Author Topic: We’ve got the coronavirus vaccine, says Pentagon-funded company  (Read 639 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by  Patrick Tucker - Defense One  March 17, 2020

A Canadian company says that it has produced a COVID-19 vaccine just 20 days after receiving the coronavirus’s genetic sequence, using a unique technology that they soon hope to submit for FDA approval.

Medicago CEO Bruce Clark said his company could produce as many as 10 million doses a month. If regulatory hurdles can be cleared, he said in a Thursday interview, the vaccine could start to become available in November 2021.

In 2010, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, put together a $100 million program dubbed Blue Angel to look into new forms of vaccine discovery and production. A big chunk of that money went to Medicago to build a facility in North Carolina, where they showed that they could find a vaccine in just 20 days, then rapidly scale up production.

Clark says that once they get the green light, they will be able to produce 10 million vaccine doses a month.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/03/weve-got-the-coronavirus-vaccine-says-pentagon-funded-company/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
If regulatory hurdles can be cleared, he said in a Thursday interview, the vaccine could start to become available in November 2021.
Not very useful now, is it?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline LadyLiberty

No, but it could prevent a repeat of this awful situation.

Offline libertybele

Regulatory hurdles as in??? .... inadequate testing .... uncertain results ...?? The last thing we need is to inoculate the masses with a vaccine that doesn't work resulting in causing more harm than good. 

I'm not so sure that I would get the vaccine (at least not when it first comes out).  I've received the flu shot twice ... during flu season I'm more cautious and don't go out as much. I wash my hands continuously whether or not its flu season; that's a habit that I got into years ago.  The flu shot every year is hit or miss, because they guess at which strain they think will be prevalent.

We all want a vaccine but rushing it is wrong and frankly, the vision of all of us lining up for a corona shot that has been rushed through and not adequately tested, with a virus that just emerged, really peaks my distrust of government.

You watch ... the vaccine will come out ... and it will be reserved to be given to seniors first as they are the most vulnerable ... and the youth can wait while they make more batches of the vaccine.  I envision the possibility of seniors dying from the vaccine.  I just don't trust what's going on. (I know here come the flaming spears).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 02:29:25 am by libertybele »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I'm interested in the poll result re STEM majors, who would usually understand probabilities, statistics, risks and trade-offs etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
FWIW, they were trying a vaccine in Washington state. That was posted here yesterday, this story:

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-vaccine-test-opens-1st-120000094.html

But hold on, it will take them at least a year to see its effectiveness.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-vaccine-first-dose-administered-in-clinical-trial-2020-3

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:13:49 am by TomSea »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Regulatory hurdles as in??? .... inadequate testing .... uncertain results ...?? The last thing we need is to inoculate the masses with a vaccine that doesn't work resulting in causing more harm than good. 

I'm not so sure that I would get the vaccine (at least not when it first comes out).  I've received the flu shot twice ... during flu season I'm more cautious and don't go out as much. I wash my hands continuously whether or not its flu season; that's a habit that I got into years ago.  The flu shot every year is hit or miss, because they guess at which strain they think will be prevalent.

We all want a vaccine but rushing it is wrong and frankly, the vision of all of us lining up for a corona shot that has been rushed through and not adequately tested, with a virus that just emerged, really peaks my distrust of government.

You watch ... the vaccine will come out ... and it will be reserved to be given to seniors first as they are the most vulnerable ... and the youth can wait while they make more batches of the vaccine.  I envision the possibility of seniors dying from the vaccine.  I just don't trust what's going on. (I know here come the flaming spears).
There's a serious chance that, like its predecessor SARS, this disease could be dead and gone by the time the vaccine is approved. Holding out hope for a vaccine might be a long-term help if this disease doesn't die out like SARS did, but it won't be a short-term solution.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024