Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 129741 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #1250 on: April 18, 2022, 11:54:33 pm »
That's the way Blacklist ended. It didn't really 'end' in that sense. It just suddenly stopped. And that was it.

@240B

I suspect they leave it "open" at the end so they can bring it back if what replaces it tanks. Probably with a few new lead actors/actresses the producers can pay less,and a fresh approach to the same problems.

And,frankly,after several years of watching the same characters on a tv show,lots of the viewers get bored and go  look for something else to watch.

The one exception I can think of is Shameless. I miss the hell out of it,but it HAD to end when it did because it was about a family of children surviving despite their father and mother,and eventually,children grow up,get married,and move out. It's the natural order of things.

Of course,"Frank" will live forever in MY mind as living proof that there is really no such thing as a level too low for some people to slither under. Frank was probably THE most despicable character to appear on a tv series.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 11:56:14 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline verga

« Reply #1251 on: April 19, 2022, 11:08:31 am »
That's the way Blacklist ended. It didn't really 'end' in that sense. It just suddenly stopped. And that was it.
I thought "Blacklist would be returning, just without the Elizabeth Keen charecter.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1252 on: April 19, 2022, 11:32:30 am »
One of the worst endings was on Alien Nation.

It was clear this show wasn’t planning on being cancelled and the movies that came after weren’t as good imho.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1253 on: April 19, 2022, 11:33:34 am »
Btw, I’m bing watching manifest. I can’t stop, it’s that good. First two seasons in 2 1/2 days.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #1254 on: April 19, 2022, 11:48:03 am »
Btw, I’m bing watching manifest. I can’t stop, it’s that good. First two seasons in 2 1/2 days.

LOL  I feel ya, @Gefn !  Did the same to me.    :beer:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline verga

« Reply #1255 on: April 19, 2022, 11:50:11 am »
Watched Limited series "Anatomy of a Scandal" on Netflix over the weekend. Crime drama from Britain. A senior member of Parliament is accused of raping a aid he had an affair with. Lots of twists and turns. Leaves you guessing right up until the end.The cinematography is top notch. Well written and paced. the characters are all believable, and even the secondary characters add a lo to the story.

Started watching "In from the Cold" also on Netflix. Starts out as a run of the mill spy thriller, but takes a Sci-Fi turn during the second episode. Single mom who was a Soviet era Sleeper agent is recruited by the CIA while on a figure skating Competition trip with her daughter in Spain.
Interesting use of setting, characters are realistic, storyline seems like it has a lot going for it.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #1256 on: April 19, 2022, 12:05:55 pm »
Watched Limited series "Anatomy of a Scandal" on Netflix over the weekend. Crime drama from Britain. A senior member of Parliament is accused of raping a aid he had an affair with. Lots of twists and turns. Leaves you guessing right up until the end.The cinematography is top notch. Well written and paced. the characters are all believable, and even the secondary characters add a lo to the story.

Started watching "In from the Cold" also on Netflix. Starts out as a run of the mill spy thriller, but takes a Sci-Fi turn during the second episode. Single mom who was a Soviet era Sleeper agent is recruited by the CIA while on a figure skating Competition trip with her daughter in Spain.
Interesting use of setting, characters are realistic, storyline seems like it has a lot going for it.

Thanks, @verga

Really enjoy British crime mysteries.  Will check it out! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1257 on: April 19, 2022, 09:05:50 pm »
If you want light clean fun try Jim Gaffigan. He's on Prime and NF. Has about 6 specials out and they are all good. Just pick one.

Just finished watching Final Table on NF. Enjoyed it. It is a competitive cooking show with a twist.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1258 on: April 20, 2022, 01:41:29 am »
LOL  I feel ya, @Gefn !  Did the same to me.    :beer:

Just finished it. Been watching since Sunday.

Series four is due sometime towards the end of the year….so I’ll wait.

Now I’m starting Russian Doll.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1259 on: April 20, 2022, 07:18:09 pm »
Started watching the original “4400” on Netflix.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1260 on: April 20, 2022, 08:50:16 pm »
I just finished Breaking Bad. Even given the subject matter...it was excellent.

Whoever patched El Paso and Baby Blue into the final episode was a complete genius.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1261 on: April 20, 2022, 08:53:47 pm »

Whoever patched El Paso and Baby Blue into the final episode was a complete genius.

This is also on Netflix and I really should put it in my que. I’m just afraid it’s going to be very violent

@berdie

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1262 on: April 20, 2022, 10:04:09 pm »

I was impressed by that as well.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1263 on: April 21, 2022, 06:50:29 pm »
This is also on Netflix and I really should put it in my que. I’m just afraid it’s going to be very violent

@berdie

Well, @Gefn , I won't say that it's not violent because it is. But not to excess. I need to qualify that statement with this...I usually watch older tv shows and movies. So in truth, it may not be any more violent than any other of the newer shows. :shrug:

I got more caught up in the psychology of the characters. The writing was excellent with lots of plot twists. It held my attention. The acting is excellent as well. jmho  :laugh:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1264 on: April 21, 2022, 07:03:42 pm »
I am binge watching old episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" that were filmed in the mid fifties and early sixties.
I finally get all the droll references Hitchcock made in his presentations of the episodes that totally went over my head when I first watched them when I was six years old.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1265 on: April 21, 2022, 07:28:06 pm »
I am binge watching old episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" that were filmed in the mid fifties and early sixties.
I finally get all the droll references Hitchcock made in his presentations of the episodes that totally went over my head when I first watched them when I was six years old.

My favorite is the one with the lady who killed her cheating hubby with a leg of lamb

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1266 on: April 21, 2022, 07:30:38 pm »

@berdie

@Gefn

There are more threats of violence or talking about violence than there is actual violence. Even when there is real violence,it is never really graphic.

Or at least that is the way I  remember it,but my memory for recent events sucks,and it's been a while since I finished it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1267 on: April 21, 2022, 07:33:58 pm »

@goatprairie

That,and The Twilight Zone with Rod Sterling narrating will forever remain a couple of my all-time favorite series.

I start laughing everytime that fat old man walks out on stage and mumbles, "Good Even-ing,tonight's episode ......"

He may have invented "droll sense of humor".

BTW,in case you haven't noticed,Hitchcock appears in walk-in roles in a lot of the episodes.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1268 on: April 21, 2022, 07:53:39 pm »
My favorite is the one with the lady who killed her cheating hubby with a leg of lamb
His shows were known for their twists at the end. Not every episode had one, but most of them did. I haven't gotten to the leg of lamb one yet. I seem to remember watching that one, but we're talking 60+ years ago. I still remember getting pretty scared over a ghost episode.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1269 on: April 21, 2022, 08:04:17 pm »
His shows were known for their twists at the end. Not every episode had one, but most of them did. I haven't gotten to the leg of lamb one yet. I seem to remember watching that one, but we're talking 60+ years ago. I still remember getting pretty scared over a ghost episode.

@goatprairie  @Gefn

The only old black and white teebee episode I remember from the 50's is an episode of Rod Sterling's "The Twilight Zone".

It was about a bookish geek in the 50's who lived alone and had no friends because he only had time for reading books. His dream was to one day be able to read books all day when he retired.

Being the mid-50's,he had a bomb shelter in his back yard. One day the "go to your bomb shelter sirens" started blasting that the US was under a nuclear attack by the USSR,and for everyone to go to a bomb shelter.

So this guy gets as giddy as a school girl at the thought of being locked away in his shelter all alone with his hoard of books,and starts down the ladder. As he reaches up to pull the trap down down and screw it tight,his eye glasses fall off and shatter on the cement floor. The look on his face was both priceless and heart-breaking.

I have never forgotten that one.

I have also never forgotten that I was VERY happy I didn't have Sterlings dreams.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1270 on: April 21, 2022, 08:11:01 pm »
@goatprairie  @Gefn

The only old black and white teebee episode I remember from the 50's is an episode of Rod Sterling's "The Twilight Zone".

It was about a bookish geek in the 50's who lived alone and had no friends because he only had time for reading books. His dream was to one day be able to read books all day when he retired.

Being the mid-50's,he had a bomb shelter in his back yard. One day the "go to your bomb shelter sirens" started blasting that the US was under a nuclear attack by the USSR,and for everyone to go to a bomb shelter.

So this guy gets as giddy as a school girl at the thought of being locked away in his shelter all alone with his hoard of books,and starts down the ladder. As he reaches up to pull the trap down down and screw it tight,his eye glasses fall off and shatter on the cement floor. The look on his face was both priceless and heart-breaking.

I have never forgotten that one.

I have also never forgotten that I was VERY happy I didn't have Sterlings dreams.

There were so many great episodes of TZ. The one that always creeps me out is Billy Mumy "wishing people to the cornfield".

Alfred Hitchcock was also one of the best.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1271 on: April 21, 2022, 08:21:07 pm »

There were so many great episodes of TZ. The one that always creeps me out is Billy Mumy "wishing people to the cornfield".

Oh my yes! The cornfield and the Jack in the box.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1272 on: April 21, 2022, 08:38:03 pm »

@berdie

I know he wasn't billed as a comedian,but he had a really droll sense of humor. All he had to do to crack me up was walk out on the stage and mumble "Good Even Ning."

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #1273 on: April 21, 2022, 10:26:17 pm »
Sneakypete wrote:
"So this guy gets as giddy as a school girl at the thought of being locked away in his shelter all alone with his hoard of books,and starts down the ladder. As he reaches up to pull the trap down down and screw it tight,his eye glasses fall off and shatter on the cement floor. The look on his face was both priceless and heart-breaking."

I believe the episode was named "Time Enough At Last".

Burgess Meredith was the protagonist.
He was a bank teller and was in the vault when the bomb dropped.

I -think- you can watch it again here:
https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand/series/the-twilight-zone/season/1/episode/time-enough-at-last-1959-1-8

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1274 on: April 21, 2022, 11:47:29 pm »
Sneakypete wrote:
"So this guy gets as giddy as a school girl at the thought of being locked away in his shelter all alone with his hoard of books,and starts down the ladder. As he reaches up to pull the trap down down and screw it tight,his eye glasses fall off and shatter on the cement floor. The look on his face was both priceless and heart-breaking."

I believe the episode was named "Time Enough At Last".

Burgess Meredith was the protagonist.
He was a bank teller and was in the vault when the bomb dropped.

I -think- you can watch it again here:
https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand/series/the-twilight-zone/season/1/episode/time-enough-at-last-1959-1-8

@Fishrrman

Thanks,but I am still trying to "unwatch it".

BTW,how the HELL did you manage to track that one episode down?