Author Topic: CDC: School closures of 8 weeks or more may be needed  (Read 672 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CDC: School closures of 8 weeks or more may be needed
« on: March 15, 2020, 11:52:03 pm »

Updated: Sat 2:53 PM, Mar 14, 2020

(CNN) Closing schools for eight weeks or more may have a greater impact on mitigating the spread of the novel coronavirus than two- to four-week closures, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said.

Shorter-term closures will likely make little difference in the spread of the disease, new CDC guidance states, even as K-12 school districts across the country began announcing school closures within the shorter time frame.

Closing schools also comes with its own setbacks, namely a potentially negative impact on academic outcomes, which the CDC also acknowledged in its updated guidelines.

The Department of Education recently issued its own guidance to educators about its flexibility related to student absences and testing standards.

In any school closure, students could still congregate outside of school and spread the disease, the CDC acknowledged.

Other mitigation efforts, including handwashing and home isolation, "have more impact on (the) spread of disease," the new CDC guidance states.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/CDC-School-closures-of-8-weeks-or-more-may-be-needed-568801641.html?fbclid=IwAR2AXRcPLXqkYPck_nPW4kPrpv5Srxt1YaRkxfTDH_yxCDvzv6p1PWlAw4o
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: CDC: School closures of 8 weeks or more may be needed
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 01:31:24 am »
Fearless prediction:
By next week, all schools in the country will be closed until (probably) next fall.

Most problematic for high school seniors who would have graduated this year.

Colleges... well, perhaps it'll go on record as "the lost semester".
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:32:23 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 02:42:55 am »
Fearless prediction:
By next week, all schools in the country will be closed until (probably) next fall.

How would this work?  What if you were starting college in the fall?

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 01:30:22 pm »
Fearless prediction:

My kid's college, Stephen F. Austin, switched to all online as the returned from Spring Break today.  Works for most classes, some will be a problem.  She has a biology lab that will need significant changes.

(first go catch a critter you can kill and skin, we are going to be looking for the liver...)
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 01:43:31 pm »
Yet kids don't seem to be at risk for this virus.

Better safe than sorry I guess.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 01:51:41 pm »
My kid's college, Stephen F. Austin, switched to all online as the returned from Spring Break today.  Works for most classes, some will be a problem.  She has a biology lab that will need significant changes.

(first go catch a critter you can kill and skin, we are going to be looking for the liver...)

I'm pretty sure that labs are excluded from the closings at a number of colleges. 

The University where my daughter teaches will go to online classes after Spring Break (which is this week).

I would imagine that some courses will be greatly abridged because the material requires group participation and in class work, but if worse comes to worse, students may be given Mid Term grades for their final grade.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 01:54:05 pm »

They are potential carriers, so yes, better safe than sorry.

I've done a turnaround on this subject, except I still think college students won't isolate themselves, and potentially risk a greater spread at parties and gatherings.  In Ohio, bars and restaurants are now closed to anything but take-out (or drive-through), so at least the students won't be able to spread the disease in public places.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 01:56:02 pm »
How would this work?  What if you were starting college in the fall?

Our granddaughter is a senior starting college in the fall.  I'll find out what her school is doing if and when they decide.  My guess is that midterm grades will act as final grades and that they'll graduate without the ceremony.  Just receive diplomas by mail.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 01:58:16 pm »
They are potential carriers, so yes, better safe than sorry.

I've done a turnaround on this subject, except I still think college students won't isolate themselves, and potentially risk a greater spread at parties and gatherings.  In Ohio, bars and restaurants are now closed to anything but take-out (or drive-through), so at least the students won't be able to spread the disease in public places.

I've been trying to pull my daughter across the finish line in college for 8 years. This virus thing is starting to look like its part of a conspiracy.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 02:07:34 pm »
I'm pretty sure that labs are excluded from the closings at a number of colleges. 

The University where my daughter teaches will go to online classes after Spring Break (which is this week).

I would imagine that some courses will be greatly abridged because the material requires group participation and in class work, but if worse comes to worse, students may be given Mid Term grades for their final grade.

No exclusion for labs.  They are working it out but likely will use online photos of what you would see in a microscope, etc.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 02:22:42 pm »
No exclusion for labs.  They are working it out but likely will use online photos of what you would see in a microscope, etc.

I know that at least a few schools are allowing labs (sorry, don't have an example off the top of my head), but I imagine some kind of solution can be arrived at.

I mean, after all, scientists are problem solvers, are they not?   wink777

Offline Idiot

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 03:18:42 pm »
I've been trying to pull my daughter across the finish line in college for 8 years. This virus thing is starting to look like its part of a conspiracy.
I knew of a guy in college that had been there 6 years....just playing as mom and dad paid for his fun.  Finally he got serious and got a teaching degree and ended up being a good teacher.  He was known locally as the only "white boy" to work at an all black BBQ joint.  This had the best BBQ in this part of the state and the owner was a wonderful Christian man.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 03:23:47 pm »
I knew of a guy in college that had been there 6 years....just playing as mom and dad paid for his fun.  Finally he got serious and got a teaching degree and ended up being a good teacher.  He was known locally as the only "white boy" to work at an all black BBQ joint.  This had the best BBQ in this part of the state and the owner was a wonderful Christian man.

Its amazing how differently kids/young people develop, attitudinally. Both of mine took their time!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 03:30:39 pm »

We have 2 cases now in Florida where the ages are in their 20's.  Also read that a newborn has tested positive for the virus.  So, they are at risk of contracting the virus; perhaps they aren't at risk of fatality, but that's different.  Most importantly, they are now thinking that our youth may not have symptoms but can spread the virus to us old farts.  That has not been confirmed yet.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 03:31:26 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.