Author Topic: Justices grapple with Louisiana abortion law  (Read 761 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Justices grapple with Louisiana abortion law
« on: March 04, 2020, 05:47:30 pm »
Howe on the Court 3/4/2020

In 2016, the Supreme Court struck down a Texas law that (among other things) required doctors who perform abortions in that state to have the right to admit patients at nearby hospitals. In that case, Justice Anthony Kennedy joined the court’s four more liberal justices in concluding that the law made it harder for women to obtain abortions while not doing anything, despite the state’s argument to the contrary, to protect the health of pregnant women. Today the Supreme Court considered the constitutionality of a similar law from Louisiana. But with Kennedy now retired, the law’s fate seemed likely to hinge on the vote of Chief Justice John Roberts or perhaps Kennedy’s successor, Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

The dispute before the court this morning centered on the constitutionality of a 2014 law known as the Louisiana Unsafe Abortion Protection Act, which requires doctors who perform abortions in Louisiana to have the right to admit patients to a hospital within 30 miles of the place where the abortion is performed. In 2018, a federal appeals court rejected a challenge to the law, concluding that it did not “impose a substantial burden on a large fraction of women.”
The challengers – doctors who perform abortions and an abortion clinic – went to the Supreme Court last year, asking the justices to temporarily bar the state from enforcing the law until they could file a petition for review of the lower court’s decision. A divided court agreed to stay the lower court’s ruling, with Chief Justice John Roberts – a dissenter in the Texas case – joining the court’s four more liberal justices in voting to stay the 5th Circuit’s ruling. In April, the challengers filed their petition for review; the Supreme Court granted that petition, as well as a related petition filed by the state, in early October.

Arguing on behalf of the abortion providers, lawyer Julie Rikelman told the justices that “this case is about respect for the court’s precedent.” The Louisiana admitting-privileges requirement, Rikelman emphasized, was “expressly modeled on” the Texas law that the Supreme Court struck down in 2016 and “will do nothing for women’s health.” “Nothing has changed,” Rikelman continued, “that would justify such a legal about-face” from the court’s 2016 ruling.
Rikelman quickly faced a barrage of questions from Justice Samuel Alito regarding whether her clients had a legal right to challenge the Louisiana law at all. Should a plaintiff be able to sue to protect the rights of others, Alito asked, when there is a conflict between the plaintiff’s interests and the interests of the individuals whose rights the plaintiff seeks to protect? When Rikelman responded that a plaintiff should be able to sue when she is “directly regulated” by the law at issue, Alito was incredulous. “That’s amazing,” he told Rikelman. Rikelman pushed back, arguing that the state had waived its ability to challenge her clients’ right to sue. But more significantly, although Justices Clarence Thomas (who argued in his dissent in the Texas case that the abortion providers lacked a right to sue) and Neil Gorsuch did not ask any questions, neither Roberts nor Kavanaugh seemed to express any interest in this question, suggesting that there may not be five votes to dismiss the case on this ground.

More: http://amylhowe.com/2020/03/04/justices-grapple-with-louisiana-abortion-law/

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Justices grapple with Louisiana abortion law
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 08:11:10 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:58:38 pm »
It's not an abortion law.  It's a medical safety law.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 09:35:53 pm »
NOTE: This is the bill by the Louisiana Democrat Pro-Lifer,  KATRINA Jackson, black lady, she also spoke at the march for life on the DC national mall.

I'm still reading the story, headline of this townhall article is pretty extraordinary, I don't see where Schumer threatened the 2 judges, I am still trying to see where it says that... okay,  I see the threat listed in the tweet

Alexandra DeSanctis
✔
@xan_desanctis

Schumer: “I want to tell you Justice Kavanaugh and Justice Gorsuch: You have unleashed a whirlwind, and you will pay the price.”

Chuck Schumer Just Threatened Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch
Katie Pavlich

Today the Supreme Court is hearing arguments about a law in Louisiana that requires abortion doctors to have admitting privileges to local hospitals.

Pro-life proponents of the law, which is sponsored by Democratic Louisiana State Senator Katrina Jackson,  argue this requirement protects women with emergency medical care in case of abortion complications. Pro-abortion advocates argue the law is simply a way to make it more difficult for women seeking abortions to obtain them from providers.

This is the first abortion case since new Supreme Court Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch, both nominated by President Trump, were confirmed by the Senate.

More: https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2020/03/04/chuck-schumer-issues-a-threat-against-kavanuagh-gorsuch-you-will-pay-a-price-n2563181

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:39:18 pm by TomSea »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:56:24 pm »
It's not an abortion law.  It's a medical safety law.

:yowsa:  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 10:10:34 pm »
NOTE: This is the bill by the Louisiana Democrat Pro-Lifer,  KATRINA Jackson, black lady, she also spoke at the march for life on the DC national mall.

I'm still reading the story, headline of this townhall article is pretty extraordinary, I don't see where Schumer threatened the 2 judges, I am still trying to see where it says that... okay,  I see the threat listed in the tweet

@TomSea

https://www.nationalreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Schumer_threatens_two_justices.mp4?_=1

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 10:29:08 pm »
https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/03/04/todays-deep-question-schumer-threaten-conservative-supreme-court-justices-rally-rant/

Today’s Deep Question: Did Schumer “Threaten” Conservative Supreme Court Justices With Rally Rant? Update: Roberts Chastises Schumer

Answer: Only on a slow news day. The Supreme Court heard arguments today in a contentious abortion-restriction law in Louisiana, one of a likely string of challenges they’ll hear as states probe the new SCOTUS lineup to see how far it will go to roll back Roe and/or Casey. This gave the activists on both sides a chance to demonstrate for their cause, including Chuck Schumer, who can be seen in this video going the full Nicolas Cage to impress his audience.
Mark Meadows

@RepMarkMeadows

Did Senate Democrat leader Schumer just threaten two conservative justices? Where is the media?

“I want to tell you Justice Kavanaugh and Justice Gorsuch: You have unleashed a whirlwind, and you will pay the price”
Update: Well, it appears Chief Justice John Roberts disagrees with me about “threatening.” He is not amused:

Greg Stohr

@GregStohr

NEW: Chief Justice Roberts chastises Schumer for "threatening" statements about Kavanaugh, Gorsuch.

March 4, 2020

Statement from Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr.

This morning, Senator Schumer spoke at a rally in front of the Supreme Court while a case was being argued inside. Senator Schumer referred to two Members of the Court by name ... Justices know that criticism comes with the territory, but threatening statements of this sort from the highest levels of government are not only inappropriate, they are dangerous. All Members of the Court will continue to do their job, without fear or favor, from whatever quarter.

IMO, Chuckles needs a visit by the FBI, with the authority to arrest him.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 10:47:34 pm »
https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/03/04/todays-deep-question-schumer-threaten-conservative-supreme-court-justices-rally-rant/

Today’s Deep Question: Did Schumer “Threaten” Conservative Supreme Court Justices With Rally Rant? Update: Roberts Chastises Schumer
Update: Well, it appears Chief Justice John Roberts disagrees with me about “threatening.” He is not amused:

IMO, Chuckles needs a visit by the FBI, with the authority to arrest him.

If there was any justice left, the United States Senate would remove Senator Schumer over this but the most WE can hope for is censure and I strongly doubt we will get even that! @PeteS in CA

- J. R. R. Tolkien