Author Topic: 2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates....the hype is unwarranted when compared wi  (Read 694 times)

rangerrebew

Monday, March 2, 2020
2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates....the hype is unwarranted when compared with "The Flu"

CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2019, through February 22, 2020, there have been:
32,000,000 – 45,000,000
flu illnesses
person coughing icon
14,000,000 – 21,000,000
flu medical visits
doctor patient icon
310,000 – 560,000
flu hospitalizations
hospital room icon
18,000 – 46,000
flu deaths

*Because influenza surveillance does not capture all cases of flu that occur in the U.S., CDC provides these estimated ranges to better reflect the larger burden of influenza. These estimates are calculated based on CDC’s weekly influenza surveillance data and are preliminary.

On This Page

Limitations
    Frequently Asked Questions

This web page provides weekly, preliminary estimates of the cumulative in-season numbers of flu illnesses, medical visits, hospitalizations, and deaths in the United States. CDC does not know the exact number of people who have been sick and affected by influenza because influenza is not a reportable disease in most areas of the U.S. However, CDC has estimated the burden of flu since 2010 using a mathematical model that is based on data collected through the U.S. Influenza Surveillance System, a network that covers approximately 8.5% of the U.S. population (~27 million people).
Limitations

https://commonsensewonder.blogspot.com/2020/03/2019-2020-us-flu-season-preliminary.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 02:51:28 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline DB

That's a 0.1% death rate or one in a thousand.

If the Chinese coronavirus is 2% (1 in 50) that is 20 times worse. That's seriously worse.

That's the difference.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

If the Chinese coronavirus is 2% (1 in 50) that is 20 times worse. That's seriously worse.

That's the difference.

Please explain the 1 in 50, 2% @DB

Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 03:21:47 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline DB

Please explain the 1 in 50, 2% @DB

Thanks.

1 in 50 is 2% (1/50 = 0.02).

Offline thackney

1 in 50 is 2% (1/50 = 0.02).

Maybe a reference:

6 key coronavirus numbers you should know
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-cases-deaths-countries-symptoms-contagious

...Of people who contract the virus, 2.3 percent die overall.

That’s according to a study of more than 44,000 cases in China through February 11. That’s far more than the estimated 0.1 percent of people infected with the flu who die (though the flu has infected millions of people this season in the United States alone, so the number of flu deaths is much higher). The actual death rate for coronavirus may not be known for some time, until researchers can determine how many people were infected, but didn’t have symptoms, or had very mild symptoms and didn’t get tested....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline aligncare

One more thing about Corona deaths. If you’re lucky enough to hear or read an actual random act of journalism, you’d know that most or all of the victims had an underlying pre-existing condition, which is the same reason for death with the ordinary, seasonal flu.

So, this whole thing is nothing but plain old, seasonal, democrat, fear mongering.

Offline thackney

One more thing about Corona deaths. If you’re lucky enough to hear or read an actual random act of journalism, you’d know that most or all of the victims had an underlying pre-existing condition, which is the same reason for death with the ordinary, seasonal flu.

So, this whole thing is nothing but plain old, seasonal, democrat, fear mongering.

Yes, so unless you have say diabetes or heart disease or COPD, not much to worry about.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/what-new-phase-coronavirus-outbreak-united-states-means-you

But the virus is estimated to kill about 2 percent of people it infects, especially older people and those with other health conditions such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

But then:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/01/31/heart-disease-nearly-half-u-s-adults-have-it-study-finds/2729955002/

Nearly half of U.S. adults deal with some form of cardiovascular disease, said a new study, driven largely by changes in guidelines for classifying high blood pressure.

According to the study from the American Heart Association, 121.5 million Americans, or about 48.5 percent, dealt with heart or blood vessel disease as of 2016.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2017/p0718-diabetes-report.html

More than 100 million Americans have diabetes or prediabetes

https://www.cdc.gov/copd/index.html

COPD makes breathing difficult for the 16 million Americans who have this disease.

Offline DB

Maybe a reference:

6 key coronavirus numbers you should know
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-cases-deaths-countries-symptoms-contagious

...Of people who contract the virus, 2.3 percent die overall.

That’s according to a study of more than 44,000 cases in China through February 11. That’s far more than the estimated 0.1 percent of people infected with the flu who die (though the flu has infected millions of people this season in the United States alone, so the number of flu deaths is much higher). The actual death rate for coronavirus may not be known for some time, until researchers can determine how many people were infected, but didn’t have symptoms, or had very mild symptoms and didn’t get tested....

I had an heart attack about 7 years ago and had kidney cancer about 4 years ago.

I have a daughter that is going to college at a school that has had one official case of the Chinese cornavirus.

My 84 year old mother lives in the same house as the rest of the family.

So ya, I'm a little nervous...

Offline thackney

I had an heart attack about 7 years ago and had kidney cancer about 4 years ago.

I have a daughter that is going to college at a school that has had one official case of the Chinese cornavirus.

My 84 year old mother lives in the same house as the rest of the family.

So ya, I'm a little nervous...

Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and bad family heart history.  I had a really bad cough from before Thanksgiving until February this year.  Never had anything last that long and kept me from work several separate days.

My father-in-law is 95 with significant COPD.

Be well, be aware, be careful.

Offline DB

Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and bad family heart history.  I had a really bad cough from before Thanksgiving until February this year.  Never had anything last that long and kept me from work several separate days.

My father-in-law is 95 with significant COPD.

Be well, be aware, be careful.

Good advice. You take care too.

Offline libertybele

That's the difference.

A little different perspective; keep in mind that the flu has infected appx. 19,000,000 and rising. The coronavirus has infected appx. 92,000.  That is a significant difference.   Also, the mortality rate stats indicate Outside of Wuhan — the city at the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate in China has been much lower: about 0.7 percent. That's fewer than 1 fatality per 100 cases.

It is very frustrating and concerning; the stats continue to change and it seems no report is giving the same statistics.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/03/809904660/why-the-death-rate-from-coronavirus-is-plunging-in-china
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

A little different perspective; keep in mind that the flu has infected appx. 19,000,000 and rising. The coronavirus has infected appx. 92,000.  That is a significant difference.   Also, the mortality rate stats indicate Outside of Wuhan — the city at the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate in China has been much lower: about 0.7 percent. That's fewer than 1 fatality per 100 cases.

It is very frustrating and concerning; the stats continue to change and it seems no report is giving the same statistics.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/03/809904660/why-the-death-rate-from-coronavirus-is-plunging-in-china

The WHO just upped the fatality rate to over 3%.