Author Topic: US officials say Russia trying to help Bernie Sanders in 2020 race  (Read 360 times)

Offline corbe

US officials say Russia trying to help Bernie Sanders in 2020 race

by Jerry Dunleavy

February 21, 2020 05:01 PM

Sen. Bernie Sanders was told by U.S. officials the Russian government is trying to assist his presidential campaign, according to a new report.

The interference effort, aimed at disrupting the Democratic presidential primaries, has been relayed to President Trump and lawmakers on Capitol Hill, unnamed sources told the Washington Post. The article noted that it is not clear what form this "Russian assistance" has taken.

Sanders, an independent senator from Vermont, released a statement through his campaign minutes after it was published.
“Unlike Donald Trump, I do not consider Vladimir Putin a good friend. He is an autocratic thug who is attempting to destroy democracy and crush dissent in Russia. Let’s be clear, the Russians want to undermine American democracy by dividing us up and, unlike the current president, I stand firmly against their efforts, and any other foreign power that wants to interfere in our election,” Sanders said. “I don't care, frankly, who Putin wants to be president. My message to Putin is clear: stay out of American elections, and as president I will make sure that you do.”

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/us-officials-say-russia-is-trying-to-help-bernie-sanders-in-2020-race
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: US officials say Russia trying to help Bernie Sanders in 2020 race
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 10:17:45 pm »

Are you leaking, again, Mick?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 10:27:24 pm »
I just heard on my local news that Russia is helping Trump in the 2020 race.  Which is it Bernie or Donald?

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 10:31:44 pm »
   I guarandamntee ya that they wouldn't be helping a President Cruz!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 03:14:34 am »

For the most part, true....

Cruz wanted us to stay in NE Syria, called withdrawing a disgrace as did quite a number of others or they said something similar.  But there are some factors I may not be aware of, there is some wiggle room.

Nord Star 2, there have been a few areas where it seems Trump could be stronger.

---------------

Up at Drudge now:

----------------

I don't know if its Bannon's words or what.

This whole thing needs to be straightened out per Russia.

Julia Davis, formerly Wapo, now Daily Beast:   https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews

Julia Davis:

Trump’s Fury at Intel Briefing Shows Putin’s Bet Keeps Paying Off
NOT SICK OF WINNING
The GOP wants you to believe Trump is tough on Russia. So why does Moscow love him so much? The Kremlin’s state media make that clear almost every day.
Julia Davis  Updated Feb. 21, 2020

Intelligence officials warned House lawmakers last week that Russia is interfering in the 2020 campaign to try to get President Donald Trump re-elected, The New York Times and The Daily Beast report. During the briefing to the House Intelligence Committee, Trump’s Republican allies reportedly challenged the conclusions of the intelligence community, arguing that under Trump the U.S. has been tough on Russia and strengthened European security.

But Russia’s state media—tightly controlled by the Kremlin—contradicts that assertion all the time. It has consistently conveyed the message that Trump’s election has proven exceedingly beneficial for the Kremlin.

Indeed, Trump’s presidency is so valuable for Vladimir Putin that even “tough” sanctions are minor by comparison. The Chekist in the Kremlin is willing to make temporary sacrifices in order to keep such a disruptive figure in charge of the mightiest country in the world, and Russian state media repeatedly makes the point that Russia’s gamble will continue to pay off, since the Kremlin is holding, as it were, the trump card.

Read more at: https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trumps-fury-at-intel-briefing-shows-vladimir-putins-bet-keeps-paying-off

She's pretty sulphuric about Trump but doesn't ever seem to rely on ad hom types of remarks.

Garry Kasparov, Max Boot, Julia Davis, all kind of similar... there's a whole lot of people out there that just assume , make the case Trump is indeed in cahoots with the Russians, better not be.

This needs to be dispelled once and for all. Unfortunately, some of these journalists may well get some pretty hateful mail.

Garry Kasparov, former world chess champion:   https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/   And Garry is not Russian but he was born into the Soviet Union. I don't know his whole history.  He liked McCain a lot which to me, translates to near fighting Russia for Ukraine.

A Popular Front to Stop Trump
Garry Kasparov   

As much as opposing ideologues may hate each other, there is no one they despise more than those who try to make peace between them. The peacemakers may well be blessed in the hereafter, but in the earthly realm they are treated as badly as the poor and the meek. I found this out the hard way when I retired from chess in 2005 to help create a Russian coalition movement against the rising dictatorship of Vladimir Putin.

By then, it was clear that Putin was returning at all possible speed to his Soviet and KGB roots. Elected as Boris Yeltsin’s hand-picked successor in 2000, Putin was reelected in a stage-managed landslide in 2004. Russia’s wealthiest man, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, had been jailed in 2003 for refusing to cease his dabbling in politics. The Russian media had been brought largely to heel by a Kremlin campaign of takeovers and threats. In April 2005, as if to remove any doubts, Putin made his infamous remark that the collapse of the Soviet Union was “the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the twentieth century.”

As world chess champion, I had tried to use my platform and the protection my fame provided me to speak out against communism and Soviet repression. But this time, it was going to be a full-time job. I was no politician, as critics were quick to point out, but I had unique status as someone who had long represented the USSR and Russia while maintaining a consistent position on liberty and democracy. That patriotic past made it difficult for the Kremlin to slander me as a Western stooge (though they tried) and I obviously wasn’t motivated by financial gain to swap the peak of the chess world to march in the streets of Moscow always outnumbered by riot police.

Read more at: https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2020/01/28/a-popular-front-to-stop-trump/

Yes, I'd like to dispel any unsettling thoughts, maybe Julie above is correct, when the USA is disruptive, that might be of benefit to Putin BUT.... I'd doubt it was better under Barak.

Then, again, it could all be hokum and nothing there,  could be "there's no there, there".

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 03:29:29 am »
I just heard on my local news that Russia is helping Trump in the 2020 race.  Which is it Bernie or Donald?

Julia Davis
@JuliaDavisNews

Russian state media says Trump should wish the best of luck to Bernie Sanders, whose candidacy brings “nothing but joy” for the incumbent. They describe Sanders as "an ideal opponent who can be taken down easily by Trump."

https://mobile.twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1230966564834496513
https://mobile.twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews

She says that, doesn't mean it's true but it does sound like it could be possible.

I don't think Max Boot really believes in the Russia connection and Julia is a journalist and she makes her livelihood on this hoax, rumor or whatever it is.

I have not seen any convincing information almost, there was something in the Mueller report but no charges were brought and they had $30 million dollars, 2 years, and 30 hot shot lawyers looking for things and nothing really came of it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:23:32 am by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 07:57:15 am »
I have a hard time believing that. The Russians overthrew Communism,and they are never going back. Why would they try to help a communist when it is in their,AND America's best interest for us to be allies against Islam?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 07:59:06 am »
I just heard on my local news that Russia is helping Trump in the 2020 race.

@LottieDah

THAT would make more sense.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 07:59:54 am »

@corbe

Why,and why do you think that would be a good thing?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 12:52:42 pm »
Carpe Donktum  @CarpeDonktum

SCOOP: As a Russian Bot, I am often given insider information directly from Putin.
Earlier today Vladypoo told me he actually prefers that Bloomberg wins the 2020 election because "He won't be able to reach the Nuclear button"
5:18 PM · Feb 21, 2020·
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 01:03:18 pm »
...Unnamed sources told the washington post....

yea, I'm gonna believe this....