Author Topic: Coronavirus Is 'Angel of Death' for Seniors  (Read 1170 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Coronavirus Is 'Angel of Death' for Seniors
« on: March 09, 2020, 09:22:21 pm »
David A. Patten    |   Monday, 09 March 2020 01:45 PM

The coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China, is stalking seniors, killing them 10 times more frequently than its younger victims, especially if they already have an underlying health conditions, medical officials report.

Last week the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advised older Americans and those with health problems to "stay home as much as possible." The CDC has also stated older adults are "at higher risk" of serious health repercussions if they’re infected with COVID-19.

On Sunday, the State Department issued an advisory urging all travelers to avoid cruise vacations for now, especially those who are older or have underlying health issues to avoid cruise ships.

"We want people who are older, people who have medical conditions, to take steps to protect themselves," Surgeon General Jerome Adams told CNN’s "State of the Union," "including avoiding crowded spaces, including thinking very carefully about whether or not now is the time to get on that cruise ship, whether now is the time to take that long haul flight.

more
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/coronavirus-kill-senior-citizens/2020/03/09/id/957522/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Coronavirus Is 'Angel of Death' for Seniors
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 09:23:15 pm »
According to the World Health Organization’s analysis of the data provided by the Chinese, the chance of dying if you catch the disease depends heavily on one’s age, as follows:

Those 80-plus have a fatality rate of 14.8%.
    Those 70-79 have a fatality rate of 8.0%
    Those 60-69 have a fatality rate of 3.6%
    Those 50-59 have a fatality rate of 1.3%
    Those 40-49 have a fatality rate of 0.4%
    Those 30-39 have a fatality rate of 0.2%
    Those 20-29 have a fatality rate of 0.2%
    Those 10-19 have a fatality rate of 0.2%

Parents of small children will be relieved to learn there have been no reported fatalities involving anyone under age 10.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 09:30:27 pm »
Joy.  I fall into the category of 3.6%, combined with heart disease, well, I'm probably a goner if I get it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 09:33:14 pm »
So, if you are 79 yo, you have a 92% chance of going fishing again..... better than wall street odds...

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 09:40:27 pm »
Joy.  I fall into the category of 3.6%, combined with heart disease, well, I'm probably a goner if I get it.

Take lots of vitamin D3 if you don't get much sun exposure. I take 10,000 IU a day. Costo has 5,000 IU small gel caps. It is the only thing I've ever taken that made a big difference on catching colds and flu and how sick I got as a result. I don't get much sun exposure and I often burn if I do. D3 is a big deal for me.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 01:33:56 am »
Take lots of vitamin D3 if you don't get much sun exposure. I take 10,000 IU a day. Costo has 5,000 IU small gel caps. It is the only thing I've ever taken that made a big difference on catching colds and flu and how sick I got as a result. I don't get much sun exposure and I often burn if I do. D3 is a big deal for me.

... And start jackin C's. High doses of vit C are hell on viruses. Especially if high prior to infection.

And fermented foods and vinegar based foods help too. My diet would likely be considered copious toward fermented/vinegar foods  compared to the average city dweller. But anyone from the country knows the benefit of vinegar toward health, even supplementing animal feed with apple cider vinegar for the health of farm animals - they won't get sick nearly as easy.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 02:30:32 am »
My husband and I both take Airborne in addition to D and neither of us ever gets even a cold.

Exercise helps too...... keeps your immune system in better shape, not to mention your lungs.

I’m in the 8% category and I ain’t worried.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 05:48:03 pm »
I won't deny I am a touch worried (or maybe I'm just touched, in general, LOL).
I do have COPD, so respiratory-type illness are always a concern.
It hasn't kept me from work or from doing other things outside the home, though.
Currently, we have very high oak and pine pollen issues in my area, which have me sneezing and wheezing a bit more than normal.
This is more of a concern to me than the virus, to be honest.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 07:34:12 pm »
I won't deny I am a touch worried (or maybe I'm just touched, in general, LOL).
I do have COPD, so respiratory-type illness are always a concern.
It hasn't kept me from work or from doing other things outside the home, though.
Currently, we have very high oak and pine pollen issues in my area, which have me sneezing and wheezing a bit more than normal.
This is more of a concern to me than the virus, to be honest.

I'm 67 and have heart disease and diabetes, two of the major risk factors.  A buddy of mine is 75 and has COPD --even higher risk.  We have a breakfast date at IHOP on Friday.    Only possible impediment may be bad weather.  We are not going to cancel because we *MIGHT* get the coronavirus. 

It's ok to be concerned.  Do what you can to keep yourself as healthy as possible.  But don't stay home and live in fear.

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 07:51:54 pm »
... And start jackin C's. High doses of vit C are hell on viruses. Especially if high prior to infection.

And fermented foods and vinegar based foods help too. My diet would likely be considered copious toward fermented/vinegar foods  compared to the average city dweller. But anyone from the country knows the benefit of vinegar toward health, even supplementing animal feed with apple cider vinegar for the health of farm animals - they won't get sick nearly as easy.

I take megadoses of Vitaman C and a large amount of D3....and a large amount of other vitamins. It seems to help. I have done so for many years.

What shocks me is when they say seniors....and I realize they mean me!!! 9999hair out0000 @roamer_1

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 08:01:18 pm »

I take megadoses of Vitaman C and a large amount of D3....and a large amount of other vitamins. It seems to help. I have done so for many years.

What shocks me is when they say seniors....and I realize they mean me!!! 9999hair out0000 @roamer_1

In the 3% category too, but with minimal pre-existing condtions.    We are doing our grocery shopping at night with proper disinfecting.  We also do the 5000 I.U D3, and and daily drink of Emegen C.  Not too worried, but am taking precautions to minimize external contacts.

One other comment....    Dr. told me that taking over 5000 I.U D3 is not good for you.  Anyone else heard otherwise?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 08:03:28 pm »
What shocks me is when they say seniors....and I realize they mean me!!! 9999hair out0000

@berdie

I know right?

I don't pay much mind to my age... Mostly I don't know or care how old I am, other than that I can calculate pretty quick because if it is a even year, my age will be even too, and I kinda know which numbers have gone on by...

Well I just had a birthday and paused to contemplate my age... And being an even year, And knowing it can't be 56... Wait! Crap! 58??? Why that's dang near 60!!  *bouche*

LOL! Not that bad a shock though... The bad one was an ankle biter crawling around callin me grampa. Now that was hard to swallow.
 :seeya:

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 08:11:12 pm »
I'm 58 too...

Offline berdie

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 08:32:50 pm »
@berdie

I know right?

I don't pay much mind to my age... Mostly I don't know or care how old I am, other than that I can calculate pretty quick because if it is a even year, my age will be even too, and I kinda know which numbers have gone on by...

Well I just had a birthday and paused to contemplate my age... And being an even year, And knowing it can't be 56... Wait! Crap! 58??? Why that's dang near 60!!  *bouche*

LOL! Not that bad a shock though... The bad one was an ankle biter crawling around callin me grampa. Now that was hard to swallow.

Happy late birthday @roamer_1 ! All this other stuff is just a thang, lol. Mind youth is the thing imo. happy77

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 08:41:12 pm »

Happy late birthday @roamer_1 ! All this other stuff is just a thang, lol. Mind youth is the thing imo. happy77

@berdie
 :beer:

It's all good. I made my bones, and now I get to sit on the porch and enjoy it. Leave all the fussing and carrying on to my kids. I wonder if I looked as dumb as they do when it was me? And that, in a nutshell is wisdom.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 09:54:21 pm »
@berdie
 :beer:

It's all good. I made my bones, and now I get to sit on the porch and enjoy it. Leave all the fussing and carrying on to my kids. I wonder if I looked as dumb as they do when it was me? And that, in a nutshell is wisdom.

Why HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  You are just a young'n!  I'm a full two risk groups older than you are!  happy77

@roamer_1

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 10:05:47 pm »
I'm 67 and have heart disease and diabetes, two of the major risk factors.  A buddy of mine is 75 and has COPD --even higher risk.  We have a breakfast date at IHOP on Friday.    Only possible impediment may be bad weather.  We are not going to cancel because we *MIGHT* get the coronavirus. 

It's ok to be concerned.  Do what you can to keep yourself as healthy as possible.  But don't stay home and live in fear.

I'm a few years younger than you @Applewood but I too also have heart disease and pre-diabetes.  I've got my stockpiles, did a bit of grocery shopping today and other than taking my daily walks in the park, hubby and I will stay @ home till more is known about this virus.  It's flu season anyways and it's a good time not to take any additional risks.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 10:13:33 pm »
Why HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  You are just a young'n!  I'm a full two risk groups older than you are!  happy77

@roamer_1

Thanks! And watch out! I'm catching up!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 10:52:17 pm »
Thanks! And watch out! I'm catching up!

Hey ..... when I was a kid your age I hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back!

You’ll never catch up with me!  wink777

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 10:59:30 pm »
Hey ..... when I was a kid your age I hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back!

You’ll never catch up with me!  wink777

I dunno... I live in country that's all on edge. Though you'd never find me walkin around in the Grand Canyon. Needs more snow. And trees.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 11:05:12 pm »
I dunno... I live in country that's all on edge. Though you'd never find me walkin around in the Grand Canyon. Needs more snow. And trees.

Snow and trees on the top, desert at the bottom, and everything else in between.

We went from 35 degrees to 85 as we descended (in May).  Loveliest thing I've ever seen.  (Though your part of the country is spectacular as well!)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 11:20:00 pm »
Snow and trees on the top, desert at the bottom, and everything else in between.

We went from 35 degrees to 85 as we descended (in May).  Loveliest thing I've ever seen.  (Though your part of the country is spectacular as well!)

If you ever have the time for around 10-14 days on horseback, take a wander up into the Bob Marshall Wilderness to the China Wall country - The Chinese Wall, a magnificent escarpment, right on the continental divide. Had I my druthers, that's where I would be.

I may not be as traveled as many folks are, but the benefit of that is that I know this country right here... The parts that the tourists never get to see...

If I ever get my legs working right, I could show you country that would make you weep for the grandeur of it... Where no one ever goes... Though it takes weeks to do it right.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 11:36:29 pm »
If you ever have the time for around 10-14 days on horseback, take a wander up into the Bob Marshall Wilderness to the China Wall country - The Chinese Wall, a magnificent escarpment, right on the continental divide. Had I my druthers, that's where I would be.

I may not be as traveled as many folks are, but the benefit of that is that I know this country right here... The parts that the tourists never get to see...

If I ever get my legs working right, I could show you country that would make you weep for the grandeur of it... Where no one ever goes... Though it takes weeks to do it right.

I would absolutely LOVE that!

My husband and I did the entire Lewis and Clark trip on our own (no tour), and found us ALL by ourselves in parts of North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana and Idaho, and that was the greatest experience we've ever had.

To be in Montana with a tour guide who knows the territory and could take us where no one ever goes.......

A dream come true!

(Besides......... no COVID 19 there in the wilds, I bet!)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:37:16 pm by musiclady »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 11:45:33 pm »
I would absolutely LOVE that!

My husband and I did the entire Lewis and Clark trip on our own (no tour), and found us ALL by ourselves in parts of North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana and Idaho, and that was the greatest experience we've ever had.

To be in Montana with a tour guide who knows the territory and could take us where no one ever goes.......

A dream come true!

(Besides......... no COVID 19 there in the wilds, I bet!)

And I would love to show you. That's the problem with that high lonesome country - It is extremely hard to get at, and pics just don't begin to do it justice.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 05:55:33 pm »
I'm 58 too...

Almost, 1/2 year away,

September 9th, 1962.