Author Topic: Utah senators pass bill to decriminalize polygamy  (Read 845 times)

Offline mountaineer

Utah senators pass bill to decriminalize polygamy
« on: February 19, 2020, 07:08:35 pm »
Utah senators pass bill to decriminalize polygamy
 By Bethany Rodgers
 Published: 1 day ago, Updated: 2 hours ago

A bill that would effectively decriminalize polygamy and dispel fears of prosecution for plural marriage among consenting adults sailed through the Utah Senate on Tuesday.

Sen. Deidre Henderson’s bill would reclassify bigamy as an infraction, codifying the practice of the Utah attorney general’s office not to prosecute otherwise law-abiding polygamists. An infraction, like a traffic ticket, carries no threat of imprisonment.

The measure, SB102, cleared the Senate by a unanimous vote after scant debate and now heads to the House.   ...
More at Salt Lake City Tribune

*****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EdinVA

Re: Utah senators pass bill to decriminalize polygamy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 07:33:22 pm »
I think it is still against federal law

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 07:38:38 pm »
I always thought this would be the next progression after acceptance of gay marriage.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline conservativevoter

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 07:40:32 pm »
It's ok with me as long as we limit the number of financial claims.  (Think 'Sister Wives'.)  :cool:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 07:43:38 pm »
Isn't this one of the things the state had to stop sanctioning in order to become a state in the first palce?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 07:45:58 pm »
I always thought this would be the next progression after acceptance of gay marriage.

Exactly so.

When the operative words are “who you love,” there is no bottom to the abyss.

The next steps will be family members, children, pets......  *****rollingeyes*****

When you say no love is wrong, you open the floodgates to anything and everything.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 08:17:59 pm »
Look, I really don't care what kinds of "lifestyle" choices people choose to make, provided they don't demand that I approve of them or pay for their consequences.

Human nature being the stubborn and intractable thing that it is, those consequences always make themselves plain in the fullness of time, because truth cannot be held down forever.

In terms of a lifetime commitment of one's heart and soul, one man and one woman is the only union proven to work well, and it does so universally.

In terms of sheer fun, though: one man and three women...  000hehehehe     
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 08:38:30 pm »
Isn't this one of the things the state had to stop sanctioning in order to become a state in the first palce?

That is what I seem to recall from history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah

Not to mention the best snow in the world, nd what some call the best scenery too.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 12:33:34 am »

In terms of a lifetime commitment of one's heart and soul, one man and one woman is the only union proven to work well, and it does so universally occasionally.

There,fixed it for ya..

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 01:09:13 am »

That and Pedophilia.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 01:42:35 am »
A bill that would effectively decriminalize polygamy and dispel fears of prosecution for plural marriage among consenting adults sailed through the Utah Senate on Tuesday.

I also notice it doesn't specify one man and however many women as in the classic 'sister wives' ... only 'consenting adults'.  Presumably, that could be any combination of men and/or women, right?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online corbe

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 01:46:47 am »
   Gotta hand it them, Happily Married to even 1, at a time, has proven beyond my capabilities.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:47:35 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 02:40:58 pm »
Gay Marriage Was Always Leading To Polygamy
The Utah state Senate voted this week unanimously to decriminalize polygamy. It is a development every social conservative saw coming.
February 21, 2020
 By David Marcus
The Utah state Senate this week unanimously voted to decriminalize polygamy, knocking it down from a felony to a minor civil infraction. Though not quite legal yet, the practice of having multiple spouses is well on its way there, and let’s face it, now that marriage has already been redefined to suit the nature of our times, what could possibly stand in the way of fully legal and recognized polygamous unions?

This, of course, is something we were promised would never happen when gay marriage became a constitutional right. ...

There are many more examples, and what was clear then and is playing out now is that these arguments suggesting gay marriage would not lead to polygamy simply make no sense. Just like the fallacious claims that tearing down Confederate monuments would not lead to attacks on George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, the plain logic of gay marriage always pointed in the direction of polygamy.

The reason polygamy became inevitable is that once untethered from the concept of man and wife, there is simply no basis for constraining marriage to two people.  ...
Read the entire article at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 04:56:03 pm »
Gay Marriage Was Always Leading To Polygamy

now that marriage has already been redefined to suit the nature of our times, what could possibly stand in the way of fully legal and recognized polygamous unions?

@mountaineer

Let's face it,the author has a valid point. I can see people in the near future wanting to marry their house pets,their cars,or thinking BIG,the planet itself.

This should be interesting to follow. Regradless of what happens,toes are going to be stepped on,and voices will be howling at the moon.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 04:59:01 pm »
@mountaineer

Let's face it,the author has a valid point. I can see people in the near future wanting to marry their house pets,their cars,or thinking BIG,the planet itself.

This should be interesting to follow. Regradless of what happens,toes are going to be stepped on,and voices will be howling at the moon.
@sneakypete
An Italian woman has married herself in a ceremony complete with white dress, three-layer wedding cake, bridesmaids and 70 guests.
"I firmly believe that each of us must first of all love ourselves," said Laura Mesi, a 40-year-old fitness trainer. "You can have a fairytale even without the prince."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41413297
Talk about a messy divorce...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 05:19:14 pm »
@sneakypeteTalk about a messy divorce...

@EdinVA

No kidding.  How would you like to be the judge that has to decide who gets possession of the ego,and who gets the humility?