Author Topic: Here's a Devastating, Little-Known Story About Bernie Sanders. Why Haven't His Rivals Exploited It?  (Read 369 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Here's a Devastating, Little-Known Story About Bernie Sanders. Why Haven't His Rivals Exploited It?
Guy Benson

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 1:30 PM

As someone who follows politics quite closely, I'm often fascinated when a potent piece of opposition research against a major candidate for office percolates below the radar for years, yet never quite breaks through.  Have you ever heard of 'Sierra Blanca,' as it relates to Bernie Sanders?  Neither had I.  Neither had hardly any voters, I'd wager.  Well, expect that to change, sooner or later.  Tim Miller, a hardcore anti-Trump conservative, is adamantly opposed to Democrats nominating Sanders.  He's written a piece outlining a somewhat obscure episode that he anticipates would be used as a powerful cudgel to clobber Bernie in a general election.  Out of pure curiosity, I clicked the link in one of his tweets, and...wow:

1) In 1998, then-Rep. Sanders cosponsored a bill that would allow Vermont and Maine to dump their nuclear waste in a poor and largely Latino town in Texas called Sierra Blanca.

(2) A Texas Observer article in 1998 covered protestors from Sierra Blanca confronting Rep. Sanders and being given the stiff arm. The story’s headline was “Sanders to Sierra Blanca: Drop Dead.” Sanders even rebuffed an offer to visit Sierra Blanca, telling its residents, “Absolutely not. I’m gonna be running for re-election in the state of Vermont.”

(3) Liberal hero Paul Wellstone—an actual progressive Democrat—gave a speech on the Senate floor calling this dump “environmental racism.” Former Texas Democratic Rep. Silvestre Reyes called Sanders actions “insanely callous.”

(4) After Congress approved the proposal, environmental regulators rejected the Sierra Blanca site. But a different site in Andrews County, Texas gained approval a few years later and Vermont/Texas maintain an interstate waste agreement.

(5) In 2016, Sanders’ tax returns revealed that as of 2014 Jane Sanders was still drawing a small salary as an alternate commissioner for the Texas Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Compact Commission as part of the agreement with Vermont that her husband pushed.

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2020/02/27/heres-a-devastating-story-about-bernie-sanders-why-havent-his-rivals-exploited-it-n2562002?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=02/28/2020&bcid=97dc8fe5a9df89459253d395805be70e&recip=19803445
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline conservativevoter

And what did Jane Sanders do with the money that came from Bennington College?  How many of those attending missed out on a college education because of her greed? :cool: