Author Topic: Growing fruit in Houston is easy. Cheap. And good for your soul.  (Read 523 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Growing fruit in Houston is easy. Cheap. And good for your soul.
« on: February 07, 2020, 09:25:56 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  Lisa Gray Feb. 7, 2020

On Saturday, Feb. 15, it’s likely that more than a thousand Houstonians will line up not for a concert or a limited-edition sneaker, but for fruit trees. Urban Harvest’s annual fruit tree sale, now in its 20th year, is the largest one-day fruit-tree sale in the nation, a Black Friday dressed in leaves. It is also a surprisingly spiritual exercise.

You may not realize it yet, but you need a fruit tree in your life. Here’s why:

1. You need fruit: It’s a food group. Fresh-picked homegrown fruit is more nutritious and often far better-tasting than the stuff you buy at the grocery store. (Compare a homegrown Blue Java banana to a standard grocery-store banana. I dare you.) Home-grown fruit varieties don’t have to be tough enough to ship, don’t have to play well with mechanized pickers, don’t have to withstand long periods in a produce aisle. Loquats are hard to find in grocery stores but easy to love.

2. A fruit tree will focus your attention on the world in front of you, right here, right now. Here in Houston, you can’t move to the planting and harvest times of New England or even Austin. Our climate is subtropical, moving toward tropical; our soil is mostly gumbo clay. Your yard is different than your neighbor’s. And inside your yard, some spots have better drainage, get more sun, are more exposed to wind. Maybe you only have a sunny balcony: Fine. If you have room for a large container, you can grow Nules clementines or Little Ruby figs.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/gardening/article/Growing-fruit-in-Houston-is-easy-Cheap-And-good-15034885.php

Offline thackney

Re: Growing fruit in Houston is easy. Cheap. And good for your soul.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 07:33:51 pm »
We went to the Brazoria County Master Gardeners Fruit Tree sale this weekend.  It was held at the County Fairgrounds in Angleton.

This year we bought a Lemon, Tangerine and a Mandarin.  Also bought a couple Blackberry bushes and a blueberry bush.   We also bought tomato and pepper plants.

Other counties sale dates may be found:

Texas Master Gardener Association
Events»
https://txmg.org/events
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 08:22:29 pm »
This year I plan to add a couple of navel orange trees and a couple of mango trees to keep in pots. My last 2 mango trees, I got talked into putting them into the ground. Several times they froze down to the ground, but came back up. The last time one started to come back up but didn't survive.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 08:31:42 pm »
I have a Satsuma, a Tangerine, 2 Grapefruit, a Lemon, a Loquat, a Celeste Fig, and a Texas Everbearing Fig.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:38:27 pm »
I use ~30 gallon plastic tubs we get for cattle feed.  They have a heavy lip and I can pick them up with the front forks on the tractor.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 08:53:22 pm »
All my trees are in the ground. We haven't had a damaging freeze in quite a few years. My Satsuma is around 35 yrs old or so. The top few feet have froze a few times. When I had adequate warning I covered it with a surplus parachute and put a kerosene heater underneath. My other trees are 10 yrs old or less and have never had any freeze damage.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 08:59:26 pm »
We don't have a lot of back yard room, but I had a peach tree that did pretty well, but Ike killed it.
My wife would like a meyer lemon.
I'd like another peach tree.
Once we settle this, we will plant one or the other.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 09:22:19 pm »
We don't have a lot of back yard room, but I had a peach tree that did pretty well, but Ike killed it.
My wife would like a meyer lemon.
I'd like another peach tree.
Once we settle this, we will plant one or the other.

Clearly you need two trees.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 10:48:01 pm »
Clearly you need two trees.

LOL, yeah, probably.

We had a pecan and the peach tree, at one time.