Author Topic: Airman's $15 Invention Could Save the Air Force Millions  (Read 313 times)

rangerrebew

Airman's $15 Invention Could Save the Air Force Millions
« on: March 07, 2020, 02:51:14 pm »

5 Mar 2020
Stars and Stripes | By Christopher Dennis

RAF MILDENHALL, England -- A $15 tool developed by an airman at RAF Mildenhall could save the Air Force millions of dollars a year by greatly reducing the time needed to find fuel tank leaks.

The 3D printed, pressurized leak detection cup developed by Staff Sgt. Patrick Leach decreases by up to 75% the time it takes to detect leaks in fuel tanks, the 100th Air Refueling Wing said in a statement.

The new tool has been authorized for use on KC-135 refueler aircraft at RAF Mildenhall, where it's estimated it will save $1.5 million a year in man hours.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/03/05/airmans-15-invention-could-save-air-force-millions.html

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Airman's $15 Invention Could Save the Air Force Millions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:22:48 pm »

5 Mar 2020
Stars and Stripes | By Christopher Dennis

RAF MILDENHALL, England -- A $15 tool developed by an airman at RAF Mildenhall could save the Air Force millions of dollars a year by greatly reducing the time needed to find fuel tank leaks.

The 3D printed, pressurized leak detection cup developed by Staff Sgt. Patrick Leach decreases by up to 75% the time it takes to detect leaks in fuel tanks, the 100th Air Refueling Wing said in a statement.

The new tool has been authorized for use on KC-135 refueler aircraft at RAF Mildenhall, where it's estimated it will save $1.5 million a year in man hours.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/03/05/airmans-15-invention-could-save-air-force-millions.html

This is beyond cool.  Triple Kudos to this young man.  Hope the USAF rewards him in some way, since he probbaly signed away patent rights at enlistment.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 08:55:15 pm »
This is beyond cool.  Triple Kudos to this young man.  Hope the USAF rewards him in some way, since he probbaly signed away patent rights at enlistment.

Many years ago now a fellow I know spent a year of his free time figuring out how to cut Dow's metal handling costs in half with a revised packaging scheme.  His reward; $100.00 and two tickets for a free dinner at the Dow cafeteria.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 11:56:39 am »

One way tickets to Adak, Alaska? :silly:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 05:35:57 pm »
This story reminds of one I saw decades ago where a soldiers suggestion saved the military millions of dollars. The suggestion was to eliminate the watch pockets in the uniforms, pocket watches having been replaced by wristwatches for years.