Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 129720 times)

Offline verga

Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #1025 on: January 10, 2022, 12:25:53 pm »
Just finished 'Don't look up' on NetFlix. Very pretentious movie with a very predictable storyline.
Talk about 'over-produced'. The whole movie could have been a single Twilight Zone episode.

Imagine if you will, a two and a half hour film, with the story of a half hour skit ...
You have just entered ... "The Twilight Zone!"

We were able to stomach about 30 minutes of that POS.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #1026 on: January 10, 2022, 10:51:45 pm »
Saturday and Sunday evenings I watched "Intolerance" by D.W. Griffith, made in 1916. I'd never seen it before. Almost 3 hours, an epic of early filmmaking...

Online libertybele

« Reply #1027 on: January 10, 2022, 10:56:24 pm »
Last night we watched 1883, the prequel to Yellowstone. I love stories/movies about the 'Old West'.  So far, I'm enjoying it. I've only watched the first 2 episodes, so I have some catching up to do.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #1028 on: January 10, 2022, 10:59:44 pm »
Last night we watched 1883, the prequel to Yellowstone. I love stories/movies about the 'Old West'.  So far, I'm enjoying it. I've only watched the first 2 episodes, so I have some catching up to do.

I liked it too but I will have to pay Paramount to see anymore episodes.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

« Reply #1029 on: January 10, 2022, 11:08:53 pm »
I liked it too but I will have to pay Paramount to see anymore episodes.

We cut a few channels out of our Comcast channel line up to pay for Paramount+. What a joke trying to deal with Comcast; it's always a nightmare. We wound up subscribing to Paramount through Roku because we kept getting error messages through Comcast.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Comcast once I got through and wound up only getting a few dollars off because Comcast raised their rates again -- they've got it so they don't break down the dollar amounts for cable and internet and the cable 'dude' only kept giving me prices of packages -- I don't use the word hate very often, but I hate Comcast.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #1030 on: January 10, 2022, 11:18:07 pm »
Am enjoying the hell out of "World War II in Color: The Road To Victory"
Since it's on Netflix, some of the personality descriptions of major players must be taken with a shaker of salt.  :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #1031 on: January 10, 2022, 11:21:47 pm »
We cut a few channels out of our Comcast channel line up to pay for Paramount+. What a joke trying to deal with Comcast; it's always a nightmare. We wound up subscribing to Paramount through Roku because we kept getting error messages through Comcast.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Comcast once I got through and wound up only getting a few dollars off because Comcast raised their rates again -- they've got it so they don't break down the dollar amounts for cable and internet and the cable 'dude' only kept giving me prices of packages -- I don't use the word hate very often, but I hate Comcast.

We have Comcast internet so I know how you feel...for tv we have Direct TV..every year I have to negotiate our bill..which is hard because Mike never wants to give up any channels..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #1032 on: January 12, 2022, 05:04:22 pm »
"Big Timber" on Netflix is pretty good IMO.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1033 on: January 15, 2022, 02:49:08 am »
Just finished Mr. Robot.  It got kind of weird at the end, but the bad guys lost.  Elliot had some insane hacking skills.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

« Reply #1034 on: January 15, 2022, 03:03:27 am »
We have Comcast internet so I know how you feel...for tv we have Direct TV..every year I have to negotiate our bill..which is hard because Mike never wants to give up any channels..lol

I'm trying to get hubby to just get basic cable. We have Roku, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and probably something else-- seriously -- it's not like he watches more than one channel at a time ... lol

Note to self:  I promise I will never try to negotiate with Comcast ever again.  That is no longer my job! $25.00 is not worth multiple phone calls and spending over an hour on the phone and dealing with high blood pressure (I normally run pretty low).

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1035 on: January 15, 2022, 04:23:08 am »
Note to self:  I promise I will never try to negotiate with Comcast ever again.  That is no longer my job! $25.00 is not worth multiple phone calls and spending over an hour on the phone and dealing with high blood pressure (I normally run pretty low).

I swore an oath to myself to never ever ever do business with a cable company ever again.  They all suck.  Comcast.  Charter.  Infinity.  Every single one of them.  They all suck.  Cable companies are plagued with a monopoly mentality.

I currently have U-Verse, but only because it is basically free.  I may be one of the last people on earth that still has a 48VDC land line (which I wish to keep).  So between it, internet, and cell service, if I drop the TV portion, my bill will actually increase.  I like the U-Verse selection.  I get Fox and OAN, the Hitler (History) channel, military history channel, Paramount, IFC(?) the Battlebots channel (?), shows on people who live off the grid like Roamer and Joe, & other stuff my wife watches (mystery shows, Castle, etc.)

If you go with U-verse, the secret is to get the deal now.  Then a couple of months before the contract ends, call them back to negotiate a new deal.  The group that answers those calls have much better leeway to negotiate than the people you get once your 'deal' runs out and your price already got jacked up.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1036 on: January 15, 2022, 04:34:01 am »
I swore an oath to myself to never ever ever do business with a cable company ever again.  They all suck.  Comcast.  Charter.  Infinity.  Every single one of them.  They all suck.  Cable companies are plagued with a monopoly mentality.

I am on Charter - And I love it. Bangin good bandwidth, rare breakdowns... But I only do internet and VOIP phone... No CableTV

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1037 on: January 15, 2022, 08:30:28 am »

I currently have U-Verse, but only because it is basically free.  I may be one of the last people on earth that still has a 48VDC land line (which I wish to keep).  So between it, internet, and cell service, if I drop the TV portion, my bill will actually increase.  I like the U-Verse selection.  I get Fox and OAN, the Hitler (History) channel, military history channel, Paramount, IFC(?) the Battlebots channel (?), shows on people who live off the grid like Roamer and Joe, & other stuff my wife watches (mystery shows, Castle, etc.)

If you go with U-verse, the secret is to get the deal now.  Then a couple of months before the contract ends, call them back to negotiate a new deal.  The group that answers those calls have much better leeway to negotiate than the people you get once your 'deal' runs out and your price already got jacked up.

@Hoodat

I will never understand why people are willing to deal with that crap and pay those stoopid  prices,when they can buy a ROKU player for 68 bucks and have literally hundreds of free channels.

Hell,I have several Premium Channels I subscribe to like HBO,and pay less than 100 bucks a month.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1038 on: January 15, 2022, 11:08:08 am »
My apartment complex has a deal with Comcast. You MUST use Comcast, and no other company. Considering there’s 998 apts in this complex, that’s some good deal Comcast must have made.

My bill is about 100 a month-just basic cable and internet. Then I have a separate account for both Netflix and Prime.

I get what you all are saying about customer service. It’s  9999hair out0000

So I’m attaching a cartoon that I hope makes people laugh. It’s so accurate!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1041 on: January 15, 2022, 02:56:50 pm »
My apartment complex has a deal with Comcast. You MUST use Comcast, and no other company. Considering there’s 998 apts in this complex, that’s some good deal Comcast must have made.

My bill is about 100 a month-just basic cable and internet. Then I have a separate account for both Netflix and Prime.

@Gefn

Ok,so HOW does that keep you from cancelling Comcast and just using a ROKU? You still have a telephone line coming in to your apt,and the ROKU operates off your wi-fi.

Your partmint management can do NOTHING to prevent you from doing this unless paying Comcast is a part of your rental/purchase agreement. AFAIK,thee isn't even anyway they can tell you are using a ROKU because it doesn't interfere with your telephone calls.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1042 on: January 15, 2022, 03:22:48 pm »
Anyone watching Hanna

I am. Just started Season 2.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1043 on: January 15, 2022, 08:18:07 pm »

@Gefn

Ok,so HOW does that keep you from cancelling Comcast and just using a ROKU? You still have a telephone line coming in to your apt,and the ROKU operates off your wi-fi.

Your partmint management can do NOTHING to prevent you from doing this unless paying Comcast is a part of your rental/purchase agreement. AFAIK,thee isn't even anyway they can tell you are using a ROKU because it doesn't interfere with your telephone calls.

@sneakypete

Won’t I need Comcast for internet if I buy a Roku stick?

Sigh, hardware confuses me sometimes
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1044 on: January 15, 2022, 08:26:44 pm »
@sneakypete

Yes, that's the catch.  You still need internet (though not necessarily cable internet).

The problem with cable is that it is designed for traffic in only one direction.  Upload speeds are great.  But for downloads, not so much.  My church made the mistake of getting cable internet.  The lag in following services online was unbearable.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1045 on: January 15, 2022, 08:46:34 pm »
Occasionally watching Better Off Ted on HULU.
Sexualized very quirky comedy. But yes, it's OK.
Can usually tolerate one or two, sometimes three at a time.
It is not something I could binge watch.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1046 on: January 15, 2022, 09:07:56 pm »
Yes, that's the catch.  You still need internet (though not necessarily cable internet).

The problem with cable is that it is designed for traffic in only one direction.  Upload speeds are great.  But for downloads, not so much.  My church made the mistake of getting cable internet.  The lag in following services online was unbearable.

Nah.. It is artificially throttled. At one time I had 100 up from here.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1047 on: January 15, 2022, 09:15:23 pm »
@sneakypete

YES... It is best to divide Cable from CableTV for the purpose of this conversation. You DO need the cable for internet. But you may or may not need the CableTV package. In my case, I buy the internet service from the cable company, but I have no CableTV. I don't watch it anyway, and it saves me somewhere between 40 and 50 bucks a month to go without it... not to mention even more for their decoder box that I would have to have on three machines...

You might check with your landlord as to whether you need to carry the basic cabletv package or not, But probably it is built into the rental agreement and you are going to get it whether you want it or not. Apartment dwellers here it is just all built into the rent.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1048 on: January 15, 2022, 09:56:32 pm »
Got an email from Netflix this afternoon which said, "How are you enjoying watching Stargate?". During the time I was watching Stargate. They meant it to be endearing, like we are 'buddies' something like that, but instead it creeped me out to know some autobot was monitoring me in real time. To me it felt like an email someone would get from a stalker.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1049 on: January 15, 2022, 10:12:01 pm »
Got an email from Netflix this afternoon which said, "How are you enjoying watching Stargate?". During the time I was watching Stargate. They meant it to be endearing, like we are 'buddies' something like that, but instead it creeped me out to know some autobot was monitoring me in real time. To me it felt like an email someone would get from a stalker.

Yeah, I get one of those emails every time I watch midget porn.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-