Author Topic: United Methodist Church Announces Plan to Split Over Same-Sex Marriage  (Read 611 times)

Offline thackney

United Methodist Church Announces Plan to Split Over Same-Sex Marriage
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/03/us/methodist-split-gay-marriage.html
Jan. 3, 2020

A group of leaders of the United Methodist Church, the second-largest Protestant denomination in the United States, announced on Friday a plan that would formally split the church, citing “fundamental differences” over same-sex marriage after years of division.

The plan would sunder a denomination with 13 million members globally — roughly half of them in the United States — and create at least one new “traditionalist Methodist” denomination that would continue to ban same-sex marriage as well as the ordination of gay and lesbian clergy.

It seems likely that the majority of the denomination’s churches in the United States would remain in the existing United Methodist Church, which would become a more liberal-leaning institution as conservative congregations worldwide depart.

A separation in the Methodist church, a denomination long home to a varied mix of left and right, had been brewing for years, if not decades. It had become widely seen as likely after a contentious general conference in St. Louis last February, when 53 percent of church leaders and lay members voted to tighten the ban on same-sex marriage, declaring that “the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching.”

“We tried to look for ways that we could gracefully live together with all our differences,” Bishop Cynthia Fierro Harvey of Louisiana said. After last year’s conference, she said, “it just didn’t look like that was even possible anymore.”

In the months following, Bishop Harvey and 15 other church representatives came together in an informal committee that determined separation was “the best means to resolve our differences, allowing each part of the church to remain true to its theological understanding.”...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: United Methodist Church Announces Plan to Split Over Same-Sex Marriage
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 03:10:51 pm »
So will either of the pieces retain the soon-to-be-ironic name of "United Methodist Church"?
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 03:15:58 pm »
So will either of the pieces retain the soon-to-be-ironic name of "United Methodist Church"?

The name "United" came from the merger with Evangelical United Brethren Church, which was had previous mergers of their own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_United_Brethren_in_Christ

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 03:22:50 pm »
Once you compromise your values (in this case the words of the Bible) in order to accommodate estranged peoples, you have lost your way.

Better to die a martyr preserving your values than to prostitute your beliefs.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:26:13 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 04:08:29 pm »
I wonder which faction will "own" the Emmaus Walk.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 06:39:50 pm »

Lots of activities outside the basic church that would leave a hole for one side or the other.  UM Army and UMCOR as other examples.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 12:10:11 am »

I had to Goggle that.  I haven't heard the term "The Upper Room" since I was a kid.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 01:59:28 am »
The name "United" came from the merger with Evangelical United Brethren Church, which was had previous mergers of their own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_United_Brethren_in_Christ

I know that.  It, will, however, soon be, as I noted, ironic for either of the parts to retain the name, that history notwithstanding.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 12:26:24 pm »
I know that.  It, will, however, soon be, as I noted, ironic for either of the parts to retain the name, that history notwithstanding.

:thumbsup:

Offline verga

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 12:47:55 pm »
One of the UMC churches near me openly welcomes homosexuals and has a female pastor. This could get ugly fast.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 12:49:58 pm »
One of the UMC churches near me openly welcomes homosexuals and has a female pastor. This could get ugly fast.

In talking about it with my pastor this weekend, he felt it was telling that first they voted on resolving pensions and church property ownership.  It told where the priorities really were at.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 01:21:49 pm »
I had to Goggle that.  I haven't heard the term "The Upper Room" since I was a kid.

It's a great program, and also feeds volunteers into the Residents Encounter Christ prison ministry.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 01:22:55 pm »
In talking about it with my pastor this weekend, he felt it was telling that first they voted on resolving pensions and church property ownership.  It told where the priorities really were at.
As @mountaineer has, in the past, discussed in regard to the Presbyterians who have gone through a schism, the money and property issue is indeed one of the first things that needs to be sorted out in a schism. That's because a lot of these denominations—the UMC included—own most of their communities' church buildings centrally. So if there's a schism, the congregations that split all of a sudden end up homeless and the buildings end up empty.

As a member of a UMC congregation, albeit a more conservative congregation that was historically United Brethren and still has the old EUB sign on the bell tower, we've been paying close attention to this. The UMC has long been fast and loose with regard to letting its local congregations set policy, so a schism at this point isn't all that surprising. I am glad they're not going to be jerks about it and are going to allow a split as equals instead of leaving denominations like ours in the dust.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 01:40:56 pm »
I suspect, they cannot afford to have larger churches split away and leave the UMC with an empty building and hundred of thousands in debt.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 02:33:27 pm »
One of my college roommates is married to a UMC pastor. They have a homosexual son and I suspect Dad conducted his "marriage" ceremony a year or so ago, without letting the bishop know (because it was verboten). It will be a surprise if this particular UMC pastor doesn't reject the "traditionalist" route.  :crying:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org