Author Topic: Washington state confirms 2nd U.S. coronavirus death; New York reports first case  (Read 844 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/washington-state-confirms-2nd-u-s-coronavirus-death-new-york-reports-first-case

Health officials in Washington state said on Sunday a second person infected with the coronavirus had died there, while New York’s governor said his state confirmed its first case of the illness.

The Washington death was in the Seattle area and was reported on the website of the Seattle and King County public health department. On Saturday, the same officials reported the first death from coronavirus in the United States.

New York state confirmed its first positive coronavirus test, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Sunday night. He wrote on Twitter that a woman in her 30s contracted coronavirus during a recent trip to Iran and was in quarantine in her home. He did not say where the woman lived, but the New York Times, citing unnamed state officials, said the woman was in New York City.

more at link.

I wonder if the dead guys' family think the media is getting hysterical?

Offline DB

I doubt there's any containing it now.

If 5% of the population gets this then about 400,000 will die if the 2% fatality rate holds true.

5% seems pretty optimistic.

Another issue is if the healthcare system gets seriously overloaded. The fatality rate will go up because there will be shortage of care. So the slower this rolls out the better.

This is in addition to the annual flu deaths. This isn't the apocalypse but it isn't a minor thing either. It is likely to have a pretty significant impact on a lot peoples lives.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

If 5% of the population gets this then about 400,000 will die if the 2% fatality rate holds true.

Another issue is if the healthcare system gets seriously overloaded. The fatality rate will go up because there will be shortage of care. So the slower this rolls out the better.

This is in addition to the annual flu deaths. This isn't the apocalypse but it isn't a minor thing either. It is likely to have a pretty significant impact on a lot peoples lives.
The people most affected by this will likely be homeless and illegals. Homeless have none or very little access to any kind of sanitation. The "wash your hands" meme doesn't really apply to them. How? Where?

Illegals tend to live in dense family groups or work groups, with a large number of people in a single dwelling. Also, they never take off from work.

These people are not only more likely to contract it, but they are also more likely to spread it, especially in the cities.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

The people most affected by this will likely be homeless and illegals. Homeless have none or very little access to any kind of sanitation. The "wash your hands" meme doesn't really apply to them. How? Where?

Illegals tend to live in dense family groups or work groups, with a large number of people in a single dwelling. Also, they never take off from work.

These people are not only more likely to contract it, but they are also more likely to spread it, especially in the cities.

I agree.  It will all be a factor.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I don't know... about who gets it, I'm thinking stay away from places with a lot of people around, buses because if the ships were a problem, I think buses will be, germs get around gyms.  Libraries, malls.  Even stores. We will see how this goes.

Offline TomSea

But I do think,  a strong immune system should generally, keep it at bay. Those with weaker immune systems like the elderly need to be more careful.

Restaurants, fast food restaurants.  More to be careful of.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 05:07:14 am by TomSea »

Offline DB

But I do think,  a strong immune system should generally, keep it at bay. Those with weaker immune systems like the elderly need to be more careful.

There are elderly people who live with younger family that have kids that go to school.

That's a really difficult situation. Virtually impossible to avoid exposure.

But I do think, strong immune system should generally, keep it at bay. Those with weaker immune systems like the elderly need to be more careful.

The GOP should invest in early voting campaigns Now.  "Don't let Bernie embarrass our President when you're gone.  Vote today!"

Offline TomSea

The GOP should invest in early voting campaigns Now.  "Don't let Bernie embarrass our President when you're gone.  Vote today!"

Just saying the way it is, I suppose children don't have as strong of a system either.

Better than with what you agree with, illegal aliens and the homeless. No where has reported them as being particular vulnerable.

Remember, in world news, we have a 30 page thread on the virus, so a lot of us know the dangers fairly well.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 05:18:10 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

This is true, we can't trust China's figures but South Korea seems to be now, having a problem. We can watch with what happens to them.

They are starting to post deaths per country. The next time, I see it, I will post it. I'm not sure what SK is.

Offline TomSea

In fact, here we go, deaths by country and I'd largely write-off China's number. Credible enough sources seem to say there are many more deaths in China but per table:

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Deaths:
China, 2,912

South Korea  26

Italy 34

Diamond Princess 6

Iran 54

Japan 6

Hong Kong 2

Singapore 0

You get the idea, check the link. Also, that sect or church in South Korea surely makes the SK figures a bit deceptive, it hit the church hard... the general population, well, that is a bit different.

See more in the coronavirus thread in world news, 31 pages and counting.

Better than with what you agree with, illegal aliens and the homeless. No where has reported them as being particular vulnerable.

Remember, in world news, we have a 30 page thread on the virus, so a lot of us know the dangers fairly well.

@TomSea I do not agree with illegal aliens or homelessness.  Nor am I looking to fight a Briefer I have so much respect for.  Whatever animosity you read into what I thought was a clearly humorous, and cynical post is not intentional directed at you.  Perhaps I need some sleep to clear my head, but be assured I am thakful for your posts here.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
if the 2% fatality rate holds true.

I highly doubt it will. It's a new virus. We're going to find ways to mitigate its impact as time goes on.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Applewood

Well, folks, I'm not going to stay at home curled up in a ball in the corner out of fear of this virus.  We've had some cold weather the last few days which forced me to stay home, but today, it's in the 50s and sunny; so I'm going out...in public...no surgical mask either.

I refuse to live in fear because of this virus.  So long as we practice good hygiene and heed all the usual advice the experts give us about keeping the flu at bay, I think most of us will be all right. 

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
I refuse to live in fear because of this virus.

We all play the death lottery every day, and sooner or later we all hit the big one. Good on you for overcoming your anxiety about it. Chances are very, very good that you're going to be fine.  happy77
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline kidd

That's an awful, hateful thing to write. On several levels.
Especially after your second post in this thread pointed out how individuals are impacted by this virus, implying that we shouldn't politicize this.
Awful.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:29:27 pm by kidd »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

That's an awful, hateful thing to write. On several levels.
Especially after your second post in this thread pointed out how individuals are impacted by this virus, implying that we shouldn't politicize this.
Awful.

Thanx for your reply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Washington state confirms 4 more coronavirus deaths, bringing US death toll to 6
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/485524-washington-state-confirms-4-more-coronavirus-deaths-bringing-us-death-toll
From article

Of the six deaths, four had been residents of a nursing home, illustrating the danger the disease poses to the elderly and those who have underlying health conditions.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington