Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 129211 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #1750 on: December 18, 2022, 10:56:01 pm »
This weekend, the old film "Bells of St. Marys" with Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1751 on: December 19, 2022, 03:57:27 am »
We just got through watching "1923".  I realize that this is the first episode, but I'm not too impressed; a little strong in the beginning. I liked 1883 much better. Yellowstone will be on later tonight but so far I don't think it has been that good this season. 

I'm not sure I'll watch Tulsa King again as last week was a little too much violence.

All of these mentioned are by Taylor Sheridan.  I think he's a good writer, but with the increase of violence on the shows, I'm losing interest.

@libertybele

I was planning on watching 1923 tonight. My 15 year old Samsung took a dump on me,so I bought a new 2022 model Samsung on sale for 426 bucks. Same size screen as my old one,but MUCH lighter and with completely different "everything".  And I mean that is a good sense.

Got the damn thing up and working despite THE worse instructions I have EVER seen,and then had to leave the house for an hour or so to do something else.

When I got back in and settled down to figure out how to get the volume higher than 25 percent,I couldn't even turn the damn thing on because I can't find the remote.

I CLEARLY remember leaving it on the desk where I am sitting now,but it's not there.

The remote control for this new tv is the smallest remote I have ever seen,and it has the fewest buttons.

Still,it is missing,and it pretty much HAS to be the cats that did this foul deed. I know I have chemo brain and am really forgetful,but I am 90 percent certain I left it at the computer desk.

BTW,the 2022 version of my old one weighs less than half of what the old one weighed,and I had a TON of money invested in things like Roku players,cables,etc,etc,etc.

Truth to tell,if you were to count up all the money I paid for cables,Roku players,etc,etc,etc,I probably spent as much on them as the new tv cost me.

ALL those expensive cables,cable splitters,Roku's,etc,etc,etc,and I didn't need a single damn one of them. Where I had TWO accessory plug in blocks to handle all the extra hardware,the ONLY plug I am using now is the power plug to plug into the wall socket.

The hell of it is I turned the new tv on and started looking for places to plug stuff into the tv. Couldn't find any,and when I looked at the screen it was all already done.

This is the same size (55 indy screen as my old one that I paid over a grand for and THEN had to add the roku's and all the other doo-dahs,and I bought it new for 426 bucks.

One HELL of a deal as far as I am concerned.

Going to love the hell out of this thing if I ever find that damn remote! Can't even turn it on without the remote.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 04:00:43 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1752 on: December 19, 2022, 05:47:12 pm »
@libertybele

I was planning on watching 1923 tonight. My 15 year old Samsung took a dump on me,so I bought a new 2022 model Samsung on sale for 426 bucks. Same size screen as my old one,but MUCH lighter and with completely different "everything".  And I mean that is a good sense.

Got the damn thing up and working despite THE worse instructions I have EVER seen,and then had to leave the house for an hour or so to do something else.

When I got back in and settled down to figure out how to get the volume higher than 25 percent,I couldn't even turn the damn thing on because I can't find the remote.

I CLEARLY remember leaving it on the desk where I am sitting now,but it's not there.

The remote control for this new tv is the smallest remote I have ever seen,and it has the fewest buttons.

Still,it is missing,and it pretty much HAS to be the cats that did this foul deed. I know I have chemo brain and am really forgetful,but I am 90 percent certain I left it at the computer desk.

BTW,the 2022 version of my old one weighs less than half of what the old one weighed,and I had a TON of money invested in things like Roku players,cables,etc,etc,etc.

Truth to tell,if you were to count up all the money I paid for cables,Roku players,etc,etc,etc,I probably spent as much on them as the new tv cost me.

ALL those expensive cables,cable splitters,Roku's,etc,etc,etc,and I didn't need a single damn one of them. Where I had TWO accessory plug in blocks to handle all the extra hardware,the ONLY plug I am using now is the power plug to plug into the wall socket.

The hell of it is I turned the new tv on and started looking for places to plug stuff into the tv. Couldn't find any,and when I looked at the screen it was all already done.

This is the same size (55 indy screen as my old one that I paid over a grand for and THEN had to add the roku's and all the other doo-dahs,and I bought it new for 426 bucks.

One HELL of a deal as far as I am concerned.

Going to love the hell out of this thing if I ever find that damn remote! Can't even turn it on without the remote.

Might be the cats.  Look under all the furniture near the computer desk, empty boxes and garbage? I hope you find it soon @sneakypete
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1753 on: December 19, 2022, 07:26:32 pm »

@sneakypete
A couple things....
I always leave the real remote for the TV right at the TV... I buy a cheap universal remote (usually RCA) to use for general purposes. Them dang original remotes are like hen's teeth to replace, and none of the universals work perfectly for all functions. So the real remote is kept sacrosanct - If I could glue it to the dang TV I would.

And Roku...

Did you know they have an app for that?
No, really... I have the ROKU app on my phone and it will function as a remote for both my ROKUs... which is another remote that is always lost or not working.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1754 on: December 19, 2022, 07:28:27 pm »
@sneakypete
A couple things....
I always leave the real remote for the TV right at the TV... I buy a cheap universal remote (usually RCA) to use for general purposes. Them dang original remotes are like hen's teeth to replace, and none of the universals work perfectly for all functions. So the real remote is kept sacrosanct - If I could glue it to the dang TV I would.

And Roku...

Did you know they have an app for that?
No, really... I have the ROKU app on my phone and it will function as a remote for both my ROKUs... which is another remote that is always lost or not working.

We keep our remotes on a coffee table near the TV -- but we have also taken velcro and attached a remote to the TV.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1755 on: December 19, 2022, 07:36:28 pm »
We keep our remotes on a coffee table near the TV -- but we have also taken velcro and attached a remote to the TV.

There's a bright idea!  :beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1756 on: December 20, 2022, 01:04:47 am »
Might be the cats.  Look under all the furniture near the computer desk, empty boxes and garbage? I hope you find it soon @sneakypete

@libertybele

The only way I can look under the couch is to fall down on the floor because my left knee doesn't bend anymore,and once I am down,I have a HELL of a time getting back up.

So I used a broom to sweep a BUNCH of crap out from under the couch. Evidentilly,one of more of the cats like to hide his or her stuff to play with under there.

I decided to order a new remote for 15 bucks. The 15 bucks is nothing,but the 3 day wait to get it and do without a tb was killing me,so out of desperation I put the batteries back in my 15 year old Channel Master remote,and damned if it didn't work.

I had LITERALLY spent hours trying to figure out how to increase the volume above 25 percent in my new tb because I can't even HEAR 25 percent,never mind understand it.

Pushed the volume button on my old CM remote,and suddenly I am at 75 percent volume,and seriously considering turning it down a little. I think 100 percent might blast you out of the room.

And it was as simple as pushing the volume button. Something I had tried on my new remote that came with the damn tv,and didn't work.

Felt like a fool for not trying that immediately, but I was a happy fool because suddenly I could understand the dialogue.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1757 on: December 20, 2022, 01:08:31 am »

@libertybele

As for the ROKU app,I am now VERY aware of it. It's hard to miss because it is situated in a red band that goes across the front of the screen when you go to a provider.

And it ain't lonesome,because Netflix,Apple,Amazon,and every other streaming service I can think of is there,also.
Just click on the icon,and THERE it IS. No more of that time-wasting searching stuff!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1758 on: December 20, 2022, 01:13:24 am »
@libertybele

The only way I can look under the couch is to fall down on the floor because my left knee doesn't bend anymore,and once I am down,I have a HELL of a time getting back up.

So I used a broom to sweep a BUNCH of crap out from under the couch. Evidentilly,one of more of the cats like to hide his or her stuff to play with under there.

I decided to order a new remote for 15 bucks. The 15 bucks is nothing,but the 3 day wait to get it and do without a tb was killing me,so out of desperation I put the batteries back in my 15 year old Channel Master remote,and damned if it didn't work.

I had LITERALLY spent hours trying to figure out how to increase the volume above 25 percent in my new tb because I can't even HEAR 25 percent,never mind understand it.

Pushed the volume button on my old CM remote,and suddenly I am at 75 percent volume,and seriously considering turning it down a little. I think 100 percent might blast you out of the room.

And it was as simple as pushing the volume button. Something I had tried on my new remote that came with the damn tv,and didn't work.

Felt like a fool for not trying that immediately, but I was a happy fool because suddenly I could understand the dialogue.

I can relate to having a hearing deficit and have to play with the volume buttons on different TV's or my computer. Glad you got things so you are able to hear.  :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1759 on: December 20, 2022, 01:25:58 am »
I can relate to having a hearing deficit and have to play with the volume buttons on different TV's or my computer. Glad you got things so you are able to hear.  :beer:

This is funny... This laptop is a little barn burner. It's the sweetest box I have ever owned, as laptops go... I got it cheap because the guy before me had it apart and forgot to hook the speakers back up when he was putting it together. But laptops are notorious for having crappy sound anyway, so...

I have a little Boze bluetooth speaker right behind my head, as I sit here, and that is tied to the laptop. I also have a set of bluetooth wireless earbuds it will talk to. And I have never been happier. NICE sound all the time.

Likewise the TV... I run my TV with a big desktop box tied to the tv by HDMI... Of course I am all the way over here, and the TV and box are over there. So I run it with a bluetooth KB with glidepad, and have a pair of pretty nice bluetooth earphones that talk to it if I want, for watching movies or concerts generally, but I can really hear it.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1760 on: December 20, 2022, 04:52:00 pm »
I'm binge-watching Steve Inman videos.  :laugh:

https://twitter.com/SteveInmanUIC/status/1605212114242932736
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #1761 on: December 20, 2022, 05:19:20 pm »

I bought a Sharper Image Wireless TV Speaker for my mother-in-law when she moved in with us, and it was a blessing. She was blasting us out of the house every night when Wheel of Fortune came on, but once she started using the speaker right by her chair we could hardly even hear it. (It operates independently of the volume on the TV.)  After she passed, I hooked it up to my TV and it is incredible how much difference it makes in being able to hear/understand the dialogue.

I watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on the flight home from Hawaii.  It was ok.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1762 on: December 20, 2022, 05:30:08 pm »
Finally got around to watching the Cokeville Miracle last night.  It had been on my DVR for two years.  It was not  top-notch production, but moments of the movie were quite touching.  At the end, they showed family photos of the surviving children many years after.  Each had married and raised 3-6 children.  Around one hundred children survived, bringing into this world over the next three decades another 400 or so children.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #1763 on: December 20, 2022, 10:26:38 pm »
I'm finding "Queen", currently a 4 episodes series on Netflix...amazing!

It's about a famous elderly tailor in Paris who is also a star Drag Queen.

He gets a letter which totally messes his plans

I tried picturing Robin Williams in La Cage a Folle in the leading role.  It was at times, the only way I could stick with it.

Glad I did.  And I think you all will too!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #1764 on: December 20, 2022, 11:07:15 pm »
Hoodat wrote:
"Finally got around to watching the Cokeville Miracle last night.  It had been on my DVR for two years.  It was not  top-notch production, but moments of the movie were quite touching.  At the end, they showed family photos of the surviving children many years after."

That was directed by T. C. Christensen.

If you enjoyed it, then I would recommend two other films from him that you will probably also like -- both about the Willie and Martin handcart companies in the fall/winter of 1846, enroute from Nebraska to Salt Lake:
- Seventeen Miracles
and
- Ephraim's Rescue

I would watch them in that order, "17 Miracles" first.

If you can't get them any other way, they can be "found on the net", if you know where to look...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1765 on: December 20, 2022, 11:49:56 pm »
I bought a Sharper Image Wireless TV Speaker for my mother-in-law when she moved in with us, and it was a blessing. She was blasting us out of the house every night when Wheel of Fortune came on, but once she started using the speaker right by her chair we could hardly even hear it. (It operates independently of the volume on the TV.)  After she passed, I hooked it up to my TV and it is incredible how much difference it makes in being able to hear/understand the dialogue.

I watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on the flight home from Hawaii.  It was ok.

@Polly Ticks

Excellent news for those who have trouble hearing. I think you should post it as a threat starter so that others who are hard of hearing can benefit from your experience.

BTW,I am one of those people,and just bought a new Samsung flat screen tv to replace the one that died at the tender age of 13 to 15 years. Unlike the old one that was very hard to hear with the volume turned up all the way,I only have to set the volume on the new one at 75 percent to hear everything perfectly. In fact,if I turn it up higher,it's too loud.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1766 on: December 21, 2022, 01:10:01 pm »
Just started watching the latest season of “American Greed”

Always liked this show
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1767 on: December 21, 2022, 05:55:00 pm »
Hoodat wrote:
"Finally got around to watching the Cokeville Miracle last night.  It had been on my DVR for two years.  It was not  top-notch production, but moments of the movie were quite touching.  At the end, they showed family photos of the surviving children many years after."

That was directed by T. C. Christensen.

If you enjoyed it, then I would recommend two other films from him that you will probably also like -- both about the Willie and Martin handcart companies in the fall/winter of 1846, enroute from Nebraska to Salt Lake:
- Seventeen Miracles
and
- Ephraim's Rescue

I would watch them in that order, "17 Miracles" first.

If you can't get them any other way, they can be "found on the net", if you know where to look...

Thank you, sir.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1768 on: December 22, 2022, 10:06:08 pm »
Emily in Paris (Netflix)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #1769 on: December 22, 2022, 10:48:05 pm »
A supplement to my post 1767 above.

Ephraim's Rescue can be watched for free here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4lHeXptxHM

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1770 on: December 28, 2022, 05:08:21 am »
Third season of Jack Ryan on Amazon. Great series.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1771 on: December 28, 2022, 06:21:27 am »

Scary how plausible this season's plot line almost fits the script in real life.

Pete and I had a brief discussion earlier on an earlier thread about the mindset of the old USSR and how it has filtered through even 30 years later.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1772 on: December 28, 2022, 12:05:44 pm »
The series "24" with Keifer Sutherland.

Lots of suspense and action.

Sure glad *I* don't have even a 24 day period with that much happening and going wrong.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1773 on: December 28, 2022, 03:13:55 pm »
Scary how plausible this season's plot line almost fits the script in real life.

Pete and I had a brief discussion earlier on an earlier thread about the mindset of the old USSR and how it has filtered through even 30 years later.

Was thinking the same thing! People don't understand the Russians. It's all fun and giggles till they think they're cornered, and then they're likely to go unconventional scorched earth and maul you. That's why they call them the bear.

And then there's that old get-back-the-empire thing some of them have.
The Republic is lost.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1774 on: December 28, 2022, 08:57:01 pm »

We’ve been watching that as well. Husband really likes this series.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell