Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 129673 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #725 on: September 20, 2021, 12:52:05 am »
We bought a 65" TV today and do streaming with Hulu, Paramount, Disney, ESPN and PBS. I don't watch TV but my wife has been bingeing Perry Mason and Hawaii Five 0. I finally talked her into The Mandalorian.

@Restored

You can count me in as a Mandolarian fan,even though I have to watch it on a tiny 52  inch screen.

Think it's too soon for me to start asking for pledges so I can upgrade my teebee?

BTW,if you don't have a ROKU,you owe it to yourself to get one. Seriously.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #726 on: September 20, 2021, 12:53:59 am »
I only watch off and on, but I just finished watching the 635th episode of Gunsmoke. I think Have Gun Will Travel will be next.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #727 on: September 20, 2021, 12:55:18 am »
I watch Youtube mostly, occasionally a Netflix or other true crime documentary.

I'm sorta a serial killer fanatic. :D

That and robot vacuums.

Yeah I have strange interests.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #728 on: September 20, 2021, 01:22:38 am »
I watch Youtube mostly, occasionally a Netflix or other true crime documentary.

I'm sorta a serial killer fanatic. :D

That and robot vacuums.

Yeah I have strange interests.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I am a huge fan of historical dramas and detective/spy shows.

Which means I watch a LOT of Brit Box. NOBODY does this stuff as good as the British.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #729 on: September 20, 2021, 01:41:14 am »
We loved Longmire! Will probably rewatch it this winter.
Doc Martin was a fun one, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #730 on: September 20, 2021, 12:00:20 pm »
Just re-watched the 2-season classic MARCO POLO on Netflix.  (It is a Harvey Weinstein production)

By far, the best production on the genre that I've ever seen.  Casting is second to none!  Riveting!

A story of a young Marco Polo who is left in the company of Kublai Khan, the grandson of Genghis Khan as he expands his Mongolian empire into China.

If you don't watch anything the rest of the year, try not to miss this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4d6zUIxfes

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline verga

« Reply #731 on: September 20, 2021, 12:03:54 pm »
I am watching (well, sort of half watching. it plays in the background while i'm on video games) the stupidest show which has ever existed on planet Earth. In fact when I describe it, many will think I am joking. But I'm not. That's how far-out it is.

It is a show on NetFlix called 'Lucifer'. It is about the Devil comes to Earth. He opens a nightclub, and joins up with a detective to 'solve crimes'. Yep. The Devil becomes a kind of 'Batman' crime fighting character with supernatural 'powers', by teaming up with a Police detective. It is so incredibly stupid that I just had to watch it.

What I would give to be in on the 'pitch' when someone sold this ridiculous concept to Netflix. Ok, so you're selling us a show where the Devil comes to Earth as a kind of super hero with 'powers' and starts fighting crime with a hot female detective? Sounds Great! I'm in! When do we start filming? LOL!

It is not an animation but even so, I see it as more of a live action comic book than an actual show. The only way you can watch this insanity is to drop any rational thoughts or critique and to just see it as stupid fun.
Watched the fist 2-3 episodes on network tv. Couldn't take much more than that.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #732 on: September 20, 2021, 12:37:50 pm »
If anyone is interested, here’s the complete list of 2021 Emmy award winners and nominees.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/2021-emmy-awards-winners-nominees-list/

I put the following shows on my watch list

“Hacks”
“Ted Lasso”
“Mare of Easttown”
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #733 on: September 20, 2021, 12:58:01 pm »
If anyone is interested, here’s the complete list of 2021 Emmy award winners and nominees.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/2021-emmy-awards-winners-nominees-list/

I put the following shows on my watch list

“Hacks”
“Ted Lasso”
“Mare of Easttown”

@Gefn

Never heard of any of them? Are they cable shows?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #734 on: September 20, 2021, 03:56:31 pm »
@Restored

Think it's too soon for me to start asking for pledges so I can upgrade my teebee?

BTW,if you don't have a ROKU,you owe it to yourself to get one. Seriously.

The new TV was $700. I probably should have gone to a 120hz refresh rate but they are hard to find.

I have a Roku on the 3rd and 1st floor. My man cave is on the 1st floor. 43" with a Roku addin. 3rd floor (wife cave) is a 32" native Roku. If I decide we need a 120hz, I'll take the 65" to the 3rd floor.

Now to get speakers for it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0886B1TWC/
Countdown to Resignation

BassWrangler

« Reply #735 on: September 20, 2021, 04:05:04 pm »
Rewatched Season 2 of "Lost in Space" on Netflix. Was hoping for a new season by now.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #736 on: September 20, 2021, 04:15:03 pm »
The new TV was $700. I probably should have gone to a 120hz refresh rate but they are hard to find.

I can't remember for sure what I paid for my big Samsung,but I am pretty sure it was close to a grand. Maybe even more. I was replacing a tv so old that remotes weren't even offered when it was new,and even then I only replaced it because it died.

Since I was replacing it anyhow,I decided to spend big bucks and get something nice.

Been using it for years now without a single complaint,and will probably still be watching it the day I die. I can't find a single reason to find fault with it,and I am waaaay too cheap to buy a new tv just because it is a new tv.

I do have to admit that adding the ROKU as well as a box dedicated to broadcast channels was a big help,too. Some of those old black and white tv series are genuine gems. Stuff like Masterpiece Theater,You Bet Your Life,Kraft Mystery Theatre,and Alfred Hitchcock Presents,etc,etc,etc are still true gems,even after all these years.

I also get local news and weather on the broadcast box,and since I only paid $39 for it with the remote,it was a bargain. I can even use it to record broadcast channels if I want.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #737 on: September 20, 2021, 04:21:48 pm »
Rewatched Season 2 of "Lost in Space" on Netflix. Was hoping for a new season by now.

@BassWrangler

LOTS of new programs are starting to drop now. Production stopped on most of them due to the Covid scam,but they are back in production now.

One I am losing my patience waiting for is the Prequel to Game of Thrones. It would take something on the order of nukes exploding close to my house to get me to miss the premier of that one!

Not just me,either. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be one of the writers or directors if it sucks. They will need more bodyguards than an African dictator.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #738 on: September 20, 2021, 04:35:38 pm »
@Gefn

Never heard of any of them? Are they cable shows?

Yes. @sneakypete
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

BassWrangler

« Reply #739 on: September 20, 2021, 04:40:31 pm »
@BassWrangler

LOTS of new programs are starting to drop now. Production stopped on most of them due to the Covid scam,but they are back in production now.

One I am losing my patience waiting for is the Prequel to Game of Thrones. It would take something on the order of nukes exploding close to my house to get me to miss the premier of that one!

Not just me,either. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be one of the writers or directors if it sucks. They will need more bodyguards than an African dictator.

@sneakypete - looks like there's a prequel to "The Sopranos" coming out too. I saw a trailer for it a few days ago.

Regarding "Lost in Space", apparently they've finished Season 3 but are going to sit on it until September 2022...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #740 on: September 20, 2021, 04:54:32 pm »
@sneakypete - looks like there's a prequel to "The Sopranos" coming out too. I saw a trailer for it a few days ago.

Regarding "Lost in Space", apparently they've finished Season 3 but are going to sit on it until September 2022...

@BassWrangler

The Sopranos was a show I made sure I never missed.

BassWrangler

« Reply #741 on: September 20, 2021, 04:56:34 pm »
@BassWrangler

The Sopranos was a show I made sure I never missed.

@sneakypete same here. Great show.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #742 on: September 20, 2021, 05:30:34 pm »
I love the wireless feature.  No cables to deal with. I think the whole thing costs about $100 a month which is much cheaper than Comcast. Internet is $50 for 350mbps download. Comcast was about $225 a month for everything.
Vizio has a Free app with lots of channels  https://www.bingegauge.com/list-vizio-smartcast-tv-watchfree-channels/

I won't live long enough to watch all this stuff. ESPN Classic would be a serious hole to throw time into if I went down that path.

Countdown to Resignation

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #743 on: September 20, 2021, 05:46:26 pm »
Watched the fist 2-3 episodes on network tv. Couldn't take much more than that.
2 or 3 episodes is all you need. They are all the same. The Devil is mad at God and his 'brothers' who show up now and then. The ever present "will they - won't they" between the Devil and the hot detective.

You really have to want to see Lauren German (the detective) naked to mire through this Scooby Doo/Batman show. The major plot is, "will we get to see her titties?" when she finally screws Lucifer? Everybody is screwing everybody except Lucifer and the detective. Because ... you know ... they have to save that.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:03:27 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #744 on: September 20, 2021, 06:05:05 pm »

I can't remember for sure what I paid for my big Samsung,but I am pretty sure it was close to a grand. Maybe even more. I was replacing a tv so old that remotes weren't even offered when it was new,and even then I only replaced it because it died.

Since I was replacing it anyhow,I decided to spend big bucks and get something nice.

@sneakypete
I ain't never paid more than 150 bucks for a tv, and I probably never will. The one I have now, I think it's 52"(?), was free. The one before it was 48" and cost me 75 bucks... Easy to come by and dirt cheap... Usually with a minor problem, easily fixed.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #745 on: September 20, 2021, 06:21:20 pm »
@sneakypete
I ain't never paid more than 150 bucks for a tv, and I probably never will. The one I have now, I think it's 52"(?), was free. The one before it was 48" and cost me 75 bucks... Easy to come by and dirt cheap... Usually with a minor problem, easily fixed.

@roamer_1

Well,they are all minor problems if you know how to fix them. Not so minor if you don't.

And to be totally truthful,I have had so many memory problems since they nuked me with radiation and chemo that even *I* don't trust my memory anymore.

My patience sucks even more than my memory.

To add to that,money doesn't mean a damn thing to me as long as I am not homeless or hungry,so I don't mind spending it on things that please and entertain me. After all,what else is it good for?

If my old Samsun tv dies today,I AM going to have a new one playing in my house tomorrow. I owe it to myself.

Well,the truth is I have a old 32 inch flat screen in my shop that I bought a day or two before I got sick,and for all practical purposes it is new. I doubt it has 3 hours on it. I got too sick to go out to the shop to work,so I never had any reason to play it. I can use that one to get by with until I can find and buy the bigger one that best fits my needs.

Yes,I DO know people who are too cheap to even spend money on themselves,but I ain't one of them and am making no apologies for it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #746 on: September 20, 2021, 06:31:36 pm »
I love the wireless feature.  No cables to deal with. I think the whole thing costs about $100 a month which is much cheaper than Comcast. Internet is $50 for 350mbps download. Comcast was about $225 a month for everything.
Vizio has a Free app with lots of channels  https://www.bingegauge.com/list-vizio-smartcast-tv-watchfree-channels/

I won't live long enough to watch all this stuff. ESPN Classic would be a serious hole to throw time into if I went down that path.

@Restored
I can't remember what I pay,but with my ROKU and my Amazon Prime connection,I seriously doubt it's 75 bucks a month. Most of the stuff on the ROKU is free (Literally thousands of channels,but most not worth watching),and I do subscribe to Netflix and Brit Box.

To be honest,that pretty much covers anything I have any interest in watching. I may have a couple of the $4.95 to $8.95 channel subscription that are automatically paid throug ROKU that I can't think of right now,but that's it.

Oh,I also pull in 40+ free broadcast channels from my $45 RCA antenna I have mounted on a steel pole (think "ground") outside the house. I mostly watch my favorite oldies like the Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents on them,plus the local news and weather. I can record them on a thumb drive,but why bother when everything is always playing somewhere every day for free?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #747 on: September 20, 2021, 06:47:21 pm »

Well,they are all minor problems if you know how to fix them. Not so minor if you don't.

And to be totally truthful,I have had so many memory problems since they nuked me with radiation and chemo that even *I* don't trust my memory anymore.

My patience sucks even more than my memory.

@sneakypete

See, all that just means you need to find you a good back alley electronics operator, or a buy/sell guy for a buddy... I happen to be both, but I am too far away to help you. If he's your pal, he'll take a nick out of the middle (finder's fee), but treat you way better than the rubes... I know because I do it all the time.

The problem with most folks is they wait till there is a catastrophic failure and are forced to buy.... If you are in a demand situation, you are guaranteed to pay through the nose. The chances that something would be coming down the proverbial river at the same time as your need are astronomical...  Which forces a retail purchase.

But if a feller pays mind to the river day by day, you'd be surprised what comes floating along... I ain't lost a tv in a decade. I find an upgrade cheap along the way, and sell the one I have to cover whatever cost and maybe a tidy profit.

Yes,I DO know people who are too cheap to even spend money on themselves,but I ain't one of them and am making no apologies for it.

It ain't like that. I live well. My frugality is more about living well within my means, and re-instituting savings as a primary directive - Forcing myself off the credit card train, and back into a country way of being was a hard thing to do. But it ain't none of it about being 'too cheap'. I live better now than I ever did following city protocols.

Online corbe

« Reply #748 on: September 20, 2021, 08:19:29 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #749 on: September 20, 2021, 09:00:42 pm »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.