Author Topic: How it spreads, infects: Coronavirus impact comes into focus  (Read 457 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
WGN by: MARILYNN MARCHIONE 3/15/2020

The medical impact of the new coronavirus is coming into sharper focus as it continues its spread in what is now officially recognized as a pandemic.

Its true fatality rate isn’t yet known, but it seems 10 times higher than the flu, which kills hundreds of thousands around the world each year, the United States’ top infectious disease expert told lawmakers last week.

Most people have had mild to moderate illness and recovered, but the virus is more serious for those who are older or have other health problems.

HOW IT SPREADS

Most spread is from droplets produced when an infected person coughs, which are inhaled by people nearby. Transmission from touching contaminated surfaces hasn’t been shown yet, though recent tests by U.S. scientists suggest it’s possible — one reason they recommend washing your hands and not touching your face.

The virus can live in the air for several hours, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel. Cleaning surfaces with solutions containing diluted bleach should kill it.

“While we are still learning about the biology of this virus, it does not appear that there is a major risk of spread through sweat,” said Julie Fischer, a Georgetown University microbiologist. The biggest concern about going to the gym is infected people coughing on others, or contaminating shared surfaces or equipment, she said. Consider avoiding large classes and peak hours and don’t go if you’re coughing or feverish, she suggests.

More: https://wgnradio.com/news/how-it-spreads-infects-coronavirus-impact-comes-into-focus/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: How it spreads, infects: Coronavirus impact comes into focus
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 09:44:38 pm »
Came on my smartphone feed today from Google:

Do the Five:

1. Hands Wash them Often

2. Elbow Cough into It

3. Face Don't touch it

4. Feet Stay more than 3 ft. Apart

5. Feel sick, stay home

Above seems to be public announcement from WHO

Note We saw advce to wash clothes which have been worn outside and/or among others.

My wife mentioned leaving outdoor shoes outside, change for indoors.

Finally once you have a two week supply of TP, you can go out shopping every day for one day's re-supply.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 09:54:14 pm »
Finally once you have a two week supply of TP, you can go out shopping every day for one day's re-supply.

This does not seem wise to me. It would require you to interface with people and places every day.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 11:54:18 pm »
This does not seem wise to me. It would require you to interface with people and places every day.

I wrote the wrong thing, by mistake.. It took until uyou, to spot it.

I meant to say, you could QUIT going out every day.

Sorry.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 12:00:19 am »
Came on my smartphone feed today from Google:

Do the Five:

1. Hands Wash them Often

2. Elbow Cough into It

3. Face Don't touch it

4. Feet Stay more than 3 ft. Apart

5. Feel sick, stay home

Above seems to be public announcement from WHO

Note We saw advce to wash clothes which have been worn outside and/or among others.

My wife mentioned leaving outdoor shoes outside, change for indoors.

6.  Sanitize your hands and keys before you get into your vehicle.

7.  Sanitize your hands after you touch a "touch screen".

8.  Sanitize your counters with bleach after you put groceries away.

9.  Wipe down door knobs and light switches with sanitizing wipes or bleach.

10. Eat healthy and get some extra zzzzz's.

P.S.  It just may be easier not to go anywhere!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.