Author Topic: A Salute to the Zags  (Read 509 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

A Salute to the Zags
« on: February 07, 2020, 05:21:26 pm »
The Gonzaga Bulldogs are on the cusp of achieving a remarkable statistic: 7 players averaging double digit points per game. After last night's game, we currently have 6 at that level:

Filip Petrusev - 17.2 (Wooden Award nominee)
Corey Kispert - 14.0 (Julius Erving nominee)
Killian Tillie - 12.6 (Karl Malone nominee)
Admon Gilder - 11.2
Joel Ayayi - 11.0
Ryan Woolridge - 10.3

Drew Timme, a freshman from Richardson, TX, is now averaging 9.9 PPG, needing 12 on Saturday to put him over the top.

For those who love team basketball, this is a team worth following. The Zags started the year with 9 new players, losing 4 of last year's top 5 scorers to the NBA and graduation (yes, two players actually earned their degrees).

Gonzaga is the only team in college basketball with nominees for each of the three post season awards. Rui Hachimura, now with the Washington Wizards as the first Japanese player ever drafted in the first round, won the Erving award last year.

My grandson's favorite player is Killian Tillie, and he finally met him when the Zags throttled Texas A&M in College Station in November.

One of my favorites for the past 3 years has been Corey Kispert. He took time out of his evening workout to give instruction to my grandson two summers ago, when we were in Spokane for a few days.

Two years later, they reconnected in College Station:

It warmed my heart when Corey recognized Dillon from their brief time together in Spokane. They apparently had a great conversation, though all Dillon could say is "we talked about 'stuff'." My daughter got a bit emotional when I told her about it. GU basketball has a very strong family vibe, and it's been evident during our brief encounters with the players.

As an alum, I can relate to it, there's something special about Gonzaga. I saw it up close and personal while my son was at camp in 2017. At the end of the day, I saw a former player shooting free throws. I knew he had been playing in Europe, so I asked him, "what brought you back?" He said he returns to Spokane regularly to "get his head right." Although I hadn't been on campus for over 15 years, I understood completely.

To make a run in the NCAA tournament, we'll need everyone to be healthy, something we haven't had the entire season. We'll also need a dollop of good luck, as anything can happen during that single elimination tournament.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:33:15 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: A Salute to the Zags
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 05:48:46 pm »
I Zigged once when I should have Zagged.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 05:59:52 pm »
I Zigged once when I should have Zagged.

I’m guilty of that, but on too many occasions.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 08:46:58 pm »
I am a Zag fan...but only because they are the Alma Mater of John Stockton...who I still think was an excellent player. (I'm also a Vols fan due to Peyton)

I always root for them during the "Big Dance".

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 01:43:22 pm »
I am a Zag fan...but only because they are the Alma Mater of John Stockton...who I still think was an excellent player. (I'm also a Vols fan due to Peyton)

I always root for them during the "Big Dance".
I never saw Stockton in college...didn't get ESPN until the late eighties, and CBS and the other networks never televised any  Gonzaga games.
I did see Stockton for the first time live in La Crosse, Wis. during his rookie season in an exhibition game against the Bulls....without Jordan.
He had 18 pts and 10 assists, and I knew he'd be a star.
But he didn't become the starting pg until his fourth season playing behind Ricky Green for his first three seasons.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 04:32:29 pm »
Zags are now 25-1, after thumping St. Mary's in Moraga Saturday night 90-60. They put it away in the first half, leading 53-28 after 20 minutes.

Drew Timme scored 20, so the Zags have 7 players averaging 10+ points a game, a remarkable achievement, and testament to the team ball they play.