Author Topic: World Coronavirus News II with Updates  (Read 64832 times)

Offline mountaineer

Coronavirus: Police to verify Canadians complying with quarantine order, RCMP says
By Stewart Bell and Andrew Russell Global News
Posted April 10, 2020 11:01 am
Updated April 10, 2020 1:46 pm
Canadian police are to begin visiting homes to enforce the government’s COVID-19 quarantine, the RCMP said on Friday, warning that “recklessly” failing to comply could result in a $1-million fine and three years in prison.  ...

But enforcement will focus on “education and encouragement,” it said, adding “RCMP officers will attempt to conduct physical verification with the individual while maintaining physical distancing.”

Police forces across the country have issued hundreds of tickets and even made arrests in some cases after people violated quarantine orders or social-distancing rules.   ...
Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

RCMP to enforce Quarantine Act, while Trudeau says no plan to invoke Emergencies Act
Officers could visit homes to ensure anyone entering Canada is self-isolating for 14 days, and police can now make arrests, but only as a last resort
The Canadian Press   
Holly McKenzie-Sutter
April 10, 2020
The RCMP announced new powers aimed at enforcing the Quarantine Act, while Prime Minister Justin Trudeau hinted Friday that rules could be loosened this summer if Canadians act now to contain the spread of COVID-19.

The police force says it has been asked to assist in enforcing the act in the midst of the pandemic. Officers could visit homes to ensure anyone entering Canada is self-isolating for 14 days, and police can now make arrests, rather than issue a court appearance notice or summons.

The RCMP says arrests under the act, violations of which could include a fine of up to $750,000 and imprisonment for six months, will be a last resort.  ...
National Post

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Virus Outbreak: Chinese issue fake apology for Taiwan
« Reply #1227 on: April 10, 2020, 07:57:33 pm »
Sat, Apr 11, 2020 page1

Virus Outbreak: Chinese issue fake apology for Taiwan
    MISDIRECTION: Chinese social media users posing as Taiwanese have taken responsibility for racist attacks that the WHO’s head claimed originated in Taiwan
        By Jason Pan / Staff reporter

Chinese posing as Taiwanese have issued online apologies to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus for “personal attacks” and “racist abuse,” Taiwanese authorities said yesterday.

Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau officials presented the findings at a media briefing to rebut accusations by Tedros, who on Wednesday accused Taiwan of engaging in personal attacks against him.

Tedros said that he over the past three months received death threats and racist abuse, and claimed that it originated from Taiwan.

Read more at:  https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2020/04/11/2003734395
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:10:34 pm by TomSea »

Offline Hoodat

Re: World Coronavirus News II with Updates
« Reply #1228 on: April 10, 2020, 07:58:44 pm »
I wonder how all of you would have reacted to the Great Depression and all the sacrifices and rationing during World War II.  I wonder if you would have given up so quickly to real hardship and sacrifice when there is so much complaining about the tiny sacrifices we are making now

I wonder.......

The our reaction to the current crisis is the exact opposite of our reaction to WWII.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:59:34 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

Re: Virus Outbreak: Chinese issue fake apology for Taiwan
« Reply #1229 on: April 10, 2020, 08:01:01 pm »
Here is more from RADIO FREE ASIA

Taiwan Finds Fake Twitter Accounts Tweeting Apologies From 'Taiwanese' to WHO Chief
2020-04-10

Director Zhang Youren of Taiwan's Bureau of Investigation describes Chinese information warfare efforts against Taiwan, April 10, 2020.
RFA

Investigators in Taiwan say they have found a number of fake Twitter accounts linked to China posting fake apologies to World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who has accused the democratic island of involvement in a series of personal and racist attacks against him.

Investigators from the ministry of justice in Taiwan said they had uncovered an effort by Chinese netizens to exploit the controversy by falsely identifying themselves as Taiwanese and issuing apologies to Tedros online, the island's Central News Agency reported.

The posts appeared on fake accounts made to imitate the account of Radio Free Asia, and included apology templates posted by an account calling itself "Radio Free Xuzhou."

Read more at:  https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/apologies-04102020105650.html

Okay, I'm not sure if I got the pretenses right in post #1 but everyone can read for themselves, I have heard of them imitating RFA, Radio Free Asia previously.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1230 on: April 10, 2020, 08:03:55 pm »
The our reaction to the current crisis is the exact opposite of our reaction to WWII.

Back then we had real Japanese aircraft and carriers raining very real bombs on our sailors.  There was no doubt what we were up against.  Today, we're under attack by a virus, with models and potentially fudged data the only visible evidence.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This will work as well as the mandated rifle registry did.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1232 on: April 10, 2020, 08:17:28 pm »
Back then we had real Japanese aircraft and carriers raining very real bombs on our sailors.  There was no doubt what we were up against.  Today, we're under attack by a virus, with models and potentially fudged data the only visible evidence.

But the sacrifices are infinitesimal and the whining ear shattering.

We are a weaker people than we used to be, addicted to comfort and convenience.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1233 on: April 10, 2020, 08:24:13 pm »

I don't think there's a lot of "whining," but there is a lot of caution being displayed about the precedents being set.  Others may disagree about what "infinitesimal " means.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #1234 on: April 10, 2020, 08:34:31 pm »

I see parallels @Hoodat  .  There are Americans all over the nation sewing PPE for our brave men and women on the front lines, and businesses who are donating materials in this war.  The big difference I see is a hostile media that is doing a poor job educating our people.  Fortunately we a have a President and a task force that spends 2 hours a day educating anybody that will listen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America

Captain America Comics #1 — cover-dated March 1941 and on sale December 20, 1940, a year before the attack on Pearl Harbor, but a full year into World War II — showed the protagonist punching Nazi leader Adolf Hitler; it sold nearly one million copies.

On the other had we had years to prepare to enter WWII.  Hopefully this will not last as long.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1235 on: April 10, 2020, 08:40:01 pm »
During WWII, our government asked the people to put their lives on the line.  Millions were sent out of their communities to face dangers in unfamiliar places.  Women abandoned abandoned the safety of their homes to take factory jobs and produce the needs of the nation.  Today, our government is doing the exact opposite.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1236 on: April 10, 2020, 08:41:58 pm »
I don't think there's a lot of "whining," but there is a lot of caution being displayed about the precedents being set.  Others may disagree about what "infinitesimal " means.

You're right.  The vast majority are not whining because they understand.  But there's a BIG difference between caution, and all the "Sky is falling!!!" going on among some here.  Any intelligent Conservative is wary of what's going on and hoping to come out of these restrictions soon.   But the incessant whining....... dare I say "hysteria??"......  is telling.

Some people in America are actually suffering, but most are just being told to stay home, where they can telework, where they can keep contact with family, where they can go out for walks and enjoy the beauty of God's creation, where they can worship in any church in the country because of online services, where they can read and listen to music, where they are safe and warm and well-fed.

The griping is over the top, and I maintain that most people in this country now would not have survived the Depression OR the sacrifices and rationing in World War II.

Nonetheless, this country will survive because underneath all this flabbiness, we are still Americans, and just maybe we'll be in better shape after all is said and done.

But I said I'd keep my unwelcomed optimism away from TBR, so maybe I'll shut up now.....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1237 on: April 10, 2020, 08:54:14 pm »
The principal optimists on this board are the ones who have been discounting the dire projections being handed out daily.  The optimists are the ones dismissing the 80,000-dead-by-July predictions.  The optimists are the ones who have continually pointed out predictions on similar pandemics proved to be grossly exaggerated.  The optimists are the ones who have kept the big picture focus instead of pouring out their feelings about the tragedies of individual cases.

It was the optimists who pointed out how antibody tests could be used to create an army of buffers against this.  And it was the optimists who have championed personal responsibility and proactive action, instead of government mandates of delaying the end game.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1238 on: April 10, 2020, 09:03:15 pm »
The principal optimists on this board are the ones who have been discounting the dire projections being handed out daily.  The optimists are the ones dismissing the 80,000-dead-by-July predictions.  The optimists are the ones who have continually pointed out predictions on similar pandemics proved to be grossly exaggerated.  The optimists are the ones who have kept the big picture focus instead of pouring out their feelings about the tragedies of individual cases.

It was the optimists who pointed out how antibody tests could be used to create an army of buffers against this.  And it was the optimists who have championed personal responsibility and proactive action, instead of government mandates of delaying the end game.

I don't disagree with some of the things you've said here, but how is it, in your view, that an 'optimist' dismisses the pain of thousands of individuals?  I'm not sure that ignoring the suffering of our healthcare workers, doctors, nurses, equates with optimism.

And I'm not sure how criticizing 'delaying the end game,' in order to prevent the kind of overwhelming of hospitals that is happening in Italy and New York and thus saving those same healthcare workers and possibly thousands of lives equates with optimism either.

By delaying the worst of the spread of this disease we have succeeded in giving our hospitals time to get equipment, shore up the shortage of PPE's (caused by the gross neglect of the Obama administration), and as a result kept the numbers down.  There has been more time to develop treatments because of the mitigation of responsible leaders, and we are much closer to a vaccine as well.

Pretending that this isn't what it actually is, isn't optimism.  It's denial.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:07:55 pm by musiclady »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1239 on: April 10, 2020, 09:06:38 pm »
During WWII, our government asked the people to put their lives on the line.  Millions were sent out of their communities to face dangers in unfamiliar places.  Women abandoned abandoned the safety of their homes to take factory jobs and produce the needs of the nation.  Today, our government is doing the exact opposite.

Not that you didn't know this, but the self-sacrifice I was referring to had to do with rationing and not having things you needed to keep your household and family going.  There were very real sacrifices for every single American and people were in need because all our resources were going to the war effort.

I was not talking about the troops serving in the War.

But you knew that, didn't you?  **nononono*

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1240 on: April 10, 2020, 09:17:36 pm »
Not that you didn't know this, but the self-sacrifice I was referring to had to do with rationing and not having things you needed to keep your household and family going.  There were very real sacrifices for every single American and people were in need because all our resources were going to the war effort.

I was not talking about the troops serving in the War.

But you knew that, didn't you?  **nononono*

I'm really not that personally familiar with sacrifices being made by others.  Since I recently retired, I'm not that interested in going out and about anyway.  We have always kept a full pantry and freezer, so we can go for months.   :shrug:

Doesn't keep me from expressing concern about the political ramifications of policies, though, and this is a political discussion forum.  Wild speculation is the coin of the realm.

And don't you dare eschew optimism and "shut up."   :tongue2:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1241 on: April 10, 2020, 09:17:56 pm »
What is it exactly that you feel I should be sacrificing that I am not?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1242 on: April 10, 2020, 09:21:15 pm »
I'm really not that personally familiar with sacrifices being made by others.  Since I recently retired, I'm not that interested in going out and about anyway.  We have always kept a full pantry and freezer, so we can go for months.   :shrug:

Doesn't keep me from expressing concern about the political ramifications of policies, though, and this is a political discussion forum.  Wild speculation is the coin of the realm.

And don't you dare eschew optimism and "shut up."
  :tongue2:

:beer:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1243 on: April 10, 2020, 09:22:52 pm »
What is it exactly that you feel I should be sacrificing that I am not?

What an odd question.  :shrug:

But I'll answer it anyway.......... not a single thing.  Never stated, nor even remotely implied that anyone should sacrifice more.

Odd, odd question...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1244 on: April 10, 2020, 09:42:13 pm »
Y'all are talking past each other, it appears to me.  From where I sit (on the employment sidelines), I'm not personally sacrificing anything, other than not being forced to go out and do things when I'd rather just stay at the Castle.  It's the "hermit life!"  Sacrificing is what the working folks down at the Casinos are doing, now that they're all thrown out of work. 

I think what's concerning to us, on varying levels, is how much personal and economic disruption the panic is causing, and it's important because the Rats are prone to stampeding the public when they want to create a crisis to exploit for their gain.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gemmarose

« Reply #1245 on: April 10, 2020, 09:43:32 pm »

A whole generation of snowflakes that need mommy to buy things for them because they don’t want to work.
Democracy is the worse form of government known to man, with the exception of every other form of government known to man.
-Winston Churchill

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1246 on: April 10, 2020, 09:51:08 pm »
Police raided the ship in protective suits. Australia has apparently been largely spared of this virus and apparently, they are using a lot of strict guidelines still.

Ship at center of virus outbreak raided by Australian police
Updated 3:38 am EDT, Thursday, April 9, 2020

Photo: Nathan Patterson, AP
Image 2 of 5
In this Wednesday, April 8, 2020, photo provided by the New South Wales Police, investigators in protective gear examine material from the Ruby Princess cruise ship at Wollongong, Australia. Police boarded the ... more

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — Police wearing protective gear boarded a cruise ship to seize evidence and question crew members of the vessel linked to hundreds of coronavirus infections and 15 deaths across Australia.

About 2,700 passengers disembarked from the ship on March 19 in Sydney and it has since become the largest source of coronavirus infections in Australia. More than 600 cases of COVID-19 and 15 deaths are linked the to the ship, the Ruby Princess.

More at:https://www.ctpost.com/news/world/article/Ship-at-center-of-virus-outbreak-raided-by-15188861.php#photo-19275697

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1247 on: April 10, 2020, 09:54:33 pm »

Lest you forget, WWII put America back to work.
Corona virus put much of America out of work.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1248 on: April 10, 2020, 10:00:25 pm »
Lest you forget, WWII put America back to work.
Corona virus put much of America out of work.

Again........... not my point. 

Read earlier posts if you want to find out what it is. 

Hint...... it wasn't that hard to understand.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1249 on: April 10, 2020, 10:01:33 pm »
A whole generation of snowflakes that need mommy to buy things for them because they don’t want to work.

Exactly.  We are, even some older folks, weaker people than we were a couple of generations ago.