Author Topic: South Carolina Democratic Primary, Feb. 29, 2020, Saturday  (Read 1334 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
South Carolina Democratic Primary, Feb. 29, 2020, Saturday
« on: February 29, 2020, 04:33:10 pm »
South Carolina Presidential Democratic Primary, February 29th, Saturday
Polls open for South Carolina Democratic primary; 54 delegates at stake

Feb. 29 (UPI) -- South Carolina voters headed to the polls Saturday morning for the Democratic primary, which, with 54 delegates up for grabs, promises the biggest haul of the season so far.

The polls opened at 7 a.m. and will close at 7 p.m. Anyone in line by 7 p.m. will be allowed to vote, but no new voters will be allowed to join the line after that time.

South Carolina voters do not have to be a registered member of a party to participate in the presidential primary, which is open to all registered voters. The state political parties use the result of the primary to assign state delegates to the national party convention, where delegates from all participating states choose the party's nominee, who will go on the General Election ballot in November.

Read more at: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020/02/29/Polls-open-for-South-Carolina-Democratic-primary-54-delegates-at-stake/4191582986178/

South Carolina Closing Poll Stations Without Notice
The biggest county in the state, Greenville, will close 52 precincts.
by Brittany Gibson
February 28, 2020

This story was supported by the Pulitzer Center.

CHARLESTON, S.C. — The “First in the South” Democratic primary will not have all of its precinct voting locations open on February 29. Despite the fact that South Carolina has an open primary and any registered voter can participate, the biggest county in the state has closed one-third of its polling locations.

Greenville County closed down 52 precincts; most of those precincts will be consolidated and some will be shifted into temporary locations, but instead of 151 polling locations, Greenville County will have only 118. Across the state, 131 precinct polling places will be relocated.

Consolidating polling stations is a regular occurrence in South Carolina, and Greenville has already planned to do it for the first four elections of this year. “We did that for January 7th, for January 21st, we did it for tomorrow’s election on the 29th and for a sheriff’s election on March 10,” County Executive Conway Belangia told the Prospect. “All of those [elections] being countywide.”

More at: https://prospect.org/politics/south-carolina-closing-poll-stations-without-notice/?fbclid=IwAR03ISFHkPJhg9hp-8rS-Anwv2duzGUAOmzTiq5VVnWf66f4K_F97sgqwx8

Trump suggests his supporters vote in another Democratic primary, this time in South Carolina
By Betsy Klein, CNN

North Charleston, South Carolina (CNN)President Donald Trump suggested his supporters in South Carolina cast their primary ballots for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders during his rally Friday, the second straight Democratic primary in which he's suggested his supporters get involved.

"By the way, the Republicans allowed to vote in the -- are you ready?" he said to cheers from a crowd of supporters at a rally in North Charleston, South Carolina.

"Are you ready? Let's do it together," Trump said, going on to say that he "(assumed) this is OK from a campaign finance standpoint."

More at: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/28/politics/trump-south-carolina-rally-democratic-primary/index.html

There can be no benefit to having an open-primary. No state should unless, they want the other party to have a say.

Is this why Lindsay Graham represents SC?  Then, on the other hand, maybe it helped elect someone like Rick Scott, that's TIM Scott I mean.

:pondering:

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:47:06 pm by TomSea »

Offline EdinVA

Re: South Carolina Democratic Primary, Feb. 29, 2020, Saturday
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 04:45:33 pm »
South Carolina Presidential Democratic Primary, February 29th, Saturday
There can be no benefit to having an open-primary. No state should unless, they want the other party to have a say.

Is this why Lindsay Graham represents SC?  Then, on the other hand, maybe it helped elect someone like Rick Scott.

:pondering:

The parties run the primaries and each party sets their own rules, open or closed.
If the party wants a candidate that can draw from more than their party then they need open primaries otherwise they will end up with a losing candidate.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 06:44:33 pm »
Decision Desk HQ has had the quickest tallies so far in the last 3 contests.

Heavy.com carries them as well.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 08:51:26 pm »
Ok,

Decision Desk HQ:  https://decisiondeskhq.com/

NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/south-carolina-primary-02-29

So, if polls close early, maybe there's a chance, we get the news of who won early.

Someone out in California said he did see some Bloomberg signs out there.   So, we will see if the big primaries could real heat things up.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 09:33:01 pm »
South Caronlina's "official" results page if you are intersted..
http://www.enr-scvotes.org/SC/100517/Web02-state.240634/#/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 11:13:03 pm »
Polls close at 7pm EST, a bit under an hour as of this post.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 12:25:56 am »
So far Politico and USA Today have the hot hand in results:

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/south-carolina/

https://www.usatoday.com/elections/results/primaries/democratic/south-carolina/

Joe Biden
52.5%

Bernie Sanders
18.0%

Tom Steyer
12.4%

Pete Buttigieg
7.0%

Elizabeth Warren
5.1%

1.37% of precincts reporting (31 / 2,261)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 12:27:27 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 01:27:04 am »
Gonna say this one's over:

Joe Biden
52.1%

Bernie Sanders
17.3%

Tom Steyer
11.1%

Pete Buttigieg
7.8%

Elizabeth Warren
6.8%

14.55% of precincts reporting (329 / 2,261)
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 02:43:53 am »
Maybe we've hit Peak Bernie?  Joe needs to follow up with wins in several states on Tuesday. 

Offline EdinVA

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 03:23:47 am »
So, the game begins... where do both of steyers voters go... lol

LOL  I don't know -- to Bloomberg maybe? 

Actually, I will say this about Steyer -- he ran a few campaign ads where I live and they were at least tolerable.  On the other hand, every time one of Bloomberg's ads comes on, I want to hurl the tv set out the window.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2020, 03:32:46 am »
Maybe we've hit Peak Bernie?  Joe needs to follow up with wins in several states on Tuesday.

Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia???
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 04:43:28 am »

Bernie will win California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts (embarrassing pocahantas), Minnesota, Texas, Vermont and Virginia. He will finish second everywhere else. After that the only hope for establishment Dems will be a brokered convention.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 07:31:33 am »
Bernie will win California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts (embarrassing pocahantas), Minnesota, Texas, Vermont and Virginia. He will finish second everywhere else. After that the only hope for establishment Dems will be a brokered convention.
So do you feeel that Trump can defeat Bernie?

Can defeat Biden?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 11:55:34 am »

Can defeat Biden?

I think turn out is the key.  In Virginia, we only had about 40% registered voters get to the polls, that is how the dems took control of the state and also went to hillary.  Hoping that people are mad enough now to get off their butts and go vote this time.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 12:38:55 pm »
I believe Biden will take Pennsylvania.  In this state the large cities rule.  Most of the Democrats are concentrated in big cities.  Plus the cities are largely ruled by unions.  The unions love Biden and Democrats here will vote for the guy the unions support. 

There is a large contingent of Bernie supporters and maybe quite a few Buttigieg supporters among the perverts.  But I was talking last week with a Bernie supporter -- she voted for him in then primaries in 2016 and wrote him in in the general.  I said, I assume you are voting for Bernie again this time.  She said she didn't know, but she was leaning toward voting for Biden only because she thought he would have the best chance of beating Trump in November.  So that makes me wonder how many Democrats will give up the candidate they like and vote for Biden.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 01:45:32 pm »
Congrats, Mr Vice President. However the real hard work will be on Tuesday. Time to separate the wheat from the chaff. Let’s see how you do on Super Tuesday and then we will talk.

We already had one drop out last night. Let’s see how it plays out on Tuesday. That reminds me. I need to buy  :2popcorn:

Tuesday will make or break the candidates I think.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 02:57:27 pm »

Can defeat Biden?

Trump CAN defeat either of them.  There are just too many variables between now and November to predict whether he WILL or not.  If Trump does not defeat Bernie Sanders then the country is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2020, 03:08:10 pm »
So, Biteme won his first Primary! 333cleo 333cleo 333cleo 333cleo
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mortarman

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 11:24:48 pm »
It don't matter who wins these primaries, 'cuz  the nomination is already rigged so that there no one will go to Milwaukee with enough delegates to win on the first ballot, even with all the Super-Duper Delegates. Then the way will be cleared for the party leadership to draft the Pantsuit Assassin as they have planned all along. Because she's ENTITLED .

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2020, 11:31:16 pm »
Mayor Pete just dropped out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 11:41:48 pm »
Mayor Pete just dropped out.

Seriously???

That’s great news!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.