Author Topic: Women in special operations is nothing new  (Read 231 times)

rangerrebew

Women in special operations is nothing new
« on: February 29, 2020, 12:51:23 pm »
Joe Kent

The recent New York Times story that the first female is set to pass the Special Forces Qualification Course has reignited the heated debate over the role of women in special operations. For the Special Forces Regiment, commonly referred to as “Green Berets,” this means not only has a female earned the right to wear the beret and tab, but she will be employed in an operational role once she arrives at her Special Forces Group.

A female Green Beret showing up at Special Forces Group for assignment to Operational Detachment Alpha (ODA or A team) will be groundbreaking for the regiment. Everything that she has done so far in SF is groundbreaking, that is until she deploys to combat. In combat she will join the silent sisterhood of women who have fought and died alongside their brothers in arms throughout our nation’s longest war.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2020/02/28/women-in-special-operations-is-nothing-new/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Women in special operations is nothing new
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 04:04:33 pm »
Joe Kent

The recent New York Times story that the first female is set to pass the Special Forces Qualification Course has reignited the heated debate over the role of women in special operations. For the Special Forces Regiment, commonly referred to as “Green Berets,” this means not only has a female earned the right to wear the beret and tab, but she will be employed in an operational role once she arrives at her Special Forces Group.

A female Green Beret showing up at Special Forces Group for assignment to Operational Detachment Alpha (ODA or A team) will be groundbreaking for the regiment. Everything that she has done so far in SF is groundbreaking, that is until she deploys to combat. In combat she will join the silent sisterhood of women who have fought and died alongside their brothers in arms throughout our nation’s longest war.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2020/02/28/women-in-special-operations-is-nothing-new/

@rangerrebew

A total crock of crap,and everybody that has been deployed with an operational team knows it. My rucksack,web gear,and weapons weighed more than most women,and I had to be able to run uphill with it,and carry it all for a week or more at a time on operations,without ever taking any of it off.

I was also expected to be able to throw any wounded member of my team up on my back and run with them in addition so my web gear. I doubt there is 1 woman in a thousand that can do that.

Women DO have VERY important roles they can play in covert operations not involving automatic weapons and rucksacks,though. This doesn't mean they should be on an A team or a recon team,though.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!