Author Topic: Senate clears $104B House coronavirus bill while racing to draft major stimulus package  (Read 352 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate clears $104B House coronavirus bill while racing to draft major stimulus package
by Susan Ferrechio
 | March 18, 2020 04:01 PM

The Senate cleared a $104 billion federal aid package Wednesday aimed at responding to the coronavirus pandemic, freeing up lawmakers to focus on a third, much more significant stimulus plan that could cost in the range of $1 trillion.

The $104 billion measure, which President Trump is expected to sign quickly, provides up to 10 days of sick leave and 12 weeks of paid family leave for some workers. It also pays for free coronavirus testing for those who need it.

The measure passed over the objection of a group of Republicans who said it will place a tremendous financial burden on small businesses that are already struggling due to the drastic economic slowdown caused by the coronavirus threat.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, acknowledged the small business burden created by the legislation, but he said the issue would be addressed in the next stimulus package.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/senate-clears-104b-house-coronavirus-bill
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
What Republicans voted against it:

Kyle Griffin
@kylegriffin1
·
The eight senators who voted against the coronavirus relief package:

Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
Jim Inhofe (R-OK)
James Lankford (R-OK)
Mike Lee (R-UT)
Rand Paul (R-KY)
Ben Sasse (R-NE)
Tim Scott (R-SC)
Ron Johnson (R-WI)

Cruz is not there, in a situation like this, they should probably allow these folks to mail it in. I assume he did not vote on it... still in extended self-quarantine .

A day ago, perhaps he did make it back to Washington DC, I have no idea.

Ted Cruz ends self-quarantine, emerges to an altered world
Confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. have surged since Cruz began his quarantine March 8.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2020/03/17/ted-cruz-ends-self-quarantine-emerges-to-an-altered-world-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:53:16 pm by TomSea »

Offline libertybele

Cruz is not there, in a situation like this, they should probably allow these folks to mail it in. I assume he did not vote on it... still in extended self-quarantine .

I believe you have to be present in the Senate in order to vote.  I applaud those that voted against it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
From reading the Dallas Morning News story, it sounds like Senator Cruz could have made it to the vote, whether he did or not, I don't know.

As for the bill, I will say, one point of logic is to tell people to stay home from their jobs and expect them to not get paid either, this is a tough dilemma, we are in a way, on a war footing.

Hard to tell people to say home as to not spread the virus and then, not even care about the wages they miss.

It sounds like letting the airlines go bankrupt too, would be a difficult matter.  Hopefully, this can be temporary and again, per some experts, not doing anything per these expenditures may be more damaging in the long run.

Ben Shapiro
@benshapiro
The goal here should be to move from the Chinese model (lockdown) to the South Korean model (testing, monitoring, self-quarantining for specific symptoms -- and everybody else going to work) as fast as possible. We're buying time to make that shift. Let's not waste the time.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:22:13 pm by TomSea »

Offline berdie

I hate to be Debby Downer...but you really can't even count on publicized votes. If it won't/will affect their chance of electability they can vote how they will with the blessing of the "powers that be".