Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 129721 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #1150 on: February 26, 2022, 12:30:18 am »
Upload, Season 2 begins on Mar 11 on Amazon.  Pretty cool concept.

@Hoodat

Is "upload" the name of the series?

What is it about and where does it air?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1151 on: February 26, 2022, 12:53:47 am »
You're describing 'me', @sneakypete   ROKU my ass!

Why in the world do I need this 'stick'...that 'stick' when it ain't the damned LIVE forecasts such as my local news stations from 4AM to 9AM?

Yes...(lowering my gaze)  happy77 , I still pay VERIZON FIOS $220. monthly for something called GIG SPEED internet (it STILL buffers, the dirty  SOBs), and every channel from 2 to the music channels at 1400+.

And, uh... I don't watch any of them.  Why do I need to watch Denzel and Meryl' MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE another dozen times?

Can you get the 'LIVE' NFL playoff games on ROKU?  NO.  You can't.

Like Vinny Barbarino.... "I'M SO CONFUSED!!"
There is a trick for that.

Get yourself a smartphone (if you have an old one that you stopped using, all the better), the official NFL app... and one of these doohickeys.

The cardboard model (you can usually find one of these for quite a bit cheaper than Amazon if you hunt online a bit):
https://www.amazon.com/Smartphone-Projector-Portable-Phone-Brown/dp/B00R661UOQ/
Or a plastic model—this one, I read, uses a mirror so that it projects in the right direction, something I've had issues with in regard to the cardboard model:
https://www.newegg.com/p/0FC-011Z-00002?item=9SIAJ7WGWJ4876

You basically get yourself a dark room, link to your soundbar or speaker by Bluetooth, turn the smartphone's brightness to the highest it goes, turn on the NFL game of choice, put it into the projector, and point it at a wall. Adjust the focus, and badabing—you have a decent, TV-sized image coming from your phone.

This is, without exaggeration, the main way I've been watching the NFL for most of the past year. Is it perfect? No. But in the absence of a good antenna signal, it's worked pretty well for me.

(If you're in a metro area, I would strongly recommend an antenna, which will give you your NFL games and local forecasts live for free—or at least, only the cost of the antenna and the TV set to which you hook it.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1152 on: February 26, 2022, 01:46:41 am »
@Hoodat

Is "upload" the name of the series?

What is it about and where does it air?

@sneakypete

Yes, 'Upload' is the name of the series.  It is on Amazon.  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/upload

Basically, it is about a virtual reality 'eternity' that people can be permanently 'uploaded' into.  It's basically a guaranteed version of 'going to heaven', that is as long as you have someone else paying your monthly 'upload' bill for you.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1153 on: February 26, 2022, 02:58:06 am »

Yes...(lowering my gaze)  happy77 , I still pay VERIZON FIOS $220. monthly for something called GIG SPEED internet (it STILL buffers, the dirty  SOBs), and every channel from 2 to the music channels at 1400+.

Check your hardware. If you are not on a router that is using 5ghz wireless (AND actually using the 5ghz side), that could be your whole problem. Or less likely, if you are wired direct from your network to your TV, make sure your wired side is gigabit... That sounds so dumb it cannot be, but I replaced a router for a guy this summer that was a early G series router with 100BT wired, still humming right along. The guy's bandwidth was absolute crap... Man, you want to talk about an appreciative guy... He thought me a magician.

You really don't get it d00d. So WHAT if you can't get NFL (which I don't know is true - You probably can if you pay for it). So WHAT if you can't get local (which you can do with the investment into an antenna) You have to stop thinking about a single package and start thinking distributed.

ROKU, A good one, costs around 75 bucks - A more-or-less one time investment... After that initial hardware hit, you don't have to pay another damn thing. I have two ROKUs with *no* subscriptions... anything I do on ROKU is free (or a subscription I already have elsewhere).

If you are paying 220 bucks a month for a single package, you are flatly getting raped.

I pay hard for bangin cable broadband... A whole 70 bucks a month... a family account with netflix (around 10 bucks a month), and I have Prime for shipping anyway (so free wrt tv/movies) ... I see anything I want to.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1154 on: February 26, 2022, 06:18:02 am »

Why in the world do I need this 'stick'...that 'stick' when it ain't the damned LIVE forecasts such as my local news stations from 4AM to 9AM?

I dunno. I have a tuner that pulls in 43 local broadcast stations,and I am assuming most of them have weather reports. I know I have seen weather reports on the ones I sometimes watch.

Not that it is a problem. I get weather reports on my smart phone.

And, uh... I don't watch any of them.  Why do I need to watch Denzel and Meryl' MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE another dozen times?

Well,there are only so many hours in a day,so you have to be picky.

I consider that to be an advantage. I don't have to skip past them while looking for something worth watching.

Yeah,ain't we all. I still remember getting only 2 channels as a child on our black and white tube teebee. CBS and NBC.

We thought we were living large when ABC was added. Took me decades to find out about PBS.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1155 on: February 26, 2022, 06:21:30 am »

btw,I don't have a stick. I have the full-race Roku. In fact,I have two of them. One for the house,and one for the "office" in my workshop.

I honestly don't have any idea how many channels I pull in. I DO know from casual viewing that you would have to point a gun at me to get me to watch most of them. City council meetings from Podunk,Iowa? I think not,although it IS cheaper and quicker than sleeping pills.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1156 on: February 26, 2022, 11:55:04 am »

I have been waiting for almost two years for it!
@Hoodat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1157 on: February 26, 2022, 11:58:16 am »
I saw “Law and Order” season 21.

Mixed thoughts about it. I’ll give it another try because I did love the old series, but I confess, my favorite episodes are still the ones with Lenny Briscoe. (May he Rest In Peace)

Offline verga

« Reply #1158 on: February 26, 2022, 11:08:13 pm »
We watched the fist episode or 2 of it. Does it pick up after that?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1159 on: February 27, 2022, 03:05:34 pm »
We watched the fist episode or 2 of it. Does it pick up after that?

Yes I thought it did.

Started watching “Snowpiercer” on TNT. Just getting started with it and never saw the movie

Online libertybele

« Reply #1160 on: February 27, 2022, 08:45:52 pm »
Just finished the finale of 1883.   Has anyone else been watching or see the finale?  I don't want to ruin it by commenting if others haven't seen the finale yet.

I have read that Sheridan is coming out with another prequel called 1932.

Another show that succeeds Yellowstone - 6666 and some show starring Sylvester Stallone.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #1161 on: February 27, 2022, 08:51:37 pm »
Just finished the finale of 1883.   Has anyone else been watching or see the finale?  I don't want to ruin it by commenting if others haven't seen the finale yet.

Another show that succeeds Yellowstone - 6666 and some show starring Sylvester Stallone.

Haven't seen the finale yet today...will watch later...Did Elsa die?....no don't tell me...yes tell me..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1162 on: February 27, 2022, 08:55:14 pm »

@libertybele

They are really going to end that show after just ONE season?

Seriously?

ANYTHING with Sam Elliot in it should be good for at least 3 seasons,and there are some mighty fine actors in it besides him.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1163 on: February 27, 2022, 09:12:32 pm »

I’m not familiar with 1883. Where is it? Prime? Netflix?

Online libertybele

« Reply #1164 on: February 27, 2022, 09:13:00 pm »
@libertybele

They are really going to end that show after just ONE season?

Seriously?

ANYTHING with Sam Elliot in it should be good for at least 3 seasons,and there are some mighty fine actors in it besides him.

@sneakypete I couldn't agree more with you!  I was really disappointed in how the finale turned out. Sam Elliot was awesome!  I loved the show and yes there were a lot of great actors.

I have also read though that there is supposed to be future episodes of 1883, they just don't know when they will air. That's the rumor anyways.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 09:21:26 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1165 on: February 27, 2022, 09:22:30 pm »

Paramount+   1883 is the prequel to Yellowstone which is on Paramount. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #1166 on: February 27, 2022, 09:23:27 pm »

Paramount+
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

« Reply #1167 on: February 27, 2022, 09:25:38 pm »
Haven't seen the finale yet today...will watch later...Did Elsa die?....no don't tell me...yes tell me..lol

OK ... IF you want to know .... Elsa .... it's worth watching @mystery-ak  The ending has a little twist in it as well.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 09:41:44 pm by libertybele »

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1168 on: February 27, 2022, 11:03:42 pm »
@sneakypete I couldn't agree more with you!  I was really disappointed in how the finale turned out. Sam Elliot was awesome!  I loved the show and yes there were a lot of great actors.

I have also read though that there is supposed to be future episodes of 1883, they just don't know when they will air. That's the rumor anyways.

Not sure they could have future episodes, based on the way they ended this one.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1169 on: February 27, 2022, 11:14:45 pm »
Paramount+   1883 is the prequel to Yellowstone which is on Paramount.

@libertybele @Gefn

And it was MUCH better than the soap opera Yellowstone turned out to be. I quit watching yellowstone when I caught myself wondering when the "Carringtons" were going to show up. Kinda seemed like the soap "Dallas",but set in the 1800's.

Although to be fair,there did seem to be HINTS of soap opera developing in 1883.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1170 on: February 27, 2022, 11:19:27 pm »
Not sure they could have future episodes, based on the way they ended this one.

I know what you mean.  The ending answers how the Duttons wound up in MT. --- Continue 1883 with building the ranch -- but somehow they need to introduce some more characters that's for sure.  Maybe another Dutton is born??  Maybe another family comes around??  I agree @debrawiest  I'm not seeing how they're going to pull off new episodes.

Sheridan has come out with another prequel called 1932 -- so perhaps this is indeed the end of 1883.

I have also read that Yellowstone Season V is separated into 2 parts -- one gearing up to 1932 and the other gearing up to his other series in the works with Sly Stallone. (I'm not a Stallone fan).

Sheridan has signed on with Paramount+ for $200,000,000.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1171 on: February 27, 2022, 11:21:55 pm »
@libertybele @Gefn

And it was MUCH better than the soap opera Yellowstone turned out to be. I quit watching yellowstone when I caught myself wondering when the "Carringtons" were going to show up. Kinda seemed like the soap "Dallas",but set in the 1800's.

Although to be fair,there did seem to be HINTS of soap opera developing in 1883.

@sneakypete I liked 1883 much better than Yellowstone too -- I am just as surprised as you are with the ending. I am disappointed.

I still enjoy Yellowstone, but 1883 I think was written much better.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 11:23:57 pm by libertybele »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1172 on: February 27, 2022, 11:56:43 pm »
@sneakypete I liked 1883 much better than Yellowstone too -- I am just as surprised as you are with the ending. I am disappointed.

I still enjoy Yellowstone, but 1883 I think was written much better.

@libertybele

Well,1883 had an unfair advantage with Sam Elliot and that smoking hot blonde cowgirl. Don't know much about her other than she is a really good actress and so beautiful it takes my breath away,and I normally guy that gets the vapors for redheads.

And Sophia,of course.  Every other woman on the planet stands in line behind Sophia.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1173 on: February 28, 2022, 12:04:29 am »
@libertybele

Well,1883 had an unfair advantage with Sam Elliot and that smoking hot blonde cowgirl. Don't know much about her other than she is a really good actress and so beautiful it takes my breath away,and I normally guy that gets the vapors for redheads.

And Sophia,of course.  Every other woman on the planet stands in line behind Sophia.

You make me chuckle @sneakypete    But, I remember as a young teenager, I thought Sophia was absolutely stunningly beautiful.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1174 on: February 28, 2022, 12:15:30 am »
I know what you mean.  The ending answers how the Duttons wound up in MT. --- Continue 1883 with building the ranch -- but somehow they need to introduce some more characters that's for sure.  Maybe another Dutton is born??  Maybe another family comes around??  I agree @debrawiest  I'm not seeing how they're going to pull off new episodes.

Sheridan has come out with another prequel called 1932 -- so perhaps this is indeed the end of 1883.

I have also read that Yellowstone Season V is separated into 2 parts -- one gearing up to 1932 and the other gearing up to his other series in the works with Sly Stallone. (I'm not a Stallone fan).

Sheridan has signed on with Paramount+ for $200,000,000.

Goodness gracious. For that amount of money, I sure hope he writes dialogue better! Not a fan…but I do appreciate his cinematography.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell