Author Topic: USS Gerald R. Ford prepares to begin flight deck certification  (Read 201 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News 3/4/2020

USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) is poised to log major milestones this month, when Carrier Strike Group Twelve (CSG-12) assumes operational control of the first ship of the Navy’s newest class of aircraft carrier and the ship begins flight deck certification off the coast of Norfolk, Virginia.

“I appreciate the diligence and speed that are being applied by all hands to ‘Make FORD Ready,’” said Acting Secretary of Navy Thomas B. Modly. “The updates I received at last week’s Ford Summit demonstrate the commitment of our people to accelerating our progress in the right direction. To help us proceed expeditiously I look forward to bringing on the first FORD carrier strike group commander that will bring us into future operations and set the standard for the class.”

On March 2, CSG-12, under the command of Rear Adm. Michael E. Boyle, assumed operational control of Gerald R. Ford.  The Norfolk-based CSG had previously operated aboard USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72), which set a 290-day record for a carrier strike group deployment.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/03/uss-gerald-r-ford-prepares-to-begin-flight-deck-certification/