Author Topic: Schools in conservative cities do better job closing black-white achievement gap: study  (Read 496 times)

rangerrebew

Schools in conservative cities do better job closing black-white achievement gap: study
February 28, 2020

Schools in conservative cities do a better job of closing the academic achievement gap between black and white students than schools in progressive cities. That is the finding of a recent study undertaken by a liberal activist, reports John Hinderaker at Powerline.

He called the report, titled “The Secret Shame: How America’s Most Progressive Cities Betray Their Commitment to Educational Opportunity For All” by Chris Stewart of Brightbeam, a “blockbuster.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/bulletin-board/black-students-perform-better-academically-in-conservative-cities-study/

rangerrebew

The Secret Shame
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 10:48:55 am »
The Secret Shame

How America’s most progressive cities betray their commitment to educational opportunity for all.
Wed Apr 15, 2020 Chris Stewart

Editor's note: The following report, titled "The Secret Shame," was issued this past January by Chris Stewart, the CEO of brightbeam, a nonprofit network of education activists. Contrary to what progressive educators and politicians would like to believe, the report concludes that students in America’s most progressive cities face greater racial inequity in achievement and graduation rates than students living in the nation’s most conservative cities. Check out this important report below:

Introduction by author Chris Stewart:

For many years my home state of Minnesota has faced a bewildering conundrum. We are a state that enjoys a laudable standard of living, abundant natural resources, a strong economy, Fortune 500 companies that take corporate responsibility seriously, a clean civic system, and a host of public services that make being a Minnesotan a source of pride. At the same time, we constantly face a persistent challenge to our status as a progressive exemplar: Our public schools, unlike our other systems, do not work equally well for everyone. Educational outcomes for students of color and American Indians are among the worst in the nation. It is a strong departure from how we think of ourselves, and one we haven’t confronted adequately.

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/2020/04/secret-shame-frontpagemagcom/

Offline goatprairie

Re: The Secret Shame
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 01:45:56 pm »
That's another myth conservatives love to believe...bad schools cause poor performance by minorities.
People should read Robert Weissberg's "Bad Students, Not Bad Schools" to get the facts.
Asian students outperform white students every year. Why is there no concern about that?
The truth is a student and his or her family's attitude towards academic success  is far more important to that student's success than teachers and school admins.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:47:57 pm by goatprairie »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 01:53:12 pm »
That's another myth conservatives love to believe...bad schools cause poor performance by minorities.
People should read Robert Weissberg's "Bad Students, Not Bad Schools" to get the facts.
Asian students outperform white students every year. Why is there no concern about that?
The truth is a student and his or her family's attitude towards academic success  is far more important to that student's success than teachers and school admins.

Agree, except it seems progressives are the ones who believe bad schools = bad students. It's why they believe the problem can be solved by more money.

Every conservative I've ever met knows its the parents who make the difference. They may be inclined to put their kids in private schools, as I did, but I did it because I didn't want my kids programmed by the state.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:55:00 pm by skeeter »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 04:31:07 pm »
Agree, except it seems progressives are the ones who believe bad schools = bad students. It's why they believe the problem can be solved by more money.

Every conservative I've ever met knows its the parents who make the difference. They may be inclined to put their kids in private schools, as I did, but I did it because I didn't want my kids programmed by the state.
If you listen to clucks like Hannity and some others, they've spouted the nonsense about awful schools causing poor minority academic performance.
Yes, there are bad schools. But it's mostly the students and their families that make them bad.
I wish they could put cameras in the classrooms of many, mostly black public schoosl. It would be most enlightening to see what goes on in those classrooms.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 04:55:52 pm »

When I went to school, we did our math the same way our parents had done theirs.
The history books were not rewritten since the Depression (bad enough), so that was consistent.
There wasn't a new group of oppressed or perverted to learn about so we didn't offend them and gave them their "proper place" in history. There was consistency in our culture, warts and all.

Now there is a fluid course of genders and behaviours and racial divisions which must be accommodated to not exclude anyone nor give offense, and to smooth over entire horrors of History still being perpetrated so we don't offend those who have declared war, in one form or another against our country.

At least in WWII, in Korea and the Cold War, in Vietnam, we knew who the enemy was, and they have been increasingly teaching our children things that simply are not so..
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 05:25:54 pm »
When I went to school, we did our math the same way our parents had done theirs.
The history books were not rewritten since the Depression (bad enough), so that was consistent.
There wasn't a new group of oppressed or perverted to learn about so we didn't offend them and gave them their "proper place" in history. There was consistency in our culture, warts and all.

Now there is a fluid course of genders and behaviours and racial divisions which must be accommodated to not exclude anyone nor give offense, and to smooth over entire horrors of History still being perpetrated so we don't offend those who have declared war, in one form or another against our country.

At least in WWII, in Korea and the Cold War, in Vietnam, we knew who the enemy was, and they have been increasingly teaching our children things that simply are not so..
True, but much of the dumbed down curriculum has been forced on schools by lib parents and so-called elite members of certain ethnicities.
But as you cited the math you were taught as the same as it was taught to your parents, there is basically only one good way to teach it.
By the fourth grade (or earlier), most people in academia know how  students of particular ethnicities are performing differently from other students.
Whether it's taught the traditional way, like you and I were taught, or some other strange way, the students receiving the instruction learn by their own ways.
If all the students in a classroom that is experiencing diversity, all those students are receiving the same  instruction from the teacher.
Some students process that info better than others
The only reason some people i.e. liberals are screaming and shouting about poor schools is because minorities (other than east Asians) tend to do much more poorly than whites. In other words, they're not processing the instruction they're receiving as well as white students.
I haven't been in a classroom for many, many decades, and the high school I went to was a parochial school.
But I would bet the way they teach math to grade school students 1-4 now is probably not much different than when I was in those grades sixty plus years ago.
Looking back, I've got a lot of criticisms of those schools I attended.
But the reason I wasn't a great student wasn't because of the faults of those schools.
Yours truly's predilection for playing sports and watching tv when  I should have been studying played a far bigger role in my mediocre grades than what I was taught by my teachers and the school admin.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:27:51 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 05:34:04 pm »
True, but much of the dumbed down curriculum has been forced on schools by lib parents and so-called elite members of certain ethnicities.
But as you cited the math you were taught as the same as it was taught to your parents, there is basically only one good way to teach it.
By the fourth grade (or earlier), most people in academia know how  students of particular ethnicities are performing differently from other students.
Whether it's taught the traditional way, like you and I were taught, or some other strange way, the students receiving the instruction learn by their own ways.
If all the students in a classroom that is experiencing diversity, all those students are receiving the same  instruction from the teacher.
Some students process that info better than others
The only reason some people i.e. liberals are screaming and shouting about poor schools is because minorities (other than east Asians) tend to do much more poorly than whites. In other words, they're not processing the instruction they're receiving as well as white students.
I haven't been in a classroom for many, many decades, and the high school I went to was a parochial school.
But I would bet the way they teach math to grade school students 1-4 now is probably not much different than when I was in those grades sixty plus years ago.
Looking back, I've got a lot of criticisms of those schools I attended.
But the reason I wasn't a great student wasn't because of the faults of those schools.
Yours truly's predilection for playing sports and watching tv when  I should have been studying played a far bigger role in my mediocre grades than what I was taught by my teachers and the school admin.
Sure, a lot goes back on the student. If you aren't interested in learning, you won't, if you really want to, nothing can stop you, especially nowadays.

The unfortunate part is that by late Elementary/Middle School, the correct methods to obtain answers have been gamed with to the point that the parent can't figure out what the student is doing, nor what the teacher wants. The problem is compounded by the absence of hard copy graded work sheets, quizzes, or even instructional material which can be accessed so the parent can figure it out. IOW, the parent is either all in, and homeschooling, or locked out. If the teacher doesn't like the kid, for whatever reason, they won't get help, either, most of the time.

This isn't some mystic occult members only society, it's multiplication, division, decimals, fractions, and the like--fundamental arithmetic.

I won't even go into the social programming or sex ed the kids aren't supposed to tell their parents about.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:35:20 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline MOD3

@rangerrebew, threads merged. There are, now, two threads about this same research report. That is sufficient.