Author Topic: 7-Eleven tests fully automated, cashier-less concept in Irving, Texas  (Read 354 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Darla Guillen Gilthorpe 2/6/2020

A new, concept 7-Eleven store is completely unmanned.

The cashier-less store is being operated by an AI-style "proprietary mixture of algorithms and predictive technology" that knows how to distinguish individual patrons and their purchases from others in the shop. For the time being, only select popular products will be sold onsite, including over-the-counter drugs, beverages and groceries.

"Retail technology is evolving at a rapid pace and customer expectations are driving the evolution," said 7-Eleven President and CEO Joe DePinto. "Our team is dedicated to continuing 7-Eleven's legacy of innovation with industry-leading digital solutions. Most recently that has included our award winning 7Rewards loyalty platform, 7NOW on-demand delivery, mobile checkout, and now our new cashierless store.”

This 700-square-foot 7-Eleven location will only be shopped by store employees during the pilot program.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/7-Eleven-tests-fully-automated-cashier-less-15035436.php

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: 7-Eleven tests fully automated, cashier-less concept in Irving, Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:05:01 am »
Most of my own shopping tripe are to a Walmart Neighborhood market store, with several automated scan and pay yourself

I rarely need an employee for help, and they arrive within seconds.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 02:16:14 am »
Same when I use self checkout at Sam's. But 7-Eleven is not going to have any employees in the store at all.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 02:44:07 am »
More jobs lost to 'progress'?   The Walmart neighborhood market that I go to still has cashiers and I wait in long lines as people still like to use cashiers -- I can write a check (boo hiss I know I'm old fashioned).  Target and Home Depot same thing.   

Progress may be all fine and good, but at the expense of people losing their jobs?  Not so much.  Think of what has happened.  Brick and mortar stores are closing all over the country due to online shopping -- and now were going to have stores without cashiers -- they will soon have robots to do everything and what will people do for a living? 

What about the social aspect of all of this??  I've met several people at my local stores, post office, bank, etc. that I've interacted with for years.  That will soon disappear.  I want to be able to say hi and carry on a conversation with the people that I'm used to interacting with and see what's new in their lives --- I know about their kids and grandkids.

The now have machines that have the ability to do surgeries and computers will soon be replacing doctors that will be able to diagnose quicker and faster.

Do we really want to lose human contact?  Do we really want a society of robots??  Not me. 

We've seen Sci-Fi movies where there are humanoids.  I think that's just around the corner.  I hope we wake up and realize that we are destroying our society.  For what?  $$ and profit.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.