Author Topic: NO, TRUMP DID NOT DISSOLVE THE PANDEMIC RESPONSE OFFICE  (Read 970 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

NO, TRUMP DID NOT DISSOLVE THE PANDEMIC RESPONSE OFFICE
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:53:25 pm »
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/03/no-trump-did-not-dissolve-the-pandemic-response-office.php

NO, TRUMP DID NOT DISSOLVE THE PANDEMIC RESPONSE OFFICE
POSTED ON MARCH 17, 2020 BY PAUL MIRENGOFF
Former Obama administration officials have been claiming that President Trump and his then-national security adviser John Bolton “dissolved” the office at the White House responsible for disaster preparedness. ...

But according to Tim Morrison, the former aide to whom direction of this office was assigned, the office was not “dissolved.” It remains in operation under Morrison’s successor.

Writing in the Washington Post, Morrison states:

It is true that the Trump administration has seen fit to shrink the NSC staff. But the bloat that occurred under the previous administration clearly needed a correction. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, congressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused. . . .

The reduction of force in the NSC has continued since I departed the White House. But it has left the biodefense staff unaffected ...

As part of the effort to make the NSC more effective, the Trump administration created the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate, a consolidation of three directorates into one (the three were arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense, which obviously overlap). Morrison says “it is this reorganization that critics have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresented.”

Wolf! Wolf! Wolf!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: NO, TRUMP DID NOT DISSOLVE THE PANDEMIC RESPONSE OFFICE
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 10:26:36 pm »
The fake news and misinformation continues. Once the liberals get $$$ sent to them for all their misfortune because of this virus, Trump will be the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Until the DEMS come up with something else to try to destroy him.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 05:05:37 am »
Once the liberals get $$$ sent to them for all their misfortune because of this virus, Trump will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

Doubtful

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 05:13:42 am »
Once the liberals get $$$ sent to them for all their misfortune because of this virus, Trump will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

Free Gubmit money to the entitlement class that have their mouths hermetically sealed to the left hind teat of Uncle Sugar?

Stuff's like crack.  They'll be wanting another hit in a matter of days.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 05:14:19 am »
It is true that the Trump administration has seen fit to shrink the NSC staff. But the bloat that occurred under the previous administration clearly needed a correction. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, congressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused. . . .
So yes he did fire the Pandemic team but they didn't think they would need them...I'm not sure I like that any better than Trump is so incompetent he still doesn't know how they got fired. 

Question: “You said that you don’t take responsibility, but you did disband the White House pandemic office, and the officials that were working in that office left this administration abruptly. So what responsibility do you take to that?”

President Trump: "I just think it's a nasty question... You say we did that, I don't know anything about it."

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 09:23:48 am »
So yes he did fire the Pandemic team but they didn't think they would need them...I'm not sure I like that any better than Trump is so incompetent he still doesn't know how they got fired. 

Question: “You said that you don’t take responsibility, but you did disband the White House pandemic office, and the officials that were working in that office left this administration abruptly. So what responsibility do you take to that?”

President Trump: "I just think it's a nasty question... You say we did that, I don't know anything about it."

He did not fire the Pandemic team. He merged them with another team and they were able to share information easier and work more efficiently. 
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 11:52:35 am »
He did not fire the Pandemic team. He merged them with another team and they were able to share information easier and work more efficiently.
Seriously?  And President Trump has been hiding them all this time.  Now I feel even worse.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 05:07:41 pm »
Seriously?  And President Trump has been hiding them all this time.  Now I feel even worse.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/03/17/no_the_white_house_didnt_dissolve_its_pandemic_response_office_142683.html
The reduction of force in the NSC has continued since I departed the White House. But it has left the biodefense staff unaffected — perhaps a recognition of the importance of that mission to the president, who, after all, in 2018 issued a presidential memorandum to finally create real accountability in the federal government’s expansive biodefense system.

The "team" is not in hiding and has been fully functioning throughout the crisis...so what you should "feel worse" about is your penchant for furthering dishonest media tropes and Dem party talking points. Before simply echoing these kinds of lies, perhaps you should look into their veracity directly first.

You stated he "fired" the Biodefense response team. Is that a lie or not? @Once-Ler
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:10:33 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 05:11:49 pm »
Before simply echoing these kinds of lies, perhaps you should look into their veracity directly first.

Oh c'mon.

Where's the fun in that.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 05:14:28 pm »
Oh c'mon.

Where's the fun in that.

I can't wait to see if he'll admit to advancing this lie...or if he'll just do the liberal waffle "orange man bad" thing. Either way...fascinating to watch the Left (and their useful idiot allies in the NT movement) at work. Disgusting, but truly fascinating.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 05:58:32 pm »
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/03/17/no_the_white_house_didnt_dissolve_its_pandemic_response_office_142683.html
The reduction of force in the NSC has continued since I departed the White House. But it has left the biodefense staff unaffected — perhaps a recognition of the importance of that mission to the president, who, after all, in 2018 issued a presidential memorandum to finally create real accountability in the federal government’s expansive biodefense system.

The "team" is not in hiding and has been fully functioning throughout the crisis...so what you should "feel worse" about is your penchant for furthering dishonest media tropes and Dem party talking points. Before simply echoing these kinds of lies, perhaps you should look into their veracity directly first.

This is great news @Mesaclone , and I'm ashamed of myself for even insinuating it.  Be be assured I did check several sources and they all said the Pandemic Response Office was dissolved.  Do you know where the Pandemic Response Office is located or the name of the guy who is running it?  'cause that guy should be in on the daily press briefings.

I searched the internet for about 20 minutes now and still can't find the Pandemic Response Office...but you say it's still there...vehemently, so I know you must be right.  Let me know if you figure out who is in charge of the Pandemic Response Office...it would be the office in charge of pandemics.

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 06:04:46 pm »
I can't wait to see if he'll admit to advancing this lie...or if he'll just do the liberal waffle "orange man bad" thing. Either way...fascinating to watch the Left (and their useful idiot allies in the NT movement) at work. Disgusting, but truly fascinating.
I'm sorry I didn't realize how anxious you were for a reply @Mesaclone but I was checking for...well you know verasity.  I'm a little flattered at your intensity today.  Hope you were fascinated by the post

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 11:27:01 pm »
This is great news @Mesaclone , and I'm ashamed of myself for even insinuating it.  Be be assured I did check several sources and they all said the Pandemic Response Office was dissolved.  Do you know where the Pandemic Response Office is located or the name of the guy who is running it?  'cause that guy should be in on the daily press briefings.

I searched the internet for about 20 minutes now and still can't find the Pandemic Response Office...but you say it's still there...vehemently, so I know you must be right.  Let me know if you figure out who is in charge of the Pandemic Response Office...it would be the office in charge of pandemics.

You seem a little confused by section titles...like Pandemic Response office. Titles change and the chain of command shifts...but all of these folks are still in place and working under Fauci and the Vice President as part of the team managing the crisis. What their titles are...who cares. Ditto for department affiliations. Their expertise was, is, and will continue to be part of the decision making group. What more do you want on this topic...still waiting for you to fully acknowledge that you furthered the falsehood about these folks...?

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 03:03:39 am »
You seem a little confused by section titles...like Pandemic Response office. Titles change and the chain of command shifts...but all of these folks are still in place and working under Fauci and the Vice President as part of the team managing the crisis. What their titles are...who cares. Ditto for department affiliations. Their expertise was, is, and will continue to be part of the decision making group. What more do you want on this topic...still waiting for you to fully acknowledge that you furthered the falsehood about these folks...?

Not going to happen @Mesaclone .  At some point in the last 3 years we had a specialized dept that was designed to deal with pandemics...It was called the pandemic response office and was part of the NSC.  It's mission was to respond to pandemics and it had a guy at the top responsible for the functions of the office.  You say all those people are still in place.  I wanna know the name of the expert who was in charge of pandemics 3 months ago if there was an office overseeing pandemics.  I want to know if a guy exists who should have warned us and already had a plan to respond to pandemics, just as the guy who used to run the pandemic response team was charged to do.

Dr Fauci is great but 3 months ago he was just the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease.  An important institution with a much broader scope.  I want to know the name of the guy who failed to warn us.  You say the expertise is still there, who was in charge of that expertise?  Our government should have made someone responsible to warn us as their job, like a pandemic response office, before Trump tapped Fauci to run it after the Pandemic got here.

There was no one.  If there was Trump would be blaming and firing that person right now, and calling them part of the Deep State.  But since we are here through Trumps own bungling, you are angry at me for stating the truth.  Trump dissolved the office in charge of pandemic response, and I will say I'm sorry for that.  Dr.  Fauci will too.

https://apnews.com/ce014d94b64e98b7203b873e56f80e9a
“It would be nice if the office was still there,” Dr. Anthony Fauci last week

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 04:47:31 am »
Not going to happen @Mesaclone .  At some point in the last 3 years we had a specialized dept that was designed to deal with pandemics...It was called the pandemic response office and was part of the NSC.  It's mission was to respond to pandemics and it had a guy at the top responsible for the functions of the office.  You say all those people are still in place.  I wanna know the name of the expert who was in charge of pandemics 3 months ago if there was an office overseeing pandemics.  I want to know if a guy exists who should have warned us and already had a plan to respond to pandemics, just as the guy who used to run the pandemic response team was charged to do.

Dr Fauci is great but 3 months ago he was just the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease.  An important institution with a much broader scope.  I want to know the name of the guy who failed to warn us.  You say the expertise is still there, who was in charge of that expertise?  Our government should have made someone responsible to warn us as their job, like a pandemic response office, before Trump tapped Fauci to run it after the Pandemic got here.

There was no one.  If there was Trump would be blaming and firing that person right now, and calling them part of the Deep State.  But since we are here through Trumps own bungling, you are angry at me for stating the truth.  Trump dissolved the office in charge of pandemic response, and I will say I'm sorry for that.  Dr.  Fauci will too.

https://apnews.com/ce014d94b64e98b7203b873e56f80e9a
“It would be nice if the office was still there,” Dr. Anthony Fauci last week

The folks making up the Pandemic response office are still working in their jobs within the Anti-Proliferation and Bio-defense team under the NSC...if you want their names, for some absurd reason, you'll have to look them up yourself. I gave you the PRECISE quote from the leader of the team who stated UNEQUIVOCALLY "Because I led the very directorate assigned that mission, the counterproliferation and biodefense office, for a year and then handed it off to another official who still holds the post, I know the charge is specious."

As for the name of the "guy" who failed...its Xi Jinping, 111 Mao Street, Beijing. Looking for a fall guy who "should" have known what the Chinese were up to is absurd...neither Fauci or the numerous other scientists working for the White House had any way of knowing that China was hiding and underplaying an Outbreak. So just admit...you want this to somehow be Trump's fault and you've bought into this Lefty meme that he failed to do...well...something (some mysterious unknown step). Well, as they say, there's no there there.

No crisis response is ever perfect. No nation is ever perfectly prepared for a Pandemic...for god's sakes look at Italy, Spain, Germany and nearly all of Europe if you want to see bungled responses. And hindsight will surely show some different steps we could have taken...but what IS clear is that we've been VERY fortunate to have a pro-active and decisive President who is leading an American response that is vastly more effective than the response of nearly every other nation on the planet (South Korea and Japan are right at our level so kudos to their leadership as well).

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 05:05:33 am »
The folks making up the Pandemic response office are still working in their jobs within the Anti-Proliferation and Bio-defense team under the NSC...if you want their names, for some absurd reason, you'll have to look them up yourself. I gave you the PRECISE quote from the leader of the team who stated UNEQUIVOCALLY "Because I led the very directorate assigned that mission, the counterproliferation and biodefense office, for a year and then handed it off to another official who still holds the post, I know the charge is specious."

As for the name of the "guy" who failed...its Xi Jinping, 111 Mao Street, Beijing. Looking for a fall guy who "should" have known what the Chinese were up to is absurd...neither Fauci or the numerous other scientists working for the White House had any way of knowing that China was hiding and underplaying an Outbreak. So just admit...you want this to somehow be Trump's fault and you've bought into this Lefty meme that he failed to do...well...something (some mysterious unknown step). Well, as they say, there's no there there.

Thank you again for another substantive and mostly respectful reply @Mesaclone .  If a smart fellow like yourself, and I mean that sincerely even though you feign to be perplexed over my criticism of elimination our Pandemic Response Office...If you can't point me to the person in charge of the American pandemic response 3 months ago, I fear there wasn't one.  Thanx for trying.

No crisis response is ever perfect. No nation is ever perfectly prepared for a Pandemic...for god's sakes look at Italy, Spain, Germany and nearly all of Europe if you want to see bungled responses. And hindsight will surely show some different steps we could have taken...but what IS clear is that we've been VERY fortunate to have a pro-active and decisive President who is leading an American response that is vastly more effective than the response of nearly every other nation on the planet (South Korea and Japan are right at our level so kudos to their leadership as well).

I don't feel qualified, justified, or really that interested how other countries bungled their response.  Their suck does not make Trump's suck, suck less.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 08:13:23 am »
Thank you again for another substantive and mostly respectful reply @Mesaclone .  If a smart fellow like yourself, and I mean that sincerely even though you feign to be perplexed over my criticism of elimination our Pandemic Response Office...If you can't point me to the person in charge of the American pandemic response 3 months ago, I fear there wasn't one.  Thanx for trying.

I don't feel qualified, justified, or really that interested how other countries bungled their response.  Their suck does not make Trump's suck, suck less.

There was clearly someone in charge, and its in the article...the author himself, Tim Morrison (and his successor whom he does not name), was in charge of the Counterproliferation and Biodefense Directorate. The CPBD was simply a joining of 3 departments into one...inclusive of the office you seem to think was dissolved. It wasn't. It was simply brought into a new joint directorate to make it and the other two directorates more efficient and coordinated. The directorate you "think" was dissolved was not, it was moved with its staffing generally intact...minus its old director as only one was now needed for the 3 directorates now joined...and the "pandemic response" staff remained as they were.

The same capability to anticipate and analyze pandemics remained in place...if anything it was enhanced by being better coordinated with other emergency response directorates. So you're running up a blind alley if you want to portray this as the administration somehow weakening our ability to respond to this kind of event...its just not true.

First, as far as I know, none of us here are experts on Pandemics. But common sense is still a good guiding light when looking at our government's actions as good, interested citizens.

As for other countries mistakes...they obviously vary widely. But the Europeans failed to stop Chinese travel early...and that was, literally, a fatal mistake. Compounding that failure, they continued to keep the borders wide open between nations allowing the virus to permeate the continent quickly and with depth. And that SHOULD interest you because it highlights EXACTLY how the President's decisive early action saved many lives...and is indicative of how he's handling this crisis across the board.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:19:26 am by Mesaclone »

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 09:43:09 am »
Thank you again for another substantive and mostly respectful reply @Mesaclone .  If a smart fellow like yourself, and I mean that sincerely even though you feign to be perplexed over my criticism of elimination our Pandemic Response Office...If you can't point me to the person in charge of the American pandemic response 3 months ago, I fear there wasn't one.  Thanx for trying

The NSC’s senior director for counter-proliferation and biodefense is Anthony Ruggiero. 
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 10:18:05 am »
When I compare the Covid19 outline of events and US response I don’t understand how anyone can say Trumps administration has been slow to respond. WHO declared there was a pandemic only 8 days ago.
When WHO declared a global emergency on Jan 30 they didn’t even have a name for the virus yet and on Jan 31 Trump put travel bans in place.  This was only a month and half ago.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 11:54:10 am »
When I compare the Covid19 outline of events and US response I don’t understand how anyone can say Trumps administration has been slow to respond. WHO declared there was a pandemic only 8 days ago.
When WHO declared a global emergency on Jan 30 they didn’t even have a name for the virus yet and on Jan 31 Trump put travel bans in place.  This was only a month and half ago.

What about what Trump has said regarding the virus? Isn't that important? After all, his words carry the weight of the office of the POTUS behind them.

There was a time, in the distant pre-Trump world of antiquity, when presidents were held accountable for what they said, as well as their actions. I am beyond fascinated at the unremitting propensity of so many Trump supporters to pooh-pooh the destructive, unhelpful, undisciplined, insipid buffoonery that comes out of this man's 73-year-old mouth like he is some special needs toddler who simply can't help himself.

Yet, I do hope that they're right and showing a long game wisdom that I do not possess because I know that left has lost its collective mind with their nation-killing, values-bereft agenda.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 03:32:29 pm »
The NSC’s senior director for counter-proliferation and biodefense is Anthony Ruggiero.
You found him!  Thank you @LilLamb now that I have the name I can see that he is the man needing flogging, before a final sentencing

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 03:39:09 pm »

When you cut through all the crap facts are facts and of course you are correct. He has responded pretty well considering this thing came out of nowhere with no help at all from China. Nor our own media & opposition party.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 06:16:05 pm »
     What about what Trump has said regarding the virus? Isn't that important? After all, his words carry the weight of the office of the POTUS behind them.

There was a time, in the distant pre-Trump world of antiquity, when presidents were held accountable for what they said, as well as their actions. I am beyond fascinated at the unremitting propensity of so many Trump supporters to pooh-pooh the destructive, unhelpful, undisciplined, insipid buffoonery that comes out of this man's 73-year-old mouth like he is some special needs toddler who simply can't help himself.

Yet, I do hope that they're right and showing a long game wisdom that I do not possess because I know that left has lost its collective mind with their nation-killing, values-bereft agenda.

In real life:

China/WHO claims no evidence of  human to human transmission of corona virus: January 14, 2020,

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152
World Health Organization (WHO)
@WHO
Jan 14
Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China.

The US started screening arriving passengers from China: January 17, 2020, JFK, SFO, LAX https://www.businessinsider.com/new-disease-virus-china-us-airports-screening-cdc-2020-1 ; O'Hare and Hartsfield-Jackson January 22, 2020, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/01/21/us-screenings-coronavirus-expanded-airports-atlanta-chicago/

Pharmaceuticals company working with US government to develop vaccine: January 22, 2020, Moderna, https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/moderna-is-working-on-a-vaccine-for-chinas-deadly-coronavirus.html

Wuhan and other cities in Hubei Province shut down travel: January 23, 2020, https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-01-27/5-million-people-left-Wuhan-before-the-lockdown-where-did-they-go--NACCu9wItW/index.html

US personnel evacuated from Wuhan: January 29, 2020 https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-chartering-evacuation-flight-wuhan-coronavirus-zone-california/story?id=68571310

State Department raised the travel advisory for China to Level 4, do not travel: January 31, 2020, https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2020/01/31/coronavirus-china-flight-ban-delta-cuts-all-flights-white-house/4620989002/

Trump declared a public health emergency: January 31, 2020, https://abcnews.go.com/Health/delta-suspends-us-flights-china-amid-coronavirus/story?id=68666037

People entering the US from China forbidden: Announced January 31, 2020, effective February 2, 2020, https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/02/us/coronavirus-us-travel-restrictions/index.html This effectively ended flights from and to China, for obvious reasons. The current date for flights to resume is March 30, 2020.

Testing labs allowed to use tests whose FDA Emergency Use Authorization requests are still pending: February 29, 2020, https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-issues-new-policy-help-expedite-availability-diagnostics

Army signed agreement with Gilead on experimental COVID-19 treatment: March 10, 2020, https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/03/10/army-signs-agreement-with-drug-giant-gilead-on-experimental-covid-19-treatment/

Trump declared National Emergency: March 13, 2020, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/what-trumps-emergency-declaration-over-coronavirus-means-for-arizona/ar-BB11a6RO

These actions (and other consequent events) did not happen by magic. Trump's actions have been timely and effective. Twist Trump's comments trying to quell panic however you like, Trump's actions shout you down.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.