Author Topic: 4-year-old’s coronavirus symptoms worsen after taking ibuprofen  (Read 490 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 4-year-old’s coronavirus symptoms worsen after taking ibuprofen

By Kate Sheehy

March 17, 2020 | 12:15pm

A 4-year-old British girl suffering from coronavirus-like symptoms grew worse after taking ibuprofen, her family said.

As health experts hotly debate whether the anti-inflammatory medicine should be taken to combat the contagion, Dan Collins of Bristol posted a dire warning on Facebook about his little girl Amelia.

“To those of you that have children please read. If your child has symptoms of corona virus, DO NOT give them ibuprofen,” Collins wrote.

“Amelia’s been unwell since Tuesday, cough, fever, cold. This morning she came into my room and got into my bed burning hot and not wanting to get up,” he wrote Sunday.

“Within an hour of giving her [ibuprofen] she dropped dramatically. She was panting while trying to breathe, her heart rate was very rapid, she couldn’t keep her eyes open, couldn’t lift her head up, her body was shaking, she started being sick on herself and her temperature had risen.

more
https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/4-year-olds-coronavirus-symptoms-worsen-after-taking-ibuprofen/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Not necessarily corona symptoms, I'd say. I'll wait for a medical opinion.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Here's some non-anecdotal evidence, perhaps:
Covid-19: 'Ibuprofen can worsen infection'
 Sarah Smith (SA)
Sat 14 Mar 2020 16h19

France’s Health Minister has today issued advice not to take anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or cortisone to treat the possible symptoms of Covid-19 as these could actually worsen the infection.

Minister Olivier Véran instead recommends fighting any fever, one of the symptoms of the coronavirus, with paracetamol. ...

"Anti-inflammatory drugs have an immunosuppressive effect" – ie. they inhibit the activity of the immune system - "which promotes infections. They have a 'booster' effect," Alexandre Bleibtreu, an infectious diseases doctor at the Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital in Paris, told the French news source FranceInfo.

Paracetamol does not act on the same pathways as the anti-inflammatory drugs and therefore does not present the same risks, added Mr Bleibtreu. "The only side effects are in the case of liver pathologies and exceeding the recommended doses." ...
Full story

Paracetamol is Tylenol.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

Here's some non-anecdotal evidence, perhaps:Full story

Paracetamol is Tylenol.

Paracetamol does not have any anti-inflamatory properties, and can damage the liver and kidneys in high doses.  I'll stick with aspirin.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Paracetamol does not have any anti-inflamatory properties, and can damage the liver and kidneys in high doses.  I'll stick with aspirin.

Tylenol is poison.  It's doubtful the FDA would approve Tylenol if they applied for it today.  It can damage the liver in small doses.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 11:17:14 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
For the record, I posted a thread last night of a Doctor warning of the uses of Ibuprofen during this crisis:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,395212.0.html

No need to merge, they can all probably be merged with the big thread in a couple of days.

Offline DB

I used aspirin for a bad case of the flu in the late 1990's and ended up in the emergency room throwing up blood. Literally. Aspirin has to be taken with food. I couldn't eat food because I threw up if I did. I learned my lesson the hard way and I wouldn't recommend repeating it...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yep. Failing that I'll risk the cougars in the willows by the river and go strip some bark.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis