Author Topic: Americans should prepare for coronavirus spread in U.S., CDC says  (Read 1510 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Americans should prepare for coronavirus spread in U.S., CDC says

“It’s not so much a question of if this will happen any more, but rather more a question of exactly when," one official said.

Feb. 25, 2020, 11:57 AM CST
By Erika Edwards

Top U.S. public health officials said Tuesday that Americans should prepare for the spread of the coronavirus in communities across the country.

“It’s not so much a question of if this will happen any more, but rather more a question of exactly when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illness,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the head of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said during a media briefing Tuesday.

Measures to contain the virus in the U.S. so far have involved restricting travel to and from China — the center of the outbreak — and isolating cases identified so far in this country.

But Messonnier said that evidence that the virus is spreading in other countries, such as Iran and Italy, has raised CDC’s “level of concern and expectation that we’ll see spread” in the U.S.

She added that Americans need to prepare for disruptions to their daily lives, including school closings, working from home and delayed elective medical procedures, as efforts to contain and control the possible spread in the U.S. may accelerate in the coming weeks.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/americans-should-prepare-coronavirus-spread-u-s-cdc-says-n1142556
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Americans should prepare for coronavirus spread in U.S., CDC says
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:30:19 pm »
It sounds like Italy has been hit so really, that means, a whole lot of places can be hit, almost anywhere.

And Iran? How did so much of it get there? Yes, we need to take major precautions.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:01:05 pm »
Top health official warns coronavirus spread appears inevitable in US
By Nathaniel Weixel - 02/25/20 12:28 PM EST

A top U.S. health official said Tuesday the spread of coronavirus in the country appears to be inevitable, while warning that the disruptions could be “severe.”

Nancy Messonnier, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters the agency expects to see more cases in the U.S.

"As more and more countries experience community spread, successful containment at our borders becomes harder and harder,” Messonnier said.
ADVERTISEMENT

She said two out of the three requirements for a “pandemic of new disease” have been met, and businesses and families should begin to prepare for a larger outbreak in the U.S.

“It’s not a question of if this will happen but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses," she said. “Disruption to everyday life might be severe."

The warning from CDC marks a dramatic escalation in tone from recent weeks, as the disease continues to spread around the world, hitting U.S. trading partners like South Korea and Italy.

“The data over the last week and spread in other countries has certainly raised our level of concern, and raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here, so that has changed our tone,” Messonnier said.

Messonnier added that she had spoken to her children about the virus Tuesday morning.

“While I didn’t think they were at risk right now, we as a family ought to be preparing for significant disruption to our lives,” she said.
ADVERTISEMENT

More than 77,000 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in China, where the virus was first detected.

There have been more than 2,000 cases identified in other countries, including 57 in the U.S. That includes 40 people who had been repatriated to the country from the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

CDC Director Robert Redfield aimed to reassure the public that his agency is taking the necessary steps to mitigate the spread of the virus.

“The immediate risk from novel coronavirus remains low for the U.S. public at this time,” Redfield tweeted on Tuesday. “CDC is taking aggressive action to reduce the impact of this virus on the US. #COVID19 is a very serious public health threat and requires everyone’s cooperation.”

Meanwhile, there is growing concern on Capitol Hill about how the Trump administration is responding to the outbreak. Administration officials on Tuesday were pressed by lawmakers from both sides of the aisle.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/484530-top-health-official-warns-coronavirus-spread-in-us-inevitable-its-not-a
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:05:06 pm »
... and the media is already blaming Trump for the inevitable.

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Trump should get out in front of this and address the country. PR will be key.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:06:12 pm by skeeter »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:38:49 pm »
... and the media is already blaming Trump for the inevitable.

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Trump should get out in front of this and address the country. PR will be key.

Chances are that he will do as well as can be expected.

It is a big, complex topic.

Medicine, public health, media, politics, dealings with China and others, etc. .

You can expect the dems and the media, to hope they can use this to damage him for November.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 10:55:13 pm »
TomSea observes:
"And Iran? How did so much of it get there? Yes, we need to take major precautions."

I guess I'm dumb, but how about sealing the USA borders as step #1 ...?

No one comes in except for citizens from abroad -- who will be tested and quarantined if necessary.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 11:55:45 pm »
Does anyone here know that Dr. Nancy Mesonnier is the sister of one Rod Rosenstein? 

That's what I thought!

https://twitter.com/TheLastRefuge2/status/1232446134863269889
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 12:00:04 am »
Does anyone here know that Dr. Nancy Mesonnier is the sister of one Rod Rosenstein? 

That's what I thought!

https://twitter.com/TheLastRefuge2/status/1232446134863269889

Ok, but what bearing does that have on what she said today and her work at the CDC?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 12:11:53 am »
Ok, but what bearing does that have on what she said today and her work at the CDC?

It is markedly different from what the Trump administration is reporting for starters.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 12:17:43 am »
It is markedly different from what the Trump administration is reporting for starters.

Ok, I'm about as lost as Joe Biden.  What did the Trump administration say that was different?  About the virus?  Or about the doctor's relationship with Rosenstein? 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 12:19:33 am »
Chances are that he will do as well as can be expected.

It is a big, complex topic.

Medicine, public health, media, politics, dealings with China and others, etc. .

You can expect the dems and the media, to hope they can use this to damage him for November.

I believe he is doing everything reasonably possible at this point. He needs to inform the public about it.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 12:23:25 am »
Ok, I'm about as lost as Joe Biden.  What did the Trump administration say that was different?  About the virus?  Or about the doctor's relationship with Rosenstein?

They are saying that it is currently contained and that no one needs to panic.  Now do your own research.

The left is going to do their best to make this Trump's Katrina and the truth be damned!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 12:31:18 am »
I believe he is doing everything reasonably possible at this point. He needs to inform the public about it.
@Applewood

Trump seems to think we have little to worry about. And has praised the Chinese for their efforts at containment. On the other hand he throws a fit because of people being flown into the United States, sick with the virus, without his permission.

This thing is FAR from contained. The Iranian Minister of Health was onstage at a presser, visibly sick with the virus.

People in an increasing number of countries are being put into quarantine.

AFAIK this genie is out of the bottle. Putting it back is impossible. There is no cure. There is no vaccine.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 12:33:32 am »
They are saying that it is currently contained and that no one needs to panic.  Now do your own research.

The left is going to do their best to make this Trump's Katrina and the truth be damned!

Thank you for clarifying your previous reply.  I didn't understand what you were saying.

Honestly though I have to go with what the CDC is saying.  The virus has just started here.  I don't think anyone can call it contained yet. 

And while the Democrats, their allies in the media and so many others might try to pin this on Trump, I don't think it's going to work.  I said elsewhere I blame Trump for a lot of things, but this isn't one of them.  The administration, health departments, medical facilities are doing the best they can.  No one can really be prepared for this. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 12:34:11 am »
Another report said that 650 million Chinese are under some form of travel restriction.

I have no way to verify that. Or know the number of people already under some form of travel restriction before the virus.

But there it is.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 12:36:24 am »
@Applewood

Trump seems to think we have little to worry about. And has praised the Chinese for their efforts at containment. On the other hand he throws a fit because of people being flown into the United States, sick with the virus, without his permission.

This thing is FAR from contained. The Iranian Minister of Health was onstage at a presser, visibly sick with the virus.

People in an increasing number of countries are being put into quarantine.

AFAIK this genie is out of the bottle. Putting it back is impossible. There is no cure. There is no vaccine.

Thanks @bigheadfred   By the way, I think I saw on local news that a vaccine has been developed and is going to be tried out. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 12:40:11 am »
Thanks @bigheadfred   By the way, I think I saw on local news that a vaccine has been developed and is going to be tried out.

What is the timeline for human trials? One month? 2? 3?

This is a SARS type virus. They have been studying that for about 20 years with no reported cure or vaccine, and now they suddenly have one? Not holding my breath.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 12:46:46 am »
What is the timeline for human trials? One month? 2? 3?

This is a SARS type virus. They have been studying that for about 20 years with no reported cure or vaccine, and now they suddenly have one? Not holding my breath.

Going to start the trials  in 6 weeks according to this CNBC report:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/us-health-officials-say-human-trials-on-coronavirus-vaccine-to-start-in-6-weeks.html

And even if the trials are successful, it will still take a long time for the vaccine to hit the market.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:47:54 am by Applewood »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 12:52:32 am »
Going to start the trials  in 6 weeks according to this CNBC report:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/us-health-officials-say-human-trials-on-coronavirus-vaccine-to-start-in-6-weeks.html

And even if the trials are successful, it will still take a long time for the vaccine to hit the market.

The news out of South Korea, Italy, and Iran isn't good. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big jump in global cases soon.

Online libertybele

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 01:00:13 am »
Well, let's see here ... another reason yet I am suspicious of this virus being designed to take down the economy to oust Trump.  Rod Rosenstein's sister works for the CDC!!!  To boot -- she is director for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC.

He has one sister, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.[18][19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Rosenstein
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 01:16:36 am »
Well, let's see here ... another reason yet I am suspicious of this virus being designed to take down the economy to oust Trump. Rod Rosenstein's sister works for the CDC!!!  To boot -- she is director for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC.

He has one sister, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.[18][19]

Trump's reaction is the key. I completely disagree that this was designed to take down the economy to oust Trump.

That being said I do believe there will be  (and probably already are) efforts by evil people in this country to do just that. I don't trust the CDC. I don't trust WHO.

One thing about it. No one is immune from this virus. It may wipe out as many manipulators as innocent bystanders.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 07:56:52 am »
Well, let's see here ... another reason yet I am suspicious of this virus being designed to take down the economy to oust Trump.  Rod Rosenstein's sister works for the CDC!!!  To boot -- she is director for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC.

With State Dept flunkies defying the POTUS' orders, what could possibly go wrong?

Even if there isn't a problem, the panic has a way of creating one.

This "the virus is inevitable" stance by the CDC (missing only "May God have mercy on your souls") is all that is needed to starve the on-time inventory system in most stores, which can create what appear to be shortages, to be pointed to in order to generate more panic.

Yes, the disease has the potential to be a serious problem. We don't have clear mortality rates, not even hospitalization rates. It's what we don't know that can be used to generate fear in the public psyche. The usual suspects (bureaucrats and the MSM) will use that fear against the current administration in another desperate attempt to keep the swamp going.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 09:21:13 pm »
With State Dept flunkies defying the POTUS' orders, what could possibly go wrong?

Even if there isn't a problem, the panic has a way of creating one.

This "the virus is inevitable" stance by the CDC (missing only "May God have mercy on your souls") is all that is needed to starve the on-time inventory system in most stores, which can create what appear to be shortages, to be pointed to in order to generate more panic.

Yes, the disease has the potential to be a serious problem. We don't have clear mortality rates, not even hospitalization rates. It's what we don't know that can be used to generate fear in the public psyche. The usual suspects (bureaucrats and the MSM) will use that fear against the current administration in another desperate attempt to keep the swamp going.

@Smokin Joe ...you must be a mind reader. Those are my thoughts as well. Panic is a horrible thing.

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 09:46:07 pm »

So, you think she has a Vendetta?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrfm7y5nL30&
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline skeeter

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 10:18:51 pm »

@Smokin Joe ...you must be a mind reader. Those are my thoughts as well. Panic is a horrible thing.
IMO the disease is already here. There was nothing that could've been done to prevent it. We've only been testing travelers from China but the infected now includes numerous other countries who haven't been embargoed.

Rats are still given confidential briefings and this is why they've suddenly began loudly (& dishonestly) criticizing Trump's performance in containing its spread. They already know.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:21:33 pm by skeeter »