Author Topic: PBS Likens Trump to Nazi Sympathizer Charles Lindbergh  (Read 2234 times)

rangerrebew

PBS Likens Trump to Nazi Sympathizer Charles Lindbergh
« on: March 07, 2020, 03:43:21 pm »

PBS Likens Trump to Nazi Sympathizer Charles Lindbergh
By Brad Wilmouth | March 6, 2020 6:45 PM EST

On Wednesday's Amanpour & Co. show, PBS/CNN International host Christiane Amanpour and television producer David Simon likened 1930s Nazi sympathizer and famous aviator Charles Lindbergh's political movement to that of President Donald Trump as the two discussed the HBO series The Plot Against America. The series -- produced by Simon -- is based on Philip Roth's novel, which imagined the pro-Germany Lindbergh defeating President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1940.

As she introduced the segment, Amanpour recalled: "Lindbergh is famous for his trans-Atlantic flight, but what's lesser known are his views on politics. Before Trump's 'America First,' Charles Lindbergh represented America First -- the powerful isolationist organization. Lindbergh was pro-Germany and was denounced by many as anti-Semitic."

She soon further hinted at similarity between the work of fiction and the current political environment:

Source URL: https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/brad-wilmouth/2020/03/05/pbs-likens-trump-nazi-sympathizer-charles-lindbergh

Offline skeeter

Re: PBS Likens Trump to Nazi Sympathizer Charles Lindbergh
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 04:07:00 pm »
Even less known about Lindbergh was his patriotic response, like millions of Americans, after Pearl Harbor. After FDR refused his request to re-enter the service he flew dozens of missions in the Pacific as a 'civilian consultant'.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 06:04:27 pm »
Even less known about Lindbergh was his patriotic response, like millions of Americans, after Pearl Harbor. After FDR refused his request to re-enter the service he flew dozens of missions in the Pacific as a 'civilian consultant'.

@skeeter

Of course Comrade Roosevelt was going to deny someone that hated communism and communists a chance to fight for America. ROOSEVELT wasn't even fighting for America. He was using the American military to fight for he beloved "Uncle Joe" and Communist Russia.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 06:08:39 pm »
Trump had better keep a close watch on his family.
Liberals are insane. And they are vicious.
If they can't get Trump, they will go for the next best option.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 06:11:51 pm »
@skeeter

Of course Comrade Roosevelt was going to deny someone that hated communism and communists a chance to fight for America. ROOSEVELT wasn't even fighting for America. He was using the American military to fight for he beloved "Uncle Joe" and Communist Russia.

He did consider Lindbergh a political enemy & wasn't gonna allow him a platform to regain the popularity he once had.

Re: his alleged anti semitism, I've found just as many Lindbergh quotes supporting both sides of the argument. There is certainly no more proof of his anti semitism as there is many in the Roosevelt Administration.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:13:43 pm by skeeter »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 06:25:07 pm »
PBS - our tax dollars at work.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 06:43:23 pm »
It's true that pre-WWII Lindbergh praised the Nazi regime and made what could certainly be considered anti-Semitic remarks.
Some people have argued that he, as an avid anti-communist  was more concerned about Soviet Russia and the spread of communism.
He even accepted a medal from the Nazis.
After the war started stopped his pro-Nazi talk and offered his services to FDR in a military role.
FDR turned him down, but Lindbergh flew many missions in the Pacific as a civilian advisor and even shot down one Japanese plane.
What is not generally known about Lindbergh is that beginning around 1957 he had  seven children from three German women who he had promise not to reveal their relationships. One daughter eventually discovered the truth about who her father was, and the rest of the story was revealed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:46:32 pm by goatprairie »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 06:47:50 pm »
It's true that pre-WWII Lindbergh praised the Nazi regime and made what could certainly be considered anti-Semitic remarks.
Some people have argued that he, as an avid anti-communist  was more concerned about Soviet Russia and the spread of communism.
He even accepted a medal from the Nazis.
After the war started stopped his pro-Nazi talk and offered his services to FDR in a military role.
FDR turned him down, but Lindbergh flew many missions in the Pacific as a civilian advisor and even shot down one Japanese plane.
What was not discovered about Lindbergh is that beginning around 1957 he had  seven children from three German women who he had promise not to reveal their relationships. One daughter eventually discovered the truth about who her father was, and the rest of the story was revealed.

It's a sign of the times, I guess, that a guy with a record of achievement like Lindbergh's would all these years later be simply referred to as a 'nazi sympathizer'.

Didn't know about those frauleins on-the-side, though,
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:48:36 pm by skeeter »

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 06:49:37 pm »
I'm no History Prof, but AFAIK, the similarities between Lindbergh and Trump pretty much end at being humans, adults, and being bipedal.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 06:56:39 pm »
PBS - our tax dollars at work.  *****rollingeyes*****

@mountaineer

Yeah,NOT buying that standard rant. There is a LOT of good stuff broadcast on PBS,as well as there is leftist swill broadcast there. The leftist swill will never change as long as most of the viewers remain leftists because that is the input the various station managers get.

If you like historical drama,PBS is the place to go for shows like Masterpiece Theater.  NOBODY does drama better than the British. If you aren't a big fan of historical dramas,go for shows like MI-5,Luther,Mrs Browns Boys (comedy),Danger USB,etc,etc,etc. The British take acting seriously.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 06:56:54 pm »
I'm no History Prof, but AFAIK, the similarities between Lindbergh and Trump pretty much end at being humans, adults, and being bipedal.

And Trump doesn't look one bit like Jimmy Stewart....   wink777
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 07:02:14 pm »
@sneakypete , I don't disagree there's some good programming on public TV, but in light of the taxpayer funding they have no business being (one sided) political.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 07:05:59 pm »
@sneakypete , I don't disagree there's some good programming on public TV, but in light of the taxpayer funding they have no business being (one sided) political.

And they are hard core one sided.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 07:07:06 pm »

@mountaineer

I can't argue with that.

I can only suggest the only way to change it is to have more conservative veiwers/subscribers,so we are registered with them and they will see our complaints about various shows when we see things we find too political or objectionable.

Keep in mind that WE are by nature as guilty of bias as the left or anyone else,and the only way you can learn and evolve it to be exposed to different viewpoints at a level where you can come to understand why others support them. Only THEN will you have valid arguments to make. Shouting "Neener,neener,your mama is fat and yore daddy is stoopid!" ain't going to get you very far.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 07:13:40 pm »

Government has NO business at all subsidizing any form of media period! End of sentence!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 07:18:02 pm »

But you do have to wonder if they sit around in their golden palaces and try to think up ways to pizz of 60% of the population....

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2020, 07:40:37 pm »
Government has NO business at all subsidizing any form of media period! End of sentence!

:amen:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 07:48:50 pm »

@Bigun

I disagree. Otherwise we would only get to see and hear what is profitable to air.

This means our exposure to ideas and history would be limited.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2020, 07:51:36 pm »
@Bigun

I disagree. Otherwise we would only get to see and hear what is profitable to air.

This means our exposure to ideas and history would be limited.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me @sneakypete but I would remind you that what Government subsidizes government controls!  Always has been so and always will be so.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 08:08:21 pm »
There were plenty of people who praised what Hitler was doing in Germany in the 1930s.   And Anti-Semitism was pretty much a part of every European country at the time.    It was only after Krystallnacht, that many started to realize just how bad it was in Nazi Germany.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 08:16:05 pm »
I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me @sneakypete but I would remind you that what Government subsidizes government controls!  Always has been so and always will be so.

@Bigun

And that is a reason to throw out the baby with the bathwater?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 08:24:13 pm »
@Bigun

And that is a reason to throw out the baby with the bathwater?

IMHO more than reason enough @sneakypete

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 08:27:26 pm »
IMHO more than reason enough @sneakypete

@Bigun

Ok,but never forgot that those who continue to do nothing to solve the problem become part of the problem. PBS will never change as long as there is no reason for them to change.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 08:30:24 pm »
@Bigun

Ok,but never forgot that those who continue to do nothing to solve the problem become part of the problem. PBS will never change as long as there is no reason for them to change.

PBS will never change for so long as it gets OUR tax money to prop it up without having to compete in the marketplace.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Absalom

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2020, 09:33:59 pm »
The headline (and the topic, by the way) is 'Nazi Sympathizer Charles Lindbergh'.
Firstly, this is an ignorant slander from PBS, a lefty media shill.
Lindbergh was NOT a Nazi sympathizer; rather he was a militant opponent of our entry
into the Great War who supported America First.
Reflecting, the War was one of the greatest tragedies ever visited on Mankind and from which
Europe has never recovered. As important, it was NEVER ANY OF OUR GOD-DAM BUSINESS!!!
Many wise heads opposed our entry but POTUS Wilson, insisted, yet why?
Because Great Britain was effectively bankrupt having borrowed, on Wall Street, multiple tens of billions to finance their war effort which was teetering on the battlefield by 1917.
Consequently the fat wallet gang were extremely agitated that if Germany won the War
they wouldn't get their money back. Cold reality!
So they beseeched and pressured the feckless and impressionable Wilson; a schoolteacher
academic who was easily persuadable as well as desperate for notoriety and his place in history.
As man is not clairvoyant, he cannot know the future. Nevertheless the ageless virtue of prudence asserts that leaders must assess any decision they make now be measured against its possible consequences in the future.
Since 1900 how many of our leaders have earned the label prudent???

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:58:37 pm by Absalom »