Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 129701 times)

BassWrangler

Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2021, 05:10:33 pm »
@BassWrangler

BTW,it is also available on HULU. I am watching it there now because I get a better signal.

Thanks. We went with YouTube TV over Hulu. Similar service, but we liked the "infinite DVR" feature in YTV

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2021, 05:22:04 pm »
Thanks. We went with YouTube TV over Hulu. Similar service, but we liked the "infinite DVR" feature in YTV

Let's see... should I subscribe to a half-dozen streaming services EACH at $16 to $35 per month?  Or, should I drop one of the major movie channels to get my monthly Verizon bill under $234.00?

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

BassWrangler

« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2021, 06:00:03 pm »
Let's see... should I subscribe to a half-dozen streaming services EACH at $16 to $35 per month?  Or, should I drop one of the major movie channels to get my monthly Verizon bill under $234.00?

At the time we switch to YoutubeTV, we were paying $110/month to DirecTV. I was happy with DirecTV service and quality, but that's a lot of money for what we were getting out of it. At the time, YouTube TV was $49.99. We have an awesome internet connection here, so we decided to try it out (for free) for a month. After the month, even the wife didn't have any complaints, so we dumped DirecTV.   Since then, YoutubeTV has raised the price to $65. I'm not sure we'll keep it long term, as $65 is more than I think it's worth now that I've dumped Fox News and the NFL. But I am trying to ration out the changes so my wife doesn't freak out, so for now we're keeping it.

One thing I noticed is that if you don't insist on watching TV series the same year they release, you can just watch them a year or two later on Amazon or Netflix. So the Live TV thing is only really necessary for sports and news.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2021, 06:10:12 pm »
At the time we switch to YoutubeTV, we were paying $110/month to DirecTV. I was happy with DirecTV service and quality, but that's a lot of money for what we were getting out of it. At the time, YouTube TV was $49.99. We have an awesome internet connection here, so we decided to try it out (for free) for a month. After the month, even the wife didn't have any complaints, so we dumped DirecTV.   Since then, YoutubeTV has raised the price to $65. I'm not sure we'll keep it long term, as $65 is more than I think it's worth now that I've dumped Fox News and the NFL. But I am trying to ration out the changes so my wife doesn't freak out, so for now we're keeping it.

One thing I noticed is that if you don't insist on watching TV series the same year they release, you can just watch them a year or two later on Amazon or Netflix. So the Live TV thing is only really necessary for sports and news.

I guess we all got a game plan. 

(1) Best antenna we could find for local channels. (no reoccuring charges)
(2) Netflix $10/mo that we share with one of our kids
(3) Same kid gets Amazon Prime that he he shares with us ($0/mo)
(4) Sling for us $27/mo

For so $37/mo, we pretty have more TV options that we would or could ever need.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

BassWrangler

« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2021, 06:36:05 pm »

(4) Sling for us $27/mo

That's pretty good, except that I guess you don't get the ability to DVR local channels unless you buy or build some hardware to do that.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2021, 06:40:35 pm »
That's pretty good, except that I guess you don't get the ability to DVR local channels unless you buy or build some hardware to do that.

You get 25 hours of DVR free with Sling. That allows me to get to see Oak Island on the side.  (Show drives my wife crazy)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2021, 07:11:28 pm »

@BassWrangler

Why would you think that? Granted,she/he has different equipment than me,but I see no reason my ROKU would have any advantage over his or her setup because recording local "over the air broadcast channels" is ONLY related to your antenna signals. I have a 40 buck RCA antenna and pull in 43 channels with it,and the closest broadcast tower is over 50 miles away. I just bought and hooked a VCR to my control box,and can not only record broadcast channels,but can record them while watching channels I pull in on my ROKU.

I SUPPOSE it is possible to record streaming channels from my ROKU,but have no idea why anyone would want to. That stuff is there anytime of the day or night you want to watch it,so why bother recording it?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2021, 07:16:10 pm »
@BassWrangler

Why would you think that? Granted,she/he has different equipment than me,but I see no reason my ROKU would have any advantage over his or her setup because recording local "over the air broadcast channels" is ONLY related to your antenna signals. I have a 40 buck RCA antenna and pull in 43 channels with it,and the closest broadcast tower is over 50 miles away. I just bought and hooked a VCR to my control box,and can not only record broadcast channels,but can record them while watching channels I pull in on my ROKU.

I SUPPOSE it is possible to record streaming channels from my ROKU,but have no idea why anyone would want to. That stuff is there anytime of the day or night you want to watch it,so why bother recording it?

I noticed my Roku has a STRR app, which appears to have content from local stations already. Haven't tried, but my antenna (suggested a year or so ago by you) gives me all the major networks anyway., plus a few side ones like ME TV, H and I , and others.

As far as DVR, see above for my example above of watching Oak Island via Sling (which operates just like cable), which my wife hates. That comes in handy.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:17:15 pm by catfish1957 »

BassWrangler

« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2021, 09:30:52 pm »
@BassWrangler

Just talking about the over-the-air stuff, not streaming. I'm not willing to fall back to 1980s technology and VCR a high def signal. But, I don't really watch local stuff anyway (except football, which i get via streaming).

BassWrangler

« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2021, 10:36:52 pm »
You get 25 hours of DVR free with Sling. That allows me to get to see Oak Island on the side.  (Show drives my wife crazy)

@catfish1957

That's hilarious because I also watch this show, and it used to drive my wife crazy. We used to joke about how each 45 minute long show had maybe 5 minutes of new content, the rest being recaps of stuff they'd already recapped dozens of times. They dialed WAY back on that, and now it's much more watchable.

However, I do still get some amusement about how they liberally interpret some of the "science". For example, they send something off for carbon dating. Now carbon dating is going to give you not a definitive age of something, but rather a range of ages within which you have some probability of the actual age occurring (a confidence interval). For example, it might say that we there is a 95% probability that this tree was cut down after 1600 and before 1750. Now in "The Curse of Oak Island", they would say "1600??!?" and then that announcer would come on and say "Wood from the 1600s? Could this be evidence, that...", when in reality that might mean the wood is from 1750 or even later.

Anyway, I do enjoy the show. Even with all the hype, it's clear that there was something going on there that we don't understand. I tend to believe that there actually was some treasure there, but that this former slave that used to own part of the island found it and the money was spent long ago.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:41:18 pm by BassWrangler »

BassWrangler

« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2021, 10:40:03 pm »
I noticed my Roku has a STRR app, which appears to have content from local stations already. Haven't tried, but my antenna (suggested a year or so ago by you) gives me all the major networks anyway., plus a few side ones like ME TV, H and I , and others.

As far as DVR, see above for my example above of watching Oak Island via Sling (which operates just like cable), which my wife hates. That comes in handy.

With YouTube TV, you just tell it which shows you are interested in, and YouTube puts them in your "Library", where you can stream them whenever you want. There is no practical limit or rush to watch shows. I think when we looked at Hulu, there was some limit, and so that's one reason we went with YouTube. Given how little I use it, there's no practical benefit for me, but my wife has a crap-load of these home fix-it/DIY type shows, so it might be an issue there. In any event, it seems like the two services cost the same now.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2021, 11:30:26 pm »
Seems like one of my favorite pastimes now is to watch black people react to Pink Floyd on You Tube. You have to see some of these for yourself to believe them.

They never seem to know what to say or how to describe it,so I tell some of them "You have just had a spiritual orgasm".

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2021, 12:06:24 am »
@catfish1957

That's hilarious because I also watch this show, and it used to drive my wife crazy. We used to joke about how each 45 minute long show had maybe 5 minutes of new content, the rest being recaps of stuff they'd already recapped dozens of times. They dialed WAY back on that, and now it's much more watchable.

However, I do still get some amusement about how they liberally interpret some of the "science". For example, they send something off for carbon dating. Now carbon dating is going to give you not a definitive age of something, but rather a range of ages within which you have some probability of the actual age occurring (a confidence interval). For example, it might say that we there is a 95% probability that this tree was cut down after 1600 and before 1750. Now in "The Curse of Oak Island", they would say "1600??!?" and then that announcer would come on and say "Wood from the 1600s? Could this be evidence, that...", when in reality that might mean the wood is from 1750 or even later.

Anyway, I do enjoy the show. Even with all the hype, it's clear that there was something going on there that we don't understand. I tend to believe that there actually was some treasure there, but that this former slave that used to own part of the island found it and the money was spent long ago.

Agree 100%.  For me the show kind runs along a number things that are interesting to me....  History, Engineering, Problem Solving, Treasure Hinting, and Scentific fornesics.

The practice saying everybodys name over and over, and rehashing was as exactly as you stated, was a attempt at fillers.   It is a guilty pleasure for me, not matter how flawed the show it.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2021, 12:38:07 am »
My wife and I are currently rewatching season 4 of The Expanse on Amazon Prime before starting the brand-new season 5 (so we can remember the state of the plot threads that will continue -- the main story of Season 4, which is essentially a Western, ends, but the parallel stories happening elsewhere go on):  serious space opera set in the 23rd century -- Earth and the Moon controlled by a one-world government grown from the United Nations (but with the Secretary General elected by popular vote), Mars colonized and independent (evidently after a war of independence), with a culture that feels American, even has a VA, albeit with freedoms restricted by the constraints of living entirely in cities carved into the rock (that give the feel of living in a shopping mall), and the Belt -- the asteroid belt and the moons of the outer planets -- as a lawless frontier where the prospectors have their own nuclear bombs for disassembling asteroids, hauling ice from comets to provide water for the larger colonized asteroids is a serious business, the locals speak an English based pidgin with African and Chinese words, and the nascent government is regarded as terrorists by the "Inners" as they call people from Earth, the Moon and Mars.

Well, that's how it starts.  And it gets weirder and more complicated from there.  It's predicated on our having managed to build high-yield fusion reactors and from them fusion drives for space ships, ignoring the dangers to fast moving space ships posed micro-meteors, and on our solar system having been visited by aliens, who aren't around any more, but left things behind.  It's a rollicking good tale if you ignore the implausibilities (which are minuscule compared to the implausibilities of Star Trek).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 02:07:34 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2021, 06:50:53 pm »
Another season of Outlander on Netflix.  Enjoyed this show very much.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2021, 07:12:41 pm »
I started watching “Alfred Hitchcock Presents” on Peacock.

I’m really enjoying it.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2021, 08:50:58 pm »
I started watching “Alfred Hitchcock Presents” on Peacock.

I’m really enjoying it.

@Gefn

I am recording and watching it on one of the weird local broadcast channels. Everytime he waddles out on stage and says "Good Even-Ning",I crack up.

ALL the Twilight Zone episodes are being broadcast,too. These were my favorites when I was a kid. Even more than the cowboy movies.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2021, 08:54:40 pm »
Right at this very moment,I am watching the first episodes of "Fast and Loud" on the "Philo" channel on my ROKU.

Its about a hot rod garage in Texas that buys,rebuilds,and sells old cars,hot rods,etc,etc,etc.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2021, 09:48:48 pm »
Right at this very moment,I am watching the first episodes of "Fast and Loud" on the "Philo" channel on my ROKU.

Its about a hot rod garage in Texas that buys,rebuilds,and sells old cars,hot rods,etc,etc,etc.

Watching Netflix, feeling like the guy in the cartoon who's read the entire encyclopedia...looking for something to watch/read.

Anyone who hasn't watched 'Marco Polo' should try.  You will not be disappointed.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2021, 09:54:58 pm »
Watching Netflix, feeling like the guy in the cartoon who's read the entire encyclopedia...looking for something to watch/read.

Anyone who hasn't watched 'Marco Polo' should try.  You will not be disappointed.

@DCPatriot

Try "Homeland","Better Call Saul","Tombstone",or "Ray Donovan".

Or be bold and watch the first 5 episodes of "The Walking Dead" and then try to stop watching it.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #220 on: February 05, 2021, 10:09:14 pm »
@DCPatriot

Try "Homeland","Better Call Saul","Tombstone",or "Ray Donovan".

Or be bold and watch the first 5 episodes of "The Walking Dead" and then try to stop watching it.

LOL!  I've seen all of them.  @sneakypete

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2021, 11:53:24 pm »
I'm hoping to watch "Love on the Spectrum" some time soon.

It's a Netflix series from Australia about those on the autism spectrum and dating. I don't have a Netflix account, but I'm thinking about either a free trial or borrowing some TV time from one of my siblings.

@jmyrlefuller

Being mildly autistic,I watched one episode.

zzzzzz,zzzzzz. There may be a show more boring,but I don't know what it is.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #222 on: February 07, 2021, 12:11:19 am »

(4) Sling for us $27/mo

@catfish1957

I have Britbox,Philo,Starz,HULU,Showtime,and AMC+,and Roku. My total bill is $77.87 a month.

If a show I want to watch is not available on one channel or there is an additional fee to watch it,it is almost always available on another channel I subscribe to for free.

If not now,it will be on one of them for free next year,which works out  because I have plenty of other stuff to watch anyhow.

In addition to that I get Amazon TV for free because I am a member,and over 40 channels for free over my antenna.

I have no idea how many channels I can actually pull in on my Roku for my $11.73 monthly subscription. Must be thousands. I primarily use the ROKU to tune in to the subscription channels because it has it's own tuner,search engine,memory,etc,etc,etc. One spot to go to do all my channel changing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2021, 12:13:15 am »

@BassWrangler

Hulu is $6.41 a month.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #224 on: February 07, 2021, 12:17:13 am »
Just talking about the over-the-air stuff, not streaming. I'm not willing to fall back to 1980s technology and VCR a high def signal. But, I don't really watch local stuff anyway (except football, which i get via streaming).

@BassWrangler

My bad. I have a 1980's brain. I should have written DVR. I have one hooked into my system because I thought I would need it,but haven't used the damn thing once in over 5 years. Still,I can use it to play DVD's if I ever want to. I won't because I am too cheap to buy or rent them,but could if I wanted.