Author Topic: The McDonald's Monopoly Game Was Rigged For Years. 'McMillions' Exposes the Crime Ring That Made it  (Read 829 times)

Online corbe

The McDonald's Monopoly Game Was Rigged For Years. 'McMillions' Exposes the Crime Ring That Made it Happen.

Gabrielle Bruney 3 hrs ago

Anyone who watched TV in the 1990s remembers McDonald’s Monopoly game and its promise of lavish rewards, including luxury cars and a million dollar grand prize. But what’s less well-known is the fact that between 1995 and 2000, almost none of the big-name prizes were won honestly. It’s a story that’s flown more or less under the radar for nearly two decades, but with the help of a brand-new docuseries (and an upcoming film from Ben Affleck and Matt Damon) the McDonald's Monopoly game fraud is about to get some of the attention denied it all those years ago.

HBO’s six-part docuseries McMillions, which debuts Monday night, tells the true story behind the long-running heist. The game worked by aping the Monopoly board game, with players collecting tokens at McDonald's locations as well as in newspapers and magazines. Minor prizes, offering lucky winners a free side of fries or the like, were relatively easy to come by. But the tokens for major prizes were about as rare as winning lottery tickets. After receiving a tip off in 2000, Jacksonville’s FBI office realized that instead of the random group of winners that the game should have produced, the major prizes were often going to people connected by family and friend networks. With the help of Mafia associates, it seemed that someone working close to the game’s production—a man ominously known as Uncle Jerry—had been stealing and distributing winning pieces.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-mcdonalds-monopoly-game-was-rigged-for-years-mcmillions-exposes-the-crime-ring-that-made-it-happen/ar-BBZC9QO?ocid=spartanntp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm Shocked!

Well, not really.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Polly Ticks

I'm Shocked!

Well, not really.

Right?  The next thing we know, they're going to tell us McDonald's food isn't healthy.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

Right?  The next thing we know, they're going to tell us McDonald's food isn't healthy.
They have food there, too?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Looks interesting and I might watch the 1st episode today. But not sure it's worth a 6 part documentary (6 hours?).
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online Polly Ticks

They have food there, too?

I guess I really should have put quotation marks around that, shouldn't I. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I still crave a Big Mac, fries and Dr. Pepper on occasion... same as I crave a Krystal burger at times.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Just finished watching the first episode... so far this is great. The lead investigator is a little potty mouthed, but I recommend this... like a good investigative show (but real).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Just finished watching the first episode... so far this is great. The lead investigator is a little potty mouthed, but I recommend this... like a good investigative show (but real).

@Sighlass

I just watched too. Yes, the one FBI guy is quite a trip. I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:45:46 am by Neverdul »
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Kinda wonder how they pulled this off, considering I worked for the company that stuck these to the clamshells (and did myself).

There was a guy who would occasionally come and hand us the winning tickets to be mixed in with the rest, but then again there was no mention of just how 'winning' they were.

And I seem to remember an 'Uncle Jerry' comment once or twice, but can't think of the context.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

But the tokens for major prizes were about as rare as winning lottery tickets.
Who didn't know this?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

I wonder if the Supermarket (Albertson's, etc) Monopoly game is tangled up in this?

C S Lewis