Author Topic: Carolina Hurricanes turn to Zamboni driver as emergency goalie in win over Maple Leafs  (Read 420 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Carolina Hurricanes turn to Zamboni driver as emergency goalie in win over Maple Leafs
David Ayres, 42, was forced into action in Toronto Marlies gear and a Hurricanes jersey.

Emergency goalie David Ayres helped the Carolina Hurricanes to a win Saturday. –Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press via AP

AP
February 23, 2020 | 8:06 AM

TORONTO (AP) — David Ayres was sitting in the stands with his wife at Scotiabank Arena when Carolina Hurricanes goalie James Reimer went down with an injury.

The on-call emergency netminder in Toronto, Ayers left his seat and got half-dressed into his gear on the off-chance something might happen to Carolina’s second option, Petr Mrazek.

Midway through the second period, Ayres noticed his cellphone started to blow up. What he didn’t realize was that Mrazek had been hurt in a scary collision with Maple Leafs forward Kyle Clifford and was down on the ice.

Read more at: https://www.boston.com/sports/nhl/2020/02/23/zamboni-driver-emergency-goalie-carolina-hurricanes

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Big buzz over this, I'm still learning the story myself but the goalkeeper yes, was the Zamboni (the thing they drive on the ice to clean it up) driver and he was sitting in the audience and he was called down when the 2nd Carolina goalkeeper had to leave the game due to injury. Rather strange. I gather it occurred in Toronto.