Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 129696 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #1100 on: January 23, 2022, 06:57:26 pm »
Spend a few $$$ on a ROKU and watch anything you want you old skinflint!    :bolt:

Wouldn't know the first place to look for one.  And just what I need...another remote, log-in and password.  ARRRGHH!!   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online libertybele

« Reply #1101 on: January 23, 2022, 07:02:52 pm »
Wouldn't know the first place to look for one.  And just what I need...another remote, log-in and password.  ARRRGHH!!   :laugh:

Best Buy.  I keep passwords on a 3x5 card.  ....and maybe pick up a remote caddy also.

We have you all fixed up @DCPatriot  :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 07:06:25 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1102 on: January 23, 2022, 07:27:31 pm »
Best Buy.  I keep passwords on a 3x5 card.  ....and maybe pick up a remote caddy also.

We have you all fixed up @DCPatriot  :laugh:

@libertybele
@Bigun 

Thank you so much!  LOL!

I feel like a cat trying to sleep in a crowded room full of rocking chairs.

Realize that you couldn't care less, Earl, but I can't even breathe thinking about the Buffalo Bills going against Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs tonight at 6:30PM.... on CBS and Paramount + ..    :laugh:

Seriously.  If any team is more exciting to watch than the current Buffalo Bills, let me know.  They're electric.

They scored a touchdown on every possession (other than half-ending or kneel-down 4th quarter)  21 of 25 with 5 TD passes and a 157.8 QB rating by Josh Allen, who is a beast!!

Now please...do NOT go out and embarrass me ya bunch of clucks!!   9999hair out0000    :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1103 on: January 23, 2022, 07:36:19 pm »

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=roku&crid=3H88W9VWRRNXA&sprefix=roku%2Caps%2C106&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I watch ROKU much more than regular cable. Don't know what I would do without it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1104 on: January 23, 2022, 07:37:33 pm »
@libertybele
@Bigun 

Thank you so much!  LOL!

Realize that you couldn't care less, Earl, but I can't even breathe thinking about the Buffalo Bills going against Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs tonight at 6:30PM.... on CBS and Paramount + ..    :laugh:

Seriously.  If any team is more exciting to watch than the current Buffalo Bills, let me know.  They're electric.

They scored a touchdown on every possession (other than half-ending or kneel-down 4th quarter)  21 of 25 with 5 TD passes and a 157.8 QB rating by Josh Allen, who is a beast!!

Now please...do NOT go out and embarrass me ya bunch of clucks!!   9999hair out0000    :laugh:

...hmmm.....well @DCPatriot I was born in KC. So, I am a Chief's fan.  :laugh: I'm not much into football, but I do pay attention to the Chiefs.

If I hear you yellin' and grumbling.... I'll know that the Chiefs won.   :beer:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 07:39:22 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1105 on: January 23, 2022, 07:40:11 pm »
@libertybele
@Bigun 

Thank you so much!  LOL!

I sincerely hope you enjoy the game, David.  I won't be watching. @DCPatriot
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1106 on: January 23, 2022, 09:35:21 pm »
Who are the Cowboys playing today?  Oh wait, they're not.

BWAAAAHAAAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1107 on: January 23, 2022, 09:44:13 pm »

@DCPatriot

You can buy one from Roku or from Amazon.  Buy the $69 one unless you are hard of hearing. The 100 buck version comes with Bose wireless headphones.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1108 on: January 23, 2022, 09:47:48 pm »

@DCPatriot

The ROKU remote pretty much replaces all your others. It even turns your tv on and off.

And if your version of Windows doesn't save your log-in ID's and passwords,it is the only one I have ever heard of.

I am one of those paranoid people who uses a different username and password for each site I visit,and I just save them all on a thumb drive. When I need to "remember" one,I just plug in the thumb drive,and there it is!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1109 on: January 23, 2022, 11:40:21 pm »
Thanks, @sneakypete

I'll get one this week.   :beer:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1110 on: January 24, 2022, 01:45:50 am »
"LORDY!  LORDY, Miss McGAVERN!!"

My BP's thru the roof!!   :laugh:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1111 on: January 24, 2022, 01:49:27 am »
Tom Brady lost.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1112 on: January 24, 2022, 01:59:27 am »
Tom Brady lost.

:laugh: 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1113 on: January 24, 2022, 02:30:34 am »
I'M DYING HERE!!!     happy77

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1114 on: January 24, 2022, 09:42:55 am »
@roamer_1

Believe it or not,me!

I have no rational explanation for how this happens to be true.
Me neither. I think it is because a guy tends to run faster without all those clothes slowing him down... :whistle:
(not to mention hide a mite better....)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1115 on: January 24, 2022, 11:53:04 am »
@DCPatriot

The ROKU remote pretty much replaces all your others. It even turns your tv on and off.

And if your version of Windows doesn't save your log-in ID's and passwords,it is the only one I have ever heard of.

I am one of those paranoid people who uses a different username and password for each site I visit,and I just save them all on a thumb drive. When I need to "remember" one,I just plug in the thumb drive,and there it is!

It wouldn't hurt to make yourself a copy of that thumb drive to be safe. When I first worked at Nasa, they didn't have a distributed login system. Every 30 days I'd have to change my passwords, all different, on around 30 machines I worked on separately. And they said you couldn't write them down. Yea Right. No thumb drives back then, in the 8in floppy days.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1116 on: January 24, 2022, 03:08:56 pm »
Two things, please?

1) The opening scene of the new season of Ozark begins with this James Dean look-a-like driving along the water coast/cliffs...his hair blowing with the window open.  Blaring thru the speakers... I'M YOUR VEHICLE BABY, by the Ides of March.   You assume he's driving a Mazerati or Porsche.

Camera pulls away as he exits the car and it's a rusted out Ford Pinto or Fairlane or Chrysler K Car.   ROFL!!

2) Do yourselves a favor.   The best cover band and rendition of this piece I've ever heard.  Very very TIGHT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX8g_JEJol8

That’s a great song and a great cover of a great song. I’ve been following Leonid for several years - they also do covers of Chicago songs. They are fun to watch.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1117 on: January 24, 2022, 03:09:23 pm »
It's not really a big deal. Every web site I am aware of lets you create a new password anytime you want. No big deal because they already have all your ID  info on file.

Offline verga

« Reply #1118 on: January 24, 2022, 05:37:05 pm »
It's not really a big deal. Every web site I am aware of lets you create a new password anytime you want. No big deal because they already have all your ID  info on file.
Okay so we have a Samsung "Smart tv" I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu/ Disney+,Prime video.
We get Peacock, etc.... included with the TV,
What extra would I get with Roku device, and is it a monthly charge?
I would like to get the SYFY channel, but don't want to pay the extra subscription charge for 1-2 shows. 
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1119 on: January 24, 2022, 06:45:48 pm »
It wouldn't hurt to make yourself a copy of that thumb drive to be safe. When I first worked at Nasa, they didn't have a distributed login system. Every 30 days I'd have to change my passwords, all different, on around 30 machines I worked on separately. And they said you couldn't write them down. Yea Right. No thumb drives back then, in the 8in floppy days.

I can recommend KeePass - An encrypted, password protected (or several other ways) password vault that is portable (does not require installation), and easy to use. I use computer generated passwords nearly everywhere except my main logins to actual machines (to include the router). Very simple to copy from KeePass into various password elements. And I must since there is no way I would remember a computer generated password.

KeePass serves as my maintainable backup even where it is not normally used - online passwrds are normally managed inside of Firefox - But I am careful to put them into KeePass as well.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1120 on: January 24, 2022, 07:06:19 pm »
Okay so we have a Samsung "Smart tv" I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu/ Disney+,Prime video.
I would like to get the SYFY channel, but don't want to pay the extra subscription charge for 1-2 shows.

I will recommend ROKU. I have two of them. After the initial cost (and I would recommend somewhere around $70 and up - the cheap sticks suck), there need not be any other cost. However, many channels are subscription based - I carry no subscriptions accessed through the ROKU, and find enough to make it enjoyable.

However, your subscriptions will transfer just fine into the ROKU - Depending on the site, you may only have to plug in a username and password into the Roku, or 'activate' the subscription on a new machine... somewhat various and fiddley...but relatively painless after done.

Sci-Fi channel is subscription based on the ROKU, just like it is everywhere.

THE REAL way forward, as I have said so many times, is to learn to find what you want online with a laptop or something... If you can get to it at all, you can get to it on the unguarded internet... Add to that the options you get with a VPN service (can make your PC seem to be in another country which gives you things you can't get here), and the bandit sites (*cough* putlocker *cough*) and there is very little you can;t access one way or another...

At that point, when you have mastered that, hook a PC up to your TV - It can be a pretty crappy secondary machine, or something you found at a flea market... If it has Win10, more than 2 cores, and 16g RAM it will work. You may need to buy a vid card to get DVI or HDMI out (to physically hook to a TV), you may need a wireless NIC (to 'hook' to internet), and you will need a logitech wireless keyboard/glidepad (wallyworld, $30) to operate it from your easy chair...

Now your TV is no different than the laptop (or whatever) you are used to using to cruise around... ANY browser will let you 'cast' to the TV, so you can find what you want in your phone or laptop and providing you are using the same browser in all, you can send the tab to the TV to watch in comfort.

I pay my end of a family account at Netflix... 70 bucks a year... I can get at Prime (because I already pay for it for shipping)... and that is all. All the rest I just go find online.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1121 on: January 24, 2022, 10:59:35 pm »

@verga

I dunno. Maybe another thousand channels,most of which you won't want to watch,but also some real winners,like Brit Box.

IIRC,I pay Roku $8.99 per month,but I do this because for this small fee they pay all the channels I do subscribe to for me,and that way I am not giving out financial info all over the web.

Even then,I pay Roku using PP.

Not sure about a monthly fee for just subscribing to Roku. Been so long I forgot,but since I only pay them $8.99 per month for paying all my subscriptions,I am guessing the basic service is free. Could be wrong,though.

What I DO know to be a fact is I am getting one HELL of a lot more from Roku for a total of less than 100 bucks a month that I ever got from any Dish company I was paying maybe 200 bucks per month.

MY best suggestion is to go to the ROKU website and see what they are offering,what they are charging,and what they offer for extra money.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1122 on: January 24, 2022, 11:03:01 pm »

@roamer_1   @verga

THE REAL way forward, as I have said so many times, is to learn to find what you want online with a laptop or something... If you can get to it at all, you can get to it on the unguarded internet.

Best thing to do is just use the ROKU search engine to find a show you are looking for,and they will list every channel they have that shows it,starting with the ones that show it for free,and then listing the one that charge a fee,starting with the cheapest one.

Hell,you don't even have to type the name in anymore. The ROKU remote allows you to press a button and do a voice search.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1123 on: January 24, 2022, 11:06:59 pm »
Best thing to do is just use the ROKU search engine to find a show you are looking for,and they will list every channel they have that shows it,starting with the ones that show it for free,and then listing the one that charge a fee,starting with the cheapest one.

Hell,you don't even have to type the name in anymore. The ROKU remote allows you to press a button and do a voice search.

meh. I have roku, and as I said, I recommend it... but it is most definitely secondary in this house. The internet is the primary thing on all my TVs, and it is rare that I find something I can't get at.

Offline verga

« Reply #1124 on: January 25, 2022, 12:27:23 pm »
@roamer_1 @sneakypete Thank you for the information.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.