrong/

Just posting, this last website looks liberal actually.

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #378 on: March 31, 2020, 06:07:13 pm »
Good stuff @musiclady .  My wife and children really loves musicals, but I have never liked them.  In a marriage, and family, we make many compromises so I have seen The Sound of Music more times than my favorite movie The Matrix.  My family will love this. I thought it was worth some laughs too.

@Once-Ler   I've been a super fan since I was in my early teens, so I thought this was hilarious.

Hope your family gets a laugh.  We all NEED it these days!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #379 on: March 31, 2020, 06:11:47 pm »
That's a pretty big development if nobody posted this yet.
I didn't see it.  I hope those flying are really essential.

Online corbe

« Reply #380 on: March 31, 2020, 06:45:19 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #381 on: March 31, 2020, 06:51:05 pm »
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/03/31/theodore-roosevelt-captain-makes-urgent-plea-for-individual-quarantine-sites-as-covid-19-cases-multiply/

Theodore Roosevelt captain makes urgent plea for individual quarantine sites as COVID-19 cases multiply

The commanding officer of aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt is urging the Navy to step up its response to COVID-19 and secure individualized isolation for the ship’s crew as COVID-19 cases aboard the ship continue to multiply, according to a new report.

While most of the Roosevelt crew remains in cramped quarters aboard the carrier, a small percentage of sailors are starting to move into group quarantine sites on shore in Guam to limit the spread of the virus — and only one of these sites is in compliance with NAVADMIN guidance.

As a result, current efforts to combat COVID-19 are inadequate, according to the Roosevelt’s commanding officer Capt. Brett Crozier.

Crozier argued that the group quarantine sites would merely delay the spread of COVID-19 in a letter to Navy officials on Monday, obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle. Likewise, he noted that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Navy and Marine Corps Public Health Center advise against group quarantine, and instead suggest individual quarantine.

“Sailors do not need to die,” Crozier wrote in the letter. “If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset — our Sailors.”

Crozier said the situation would be different in a time of conflict, because “in combat we are willing to take certain risks that are not acceptable in peacetime.”

more at link

Online Hoodat

« Reply #382 on: March 31, 2020, 07:21:28 pm »
Changed it up a bit today.  Global figures that included North America and China was heavily influenced by other categories.   So US is its own category and has been separated along with China from global numbers.

03-31-2020 | 18:06 GMT

REGIONRecov:Death     Cases:Recov
Global (excluding China & US)  2.623 ↑  6.585 ↓
United States  2.883 ↑ 22.129 ↓
China 23.011 ↑  1.072 ↓

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #383 on: March 31, 2020, 07:26:48 pm »
https://www.grandforksherald.com/lifestyle/health/5021975-Rural-county-on-Minnesotas-southern-border-a-coronavirus-hot-spot

Rural county on Minnesota's southern border a coronavirus 'hot spot'
"If I knew why, believe me, I would be beating the drum a lot louder," says Martin County sheriff

FAIRMONT, Minn. — Martin County on the state's southern border has more than its share of coronavirus cases.

At just 20,000 residents, the agricultural region has 24 confirmed cases of the virus and two deaths, according to Martin County Sheriff Jeffrey Markquart. (The Minnesota Department of Health website posts 23 cases.)

That's more than the 22 cases in Anoka County, which, at 350,000 residents, is 17 times more populated.

It's twice the dozen cases in 10-times-more-populated St. Louis County, home of Duluth.

It dwarfs the single cases in neighboring Jackson, Faribault and Watonwan counties.

Why?
Pressed for a theory, Langer pointed to early skepticism within a certain cable news outlet.

"My personal opinion is there are some folks listening to some media outlets that were not taking this seriously. That can be a factor too. It's hard to prove that. I don't want to get political. But there were outlets saying it's a hoax, it's no worse than a cold, and those are things people listen to. Our advice has been to look to credible sources of information like the Minnesota Department of Health and the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). "

more at link

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2020, 11:18:30 pm »

@corbe

https://facebook.com/raven.roberts.73932/videos/778380449647637/?t=220

Never mind, you got it already. (Next time I probably won't scroll down to the end of the thread, either...)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:38:35 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #385 on: March 31, 2020, 11:28:49 pm »
But there were outlets saying it's a hoax, it's no worse than a cold, and those are things people listen to.

If this is the case, people in broadcasting saying these things should be held accountable.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #386 on: April 01, 2020, 02:23:50 am »
Sailors Do Not Have to Die

Captain begs help as Coronavirus grips USS Roosevelt - Washington Times

This is awful!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #387 on: April 01, 2020, 03:05:21 am »
On Sunday, Gov. Greg Abbott announced the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Downtown Dallas will become the first overflow hospital site in Texas.

"Our job is to make sure that we are looking one, two, three, four weeks ahead," Abbott said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dallas-mayor-wants-daily-reports-of-hospital-capacity-numbers-to-track-coronavirus-needs/ar-BB11YDA3

Words to the wise,  fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Just for the record, I didn't see the press conference today but I did hear "scarves" were mentioned, so if one doesn't have a mass, maybe for an emergency situation, one might try that.

FACT CHECK: Should People Cover Their Faces With Scarves Like Trump Said?
March 31, 2020   Barbara Sprunt

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/31/824911705/fact-check-should-people-cover-their-faces-with-scarves-like-trump-said

And my interpretation of the article indeed is, yes, they can help.

Former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb has argued that the public should cover their faces during social distancing as an "additional layer of protection for those who have to go out."

"[Wearing masks] protects other people from getting sick from you," Gottlieb said.

This seems to chime in on this as well:

https://news.yahoo.com/bandanas-scarves-no-masks-available-us-health-authorities-171634174.html

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:06:32 am by TomSea »

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #388 on: April 01, 2020, 06:19:33 am »
Once-Ler
Rural county on Minnesota's southern border a coronavirus 'hot spot'
"If I knew why, believe me, I would be beating the drum a lot louder," says Martin County sheriff

FAIRMONT, Minn. — Martin County on the state's southern border has more than its share of coronavirus cases.

At just 20,000 residents, the agricultural region has 24 confirmed cases of the virus and two deaths, according to Martin County Sheriff Jeffrey Markquart. (The Minnesota Department of Health website posts 23 cases.)

That's more than the 22 cases in Anoka County, which, at 350,000 residents, is 17 times more populated.

It's twice the dozen cases in 10-times-more-populated St. Louis County, home of Duluth.

It dwarfs the single cases in neighboring Jackson, Faribault and Watonwan counties.

Why?

Most of the CDC is working from home right now, basically shutdown.  Now normally, once an infection has gone to a community spread stage, they abandon contact tracing.  However, in communities where the numbers are small and perhaps can be affected with contact tracing, perhaps they should concentrate their resources on small communities in the hope of staving off a larger scale infection versus sitting at home.

Does this make sense to you guys?  Why didn't the high and mighty at CDC think of this?  I tell you, this is a concerted effort to destroy this president with this outbreak.

« Reply #389 on: April 01, 2020, 08:46:55 am »
Most of the CDC is working from home right now, basically shutdown.  Now normally, once an infection has gone to a community spread stage, they abandon contact tracing.  However, in communities where the numbers are small and perhaps can be affected with contact tracing, perhaps they should concentrate their resources on small communities in the hope of staving off a larger scale infection versus sitting at home.

Does this make sense to you guys?  Why didn't the high and mighty at CDC think of this?  I tell you, this is a concerted effort to destroy this president with this outbreak.
I see a concerted effort by my President, my Vice President, the CDC and scientists, Congress, and Governors to save lives.  Not a conspiracy, just a failure to anticipate the future.  President Trump is fighting a war against the invisible enemy, and his detractors are fighting the same war against other Americans they were fighting before the virus...because they're so good at it.

« Reply #390 on: April 01, 2020, 08:58:19 am »
Yesterday's Presidential conference was the best one yet.  Not because of the terrible figures and stats, but because the President, Vice President, Fauci, and Bix spoke with one reassuring voice for over 2 hours.  I very much appreciate the President expressing his condolences to the families of the dead, in a personal manner and without finger pointing.  He has his priorities straight, I can see the pain on his face, and the terrible cognizance that he can't fix this on his own.  He is the President we need now.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #391 on: April 01, 2020, 11:31:23 am »
Fauci:"They talk about how badly you can hurt the economy before it doesn’t ever come back. I don’t believe them."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dr-fauci-dishes-on-trump-calls-for-much-longer-travel-restrictions/ar-BB11YZGm?ocid=spartanntp
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #392 on: April 01, 2020, 11:33:50 am »
Fauci:"They talk about how badly you can hurt the economy before it doesn’t ever come back. I don’t believe them."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dr-fauci-dishes-on-trump-calls-for-much-longer-travel-restrictions/ar-BB11YZGm?ocid=spartanntp

Fauci has a phD in Economics too?  I'm impressed.  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #393 on: April 01, 2020, 04:51:03 pm »
Will big tobacco save the day?  This is going to make some anti-GMO heads explode:

British American Tobacco Working on COVID-19 Vaccine Using Tobacco Leaves
By Reuters
April 1, 2020, 5:21 a.m. ET

(Reuters) - British American Tobacco, the maker of Dunhill and Lucky Strike cigarettes, said on Wednesday its U.S. biotech unit was working on a potential vaccine for COVID-19 using proteins extracted from tobacco leaves.

Kentucky BioProcessing (KBP), the unit developing the vaccine, could produce between 1 million and 3 million doses per week starting in June, the company said, with support from government agencies and the right manufacturers.

British American Tobacco said KBP, a division of BAT's U.S. unit Reynolds American Inc, would develop the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis.

The vaccine, currently undergoing pre-clinical testing, uses a cloned portion of COVID-19's genetic sequence to create an antigen that is then inserted into tobacco plants for reproduction.

More:  https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/04/01/world/europe/01reuters-britishamericantobacco-vaccine.html

Offline skeeter

« Reply #394 on: April 01, 2020, 04:54:31 pm »

He sounds like those who originally called this ‘a flu bug’.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #395 on: April 01, 2020, 05:59:27 pm »
Just a pic.
1918:
"Wear a mask or go to jail"

« Reply #396 on: April 01, 2020, 06:51:14 pm »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1245389585330458626

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Congress must pass the old, and very strongly proven, deductibility by businesses on restaurants and entertainment. This will bring restaurants, and everything related, back - and stronger than ever. Move quickly, they will all be saved!
11:36 AM · Apr 1, 2020

Here I thought all the dying people were keeping people out of restaurants and theaters.  Turns out they just need a business deduction.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #397 on: April 01, 2020, 07:02:22 pm »
The estimate by Epstein above needs at least one more zero.  His 5,000 estimate will be met in a couple days.  The number of deaths is increasing daily in the USA.  We have not reached the peak as yet.

I suspect they will keep the country shut down past the present projection of April 30.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #398 on: April 01, 2020, 07:44:34 pm »
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-19-daily-data-summary-deaths.pdf

This chart shows NYC deaths by age group, borough and - significantly - whether the deceased had a preexisting condition. Spoiler alert: 98.25% of the deceased had underlying illnesses, e.g., diabetes, cancer, lung disease, immunodeficiency, heart disease, hypertension, asthma, kidney disease, and GI/Liver disease.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DB

« Reply #399 on: April 01, 2020, 08:13:02 pm »
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-19-daily-data-summary-deaths.pdf

This chart shows NYC deaths by age group, borough and - significantly - whether the deceased had a preexisting condition. Spoiler alert: 98.25% of the deceased had underlying illnesses, e.g., diabetes, cancer, lung disease, immunodeficiency, heart disease, hypertension, asthma, kidney disease, and GI/Liver disease.

And what percentage of the population over 45 has an underlying condition? 50%?