Author Topic: Jerry Lee Lewis Returns to Music: ‘I Thought I Would Never Play Again’ [  (Read 510 times)

Offline Applewood

Jerry Lee Lewis Returns to Music: ‘I Thought I Would Never Play Again’

When Jerry Lee Lewis entered a Nashville recording studio late last month, he had no idea what was going to happen. He had not played music since February 2019, when he suffered a serious stroke at his home in Nesbit, Mississippi. Though his team described the stroke as “minor” at the time, it wasn’t; Lewis was left with mobility issues, and those around him feared he wouldn’t survive. Lewis was more concerned about whether he would ever be able to play the piano again; he spent three months in a rehab facility relearning to walk and trying to gain use of his right hand. It was a struggle.

Late last month, the 84-year-old Lewis booked a recording session — his first in more than five years — to see if he could still make music. The idea was to begin a long-planned album of gospel classics that he’d known since his childhood in Ferriday, Louisiana — songs he knew before he helped kick-start rock & roll with hits like “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” and “Great Balls of Fire.” Before the session, Lewis told his team and producer T-Bone Burnett that he didn’t want a piano in the room at all: his right hand wasn’t working, and he just wanted to sing. But they kept one in the room just in case. When Lewis sat on its stool, he couldn’t help but lift his right hand onto the keys. To his own surprise, his fingers started moving.

More at:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/jerry-lee-lewis-returns-thought-would-never-play-again-953592/

Personal note:  I saw Lewis perform several years ago  and yes, he could still sing and play.  So glad to hear he's recovered and back in the studio.

Offline LadyLiberty

Offline dfwgator

Rock on, Killer!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Jerry Lee Lewis Returns to Music: ‘I Thought I Would Never Play Again’

More at:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/jerry-lee-lewis-returns-thought-would-never-play-again-953592/

Personal note:  I saw Lewis perform several years ago  and yes, he could still sing and play.  So glad to hear he's recovered and back in the studio.

@Applewood

Jerry Lee was one of the creators of rock and roll,and one of it's greatest performers.

One of the funniest videos I ever saw on YouTube was Jerry Lee performing at a local fair somewhere,and there was no admission fee. The people putting it on paid him to show up,and you could see from the way the crowd just kind of wandered in to sit on the folding chairs that almost none of them knew who he was.

He may have been old,but he was still "The Killer". He walked out from behind the curtain,sat down at the piano,turned to the audience,and said "Hello,I am Jerry Lee Lewis,and I am here to play for you. Try to hold on to what you got",and started banging on those keys and singing. Without 30 seconds most of the chairs had been kicked over or tossed out of the way,and damn near the whole crowd was dancing.

AND.....,he was STILL friends will all his former wives. Imagine THAT!

BTW,there were three "Kings of Rock and Roll",and none of them were named "Elvis". They were Chuck Berry,Buddy Holley,and Jerry Lee Lewis.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:58:29 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

Never was a big fan, but these days I feel anyone who's been a household name as far back as I can remember is kin.

Offline Applewood

@sneakypete

Great story.  That was about the way it was when I saw Lewis perform some years ago.  Nobody was sitting down.  The place was jumping.  And I think Lewis was maybe in his late 70s at the time.  I'd like to see some of today's youngsters perform with that level of energy when they get to his age. 

About his wives (I think he had 7 of them):  Lewis caused quite a scandal when he married his cousin who was only 13 at the time.  When they divorced, she said he abused her physically and mentally.  So it's surprising to me that she would still be friends with him.  I don't know.  Maybe age mellowed him out a bit.  He was quite the hell raiser on stage and off. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Great story.  That was about the way it was when I saw Lewis perform some years ago.  Nobody was sitting down.  The place was jumping.  And I think Lewis was maybe in his late 70s at the time.  I'd like to see some of today's youngsters perform with that level of energy when they get to his age. 

About his wives (I think he had 7 of them):  Lewis caused quite a scandal when he married his cousin who was only 13 at the time.  When they divorced, she said he abused her physically and mentally.  So it's surprising to me that she would still be friends with him.  I don't know.  Maybe age mellowed him out a bit.  He was quite the hell raiser on stage and off.

@Applewood

My memory ain't what it used to be,but I vaguely remember seeing a documentary on him,and his first wife was interviewed and said that she felt pressured to say those things back then,and that their problems were mostly caused by the pressure of the press.

I have no doubt he was difficult to deal with,though.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!