Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 129701 times)

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2021, 09:43:02 am »
The USA lost its way on healthcare, largely due to greed from corporate executives.  I was a director for Blue Cross, the president was making $450,000 per year plus nice perks, but the guy across the street running a steel company was making $2.5 million.  He resented it.

The guy that was in his position just a few years later was making $5 million per year.  Blue Cross got started with legislation from Congress in the 1930s with the intent to provide high quality health care at a modest cost.  No profit, just quality service for the money.  It was then a brilliant concept, noble in fact,  that was ruined with greed.

So, let's reinvent the wheel.  HELL NO!!!  But the greed of health insurance executives have a huge say at the table.  So too do physicians, and pharma companies and on and on.  NOTHING the government has a hand in today will be done well or in the best interest of the people of America.  NOTHING!!!  So, what is the answer?

I spent 20 years inn healthcare, with a focus much of the time on lowering cost.  You want a quality healthcare program at a reasonable cost, you need someone with my background to head up the effort, and NOT answer to anyone representing the major stakeholders.  The moment the person leading the group begins kissing the posterior of any stakeholder, the mission for quality healthcare at optimum cost goes right out the window.

Someone close to me got five liver transplants, each over $1 million in cost, the first was over $2 million in cost, and that was 25 years ago.  What are the costs now?  Double?  Triple?  Quadruple!  ...most likely.  And the funny part, he was not technically eligible for any single one, for he had Hepatitis B.  Back then, the average person extended their life seven years with a liver transplant.  So, Medicaid paid $6 million plus to extend the life of one patient exactly seven years, for he died seven years after the first transplant.  And this is the case of most transplants, where huge sums are spent to provide a few years of life to a very few.  Meanwhile, we provide zero healthcare to 30-35 million people before Obamacare (one of the prime reasons for its being legislated), to what is reported to be 70 million people today without healthcare.  This makes no sense to me.

Given the power, I could construct a healthcare system that covers everyone with basic care, and provides optional programs for additional coverage through insurance companies.  The cost of the program would be a fraction of what it is today.  And the quality would be back to higher levels.  And the fraud would be a fraction, which is huge right now.

The Dems are too dumb to come up with a working sound system, and the Republicans, they are owned by the insurance companies.  With our current form of government, there is no hope of quality healthcare.  NONE!!!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2021, 03:50:29 pm »
The Dems are too dumb to come up with a working sound system, and the Republicans, they are owned by the insurance companies.  With our current form of government, there is no hope of quality healthcare.  NONE!!!

@jafo2010

The rank and file Dims,ARE record-making stoopid,but their handlers are both shrewd and greedy.

When it comes to the combination of graft and greed,the Dims and the RINO's are truly "Brothers in Arms",as well as "Brothers in Kickbacks".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2021, 06:17:48 am »
WTF??

So, I get a bit hooked on JERICHO... a Netflix series that has 22 episodes in Season 1 and then "BAM"...season ends after only 7 episodes into Season 2.

Wondering if Barack Obama and the gang had anything to do with it, since it ends as soon as "Major Beck" realizes that what's going on isn't kosher.

Strange too is that the production of the final episode involved Texas air National Guard shooting down armed 'federal government' jets.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

@sneakypete ? @jafo2010  ??    :shrug:

@DCPatriot

At with your suggestion, we have watched this the past week, and are down to only completing a few episodes.

In Season 2, some of the dialogue and activities gave me shivers.  Much aligned to almost what we are seeing right now minus the atomic  bombing.  The discussions around what happens when the government controls the media narrative?  Yikes, no wonder this thing died.   The government probably had something to do with it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline verga

« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2021, 07:27:56 pm »
Just finished watching the limited series "The Queens Gambit" on Netflix. Short synopsis. A girl is orphaned at about age 9. she is placed in an orphanage and befriends the janitor. He teachers her the fundamentals of chess. It turns out she is a chess prodigy. Great story Great acting. Wife and I were hooked about 15 minutes into the first episode. I think there is a total of 7 episodes.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

BassWrangler

« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2021, 07:38:24 pm »
My wife and I finished all the seasons of Yellowstone. Can't wait for the next season to be released.

We don't have anything else really in the queue now. I ditched Netflix due to the "Cuties" scandal. Still have Amazon Prime, but it seems like every new Amazon show is some woke piece of crap.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2021, 10:04:33 pm »
WTF??

So, I get a bit hooked on JERICHO... a Netflix series that has 22 episodes in Season 1 and then "BAM"...season ends after only 7 episodes into Season 2.

Wondering if Barack Obama and the gang had anything to do with it, since it ends as soon as "Major Beck" realizes that what's going on isn't kosher.

Strange too is that the production of the final episode involved Texas air National Guard shooting down armed 'federal government' jets.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

@sneakypete ? @jafo2010  ??    :shrug:

@DCPatriot

Love to comment,but I haven't watched it yet. Thanks to your post I will start watching it tomorrow,though.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2021, 10:44:05 am »
WTF??

Yeah... Biggest short in TV series history. What a great tale till the very end. Such a disappointment.

It's like the producer came back and said, "Well they just cut the show... We've got $164 bucks left, and a pack of gum. Lets write a fantastic ending!"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What are you watching now?
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2021, 01:50:07 am »
Trying to get caught up on watching "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. It is a series based on the excellent books on English history by Bernard Cromwell,which I definitely recommend to anyone wanting a good read that is also informative and educational about "how and why were got HERE from THERE".

Watched the first two seasons when they came out,and got distracted watching other stuff,and just noticed Season 4 is airing now.

Really good stuff.

BassWrangler

« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2021, 02:07:55 am »
My wife and I have been watching some TV series about hunting bears on Kodiak island.

https://www.history.com/shows/the-hunt

Pretty good. A bit frustrating to watch hunters that can't make a 200 yard shot, but otherwise entertaining.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2021, 02:24:45 am »
Trying to get caught up on watching "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. It is a series based on the excellent books on English history by Bernard Cromwell,which I definitely recommend to anyone wanting a good read that is also informative and educational about "how and why were got HERE from THERE".

Watched the first two seasons when they came out,and got distracted watching other stuff,and just noticed Season 4 is airing now.

Really good stuff.

The Last Kingdom is magnificent, IMO.

Watch Marco Polo when you're finished.  LOL!   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2021, 10:32:21 pm »
@sneakypete     :beer:

The Last Kingdom...  just starting it again.

No better television or entertainment. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2021, 10:36:56 pm »
Trying to get caught up on watching "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. It is a series based on the excellent books on English history by Bernard Cromwell, which I definitely recommend to anyone wanting a good read that is also informative and educational about "how and why were got HERE from THERE".

Watched the first two seasons when they came out, and got distracted watching other stuff, and just noticed Season 4 is airing now.

Really good stuff.

Bernard Cromwell & James Michener both had a talent for making history more intimate. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2021, 11:06:17 pm »
@sneakypete     :beer:

The Last Kingdom...  just starting it again.

No better television or entertainment.

@DCPatriot

True,and the books are damn fine reading,too. Can't recommend them too highly.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2021, 11:07:16 pm »
Bernard Cromwell & James Michener both had a talent for making history more intimate.

@DCPatriot

True dat!

BassWrangler

« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2021, 11:29:04 pm »
Just watched "The Invisible Man (2020)" - good flic!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2021, 11:36:21 pm »
Saturday and Sunday, I watched the first two installments (of four) of the "Lonesome Dove" miniseries. Wasn't sure if I would like it, but it's a good story.

Will watch the final two episodes next weekend.

If (like me) you are "unafraid", you can find a high-quality 720p BluRay copy of it here:
https://tpb21.ukpass.co/description.php?id=14863511

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2021, 11:45:54 pm »
Saturday and Sunday, I watched the first two installments (of four) of the "Lonesome Dove" miniseries. Wasn't sure if I would like it, but it's a good story.

Will watch the final two episodes next weekend.

If (like me) you are "unafraid", you can find a high-quality 720p BluRay copy of it here:
https://tpb21.ukpass.co/description.php?id=14863511

One of my all time favorites, @Fishrrman

:beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2021, 11:58:36 pm »

@Fishrrman

Ahhh,the series "Lonesome Dove" is probably THE best damn thing that has ever been aired on free tv,and better than most of the stuff on pay tv.

Congratulations on finding it and having the courage to view a "old" tv series. You will most definitely be glad you did.

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2021, 02:43:17 am »
Hallmark has some westerns on TV that are decent.  I do not recall the shows' names, but one actor I like is Wes Brown.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2021, 04:53:37 am »
Watching "Big Sky"now. Murder mystery/conspiracy series based in Montana. Started watching it on broadcast tv (ABC,I think),but the signal started getting "iffy" so I am now watching it on HULU.

I was hoping Santa would bring me one of those fancy "motorized antennas" so I could fine tune everything I watch on broadcast tv,but once again he let me down. Seems like you just can't trust anyone anymore.

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2021, 12:21:31 am »
sneakypete

Check out following:     wwtv.world

Huge selection of channels and premium stations for all purposes for as little as $30 per month.

Movies and TV shows out the yingyany.

BassWrangler

« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2021, 12:55:26 am »
Watching "Big Sky"now. Murder mystery/conspiracy series based in Montana. Started watching it on broadcast tv (ABC,I think),but the signal started getting "iffy" so I am now watching it on HULU.

I was hoping Santa would bring me one of those fancy "motorized antennas" so I could fine tune everything I watch on broadcast tv,but once again he let me down. Seems like you just can't trust anyone anymore.

@sneakypete

I watched this - the first series of shows that involve the two girls that are kidnapped. I really enjoyed it, but I guess the show is over for the season?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2021, 02:23:25 am »
@sneakypete

I watched this - the first series of shows that involve the two girls that are kidnapped. I really enjoyed it, but I guess the show is over for the season?

@BassWrangler

I think this is the beginning of Season 2,

BassWrangler

« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2021, 02:36:12 am »
@BassWrangler

I think this is the beginning of Season 2,

Yep, no sooner than I posted this than I turned on the TV and saw that my DVR had recorded a new episode.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2021, 10:13:58 am »
Yep, no sooner than I posted this than I turned on the TV and saw that my DVR had recorded a new episode.

@BassWrangler

BTW,it is also available on HULU. I am watching it there now because I get a better signal.