Author Topic: Dow has worst day since '87, S&P, Nasdaq hit bear market  (Read 633 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dow has worst day since '87, S&P, Nasdaq hit bear market
« on: March 12, 2020, 08:18:51 pm »
Published 16 mins ago
Dow has worst day since '87, S&P, Nasdaq hit bear market
The S&P 500 entered a bear market joining the Dow.

By Jonathan Garber, Suzanne O'HalloranFOXBusiness

U.S. equity markets cratered Thursday despite another flood of liquidity from the Federal Reserve after President Trump suspended travel from Europe for 30 days in an effort to contain the spread of the corona10 percent.

The S&P 500 entered a bear market down about 8 percent while the Nasdaq did as well dropping nearly 8 percent. Trading in U.S. equity markets was halted briefly just minutes after the opening bell when the S&P fell by 7 percent.

The entry into bear market territory was the fastest on record for the S&P and Nasdaq as tracked by the Dow Jones Market Data Group.

Stocks briefly trimmed some losses, before selling resumed after the New York Federal Reserve injected $1.5 trillion of fresh liquidity into the bond market.

The decline was the worst since the Black Monday crash of 1987 when the index lost 22 percent of its value in a single day amid trade-deficit and tax worries exacerbated by computerized trading.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/us-stocks-march-12-2020
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Dow has worst day since '87, S&P, Nasdaq hit bear market
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 08:21:13 pm »
Who and how do they determine when we enter a recession?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 08:51:48 pm »
Who and how do they determine when we enter a recession?

Dow ended down today over 2300 pts. and futures right now are over 2500 pts. As for your question - I did a google search.

A recession is a macroeconomic term that refers to a significant decline in general economic activity in a designated region. It is typically recognized after two consecutive quarters of economic decline, as reflected by GDP in conjunction with monthly indicators like employment.

So ... once businesses are effected and people start losing their jobs...I'd say we will be in a recession.  The DEMS are behind closed doors jumping for joy, thinking this will secure the nomination for Uncle Joe.  Hopefully, most people won't be that stupid.

Just in time for the election, right?  A part of me still believes that this could have all been orchestrated.  I don't put anything past the DEMS, so why would we even remotely trust China these days or both?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 09:28:30 pm »
Tomorrow is going to be another sell off - futures are down over 2600 pts. I predict we may see a 3,000 pt. sell off. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 09:39:38 pm »
Dow ended down today over 2300 pts. and futures right now are over 2500 pts. As for your question - I did a google search.

A recession is a macroeconomic term that refers to a significant decline in general economic activity in a designated region. It is typically recognized after two consecutive quarters of economic decline, as reflected by GDP in conjunction with monthly indicators like employment.

So ... once businesses are effected and people start losing their jobs...I'd say we will be in a recession.  The DEMS are behind closed doors jumping for joy, thinking this will secure the nomination for Uncle Joe.  Hopefully, most people won't be that stupid.

Just in time for the election, right?  A part of me still believes that this could have all been orchestrated.  I don't put anything past the DEMS, so why would we even remotely trust China these days or both?

It has to do it for two quarters in a row. This virus thing shouldn't last more than quarter I would think. So one major dive over a 3 month period followed by a rise won't qualify as a recession.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:42:25 pm »
It has to do it for two quarters in a row. This virus thing shouldn't last more than quarter I would think. So one major dive over a 3 month period followed by a rise won't qualify as a recession.

Well, the virus is one issue and oil is yet another.  The market received a double whammy --- just in time to try to sway the election in Biden's favor.  Just my opinion.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 09:47:23 pm »
Well, the virus is one issue and oil is yet another.  The market received a double whammy --- just in time to try to sway the election in Biden's favor.  Just my opinion.

Oil isn't shutting down nearly all sectors of business and the transportation of products. The virus is flirting with it. It was a mistake for Trump to claim the market was all about oil and not the virus. Cheap oil/energy stimulates a large sector of business while suppressing others that are related to oil production. If the virus issue wasn't underlying everything going on oil would have had far less impact on the markets.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 11:17:39 pm »
Surprise!  Futures are only down 158 pts.  Huge difference from the 2,500+ earlier.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 11:20:56 pm »
I am SO glad our retirement money is out of the market (for now).

I know it will recover, but when earning stops, it's good for the peace of mind to have your money in safe places...
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 11:41:30 pm »
I predicted -2,500 this morning. Got pretty close.

I'll also predict that NOTHING the administration does is going to assuage the fears and panic among investors. They're gonna do what they're gonna do.

I'll guess that tomorrow being Friday, a good number of them are gonna think to themselves, "I've had enough, I'm getting out for at least the weekend and see what happens next week". Could be another big selloff day.

How much longer can we go without closing the markets down for a while, two weeks, maybe three? Until the virus "peaks" and the infections curve starts dipping downward...?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 12:03:56 am »
I predicted -2,500 this morning. Got pretty close.

I'll also predict that NOTHING the administration does is going to assuage the fears and panic among investors. They're gonna do what they're gonna do.

I'll guess that tomorrow being Friday, a good number of them are gonna think to themselves, "I've had enough, I'm getting out for at least the weekend and see what happens next week". Could be another big selloff day.

How much longer can we go without closing the markets down for a while, two weeks, maybe three? Until the virus "peaks" and the infections curve starts dipping downward...?

Circuit breakers, printing money we don't have, closing the markets all equal market manipulation.  Right now fear is driving this market.  The only thing that is going to calm those fears is if the virus starts to dissipate with warmer temperatures (doubtful) and/or an effective vaccine is formulated.  Until then, nothing is going to resolve this.

What we have in the meantime are the DEMS coming in and saying that they are saving America and waving freebies and promises vs. Trump who is getting blamed for this virus.  Politics as usual!   9999hair out0000