Author Topic: New Scalia Rising? Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch warns judicial activists that he's coming for  (Read 1179 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
January 28, 2020
New Scalia Rising? Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch warns judicial activists that he's coming for them
By Monica Showalter

Is the era of Big Judicial Activism over?

It might just be. Supreme Court Justic Neil Gorsuch, in a ruling about denying green cards to migrants who come here to be "public charges," something that's plainly laid out in U.S. law as illegal, threw in a special warning to activist judges, all leftists, who have been beavering away to rule from the bench, warning them that he's tired of their shenanigans. It's a specter to behold - a big lion on the Supreme Court who not only cares about rule of law, but is now warning the leftists out there that he's coming for them.

Here's PJMedia's report:

In addition to the 5-4 decision allowing the rule to go into effect, Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch issued a concurring opinion rebuking activist judges and their rush to apply "nationwide injunctions" against Trump administration policies.
    "Today the Court (rightly) grants a stay, allowing the government to pursue (for now) its policy everywhere save Illinois. But, in light of all that’s come before, it would be delusional to think that one stay today suffices to remedy the problem. The real problem here is the increasingly common practice of trial courts ordering relief that transcends the cases before them. Whether framed as injunctions of 'nationwide,' 'universal,' or 'cosmic' scope, these orders share the same basic flaw—they direct how the defendant must act toward persons who are not parties to the case," Gorsuch wrote.

nore
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/01/new_scala_rising_supreme_court_justice_neil_gorsuch_warns_judicial_activists_that_hes_coming_for_them_.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I can hear the anti-Trumpers wailing in agony already,as they sob and whine about how "What we REALLY need is another Bush in the WH,and failing that,maybe a Romney! SUMBODIE SAVE US FROM THE BAD ORANGE MAN!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

I can hear the anti-Trumpers wailing in agony already,as they sob and whine about how "What we REALLY need is another Bush in the WH,and failing that,maybe a Romney! SUMBODIE SAVE US FROM THE BAD ORANGE MAN!

Each ruling by SCOTUS is 'something we can keep'. Something we would not have if Trump weren't president.

As long as we can keep the left from overthrowing the works, anyway.

Offline Applewood

Oh shush @sneakypete You don't know what you're talking about. 

This "Never Trumper" is pleased that it appears at least some of Trump's nominees are real conservatives.  I did not want to give Trump credit for nominating conservatives until I could see what these judges actually would do.  Remember that Justice Roberts was sold to us as a conservative and we later found out he wasn't.  So I have held my applause until I could see how these appointees would rule.  Alas, it takes time for a record of rulings to be accumulated.

One thing to remember though.  Trump has up till now enjoyed a Republican majority in the senate.  If control of the senate is lost to the Democrats, anyone Trump nominates will be rejected.  Trump supporters are so focused on their hero surviving impeachment and winning re-election, but they had better also hope the senate stays in Republican hands -- and maybe add more Republican seats.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Remember that Justice Roberts was sold to us as a conservative and we later found out he wasn't. 

Maybe he was sold to you as being a conservative,but not to me or a lot of other people. Then again,I never once considered Boy Jorge to be a conservative,either. Was booted from FR for stating that. Both he and Roberts are "lighter than air" Fairies,and nobody in public office is easier to blackmail.

One thing to remember though.  Trump has up till now enjoyed a Republican majority in the senate.  If control of the senate is lost to the Democrats, anyone Trump nominates will be rejected.  Trump supporters are so focused on their hero surviving impeachment and winning re-election, but they had better also hope the senate stays in Republican hands -- and maybe add more Republican seats.

Looking for a cloudy day to block all that sun,are you? And I suppose that IF the Dims take control of the Senate,you are going to blame that on Trump?

Offline Applewood

@sneakypete

Looking for a cloudy day to block all that sun, are you? And I suppose that IF the Dims take control of the Senate, you are going to blame that on Trump?

Once again, you are full of [expletive]  It's a warning not to assume that if Trump is re-elected, the senate will stay in Republican control.  If you and your fellow Trump supporters don't apply the same enthusiasm for Republican senate candidates as you do for Trump, you can forget about more conservative judges. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Once again, you are full of [expletive]  It's a warning not to assume that if Trump is re-elected, the senate will stay in Republican control.

@Applewood

Ok,I'll bite. WHY would Republicans vote for Trump in 2020,and not vote for other Republican candidates? On top of the people making a special trip to the polls to vote for Trump,most of whom will  probably vote a straight R ticket since they are already there,the NT's will be going to vote for their usual RINO suspects,like Mittens and Collins.

If you and your fellow Trump supporters don't apply the same enthusiasm for Republican senate candidates as you do for Trump, you can forget about more conservative judges. 

Yeah,causen people like Mittens and Collins can be counted on to vote for conservative judges,right?

Offline Applewood

@sneakypete

Ok, I'll bite. WHY would Republicans vote for Trump in 2020,and not vote for other Republican candidates? On top of the people making a special trip to the polls to vote for Trump, most of whom will  probably vote a straight R ticket since they are already there, the NT's will be going to vote for their usual RINO suspects, like Mittens and Collins.

Well, apparently, not enough of them voted Republican during the House elections because the House fell to the Dems. 

Yeah, causen people like Mittens and Collins can be counted on to vote for conservative judges, right?

of course, you are going to have a few liberal Republicans gumming up the works even in a Republican majority in the senate.  But you're going to have an even worse time trying to get conservative judges appointed if the Dems take the senate majority.

This is what I was talking about when I said the party has to not only retain the majority, but add to it.  Remember Justice Kavanaugh's confirmation?   It was touch and go because the Republican majority was slim and we had idiots like Collins vacillating over whether they would vote to confirm or not.  With more conservative Republicans in the senate, those idiots would not be a factor. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Applewood

I think the Republicans are going to keep control of the Senate,and maybe even take control of Congress.

Time will tell. There are too many balls being juggled and still in the air at this moment for anyone to make an accurate prediction. This may be the most chaotic election in US history by the time the dust settles. The left really and truly thought they had America in the bag in 2016,and then the unacceptable happened,Bubbette! lost to an amateur politician from NYC that has never held public office before,and doesn't owe anyone squat. They are truly desperate because they know if they lose again and Trump gets another term,it may be the end of what they have been working towards since the 1930's. I honestly don't think that is an exaggeration. Because of this,they are capable of anything.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

That is true.  But it's also true that the Senate is almost certainly lost if Trump loses, which would be even worse.  And if Trump voters perceive that the GOP turned their back on Trump, a lot of them simply won't vote for other Republicans.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That is true.  But it's also true that the Senate is almost certainly lost if Trump loses, which would be even worse. And if Trump voters perceive that the GOP turned their back on Trump, a lot of them simply won't vote for other Republicans.

@Maj. Bill Martin

You got THAT "stuff" right!

Online roamer_1

Each ruling by SCOTUS is 'something we can keep'. Something we would not have if Trump weren't president.

As long as we can keep the left from overthrowing the works, anyway.

Ahh, @skeeter , I think that was pointed at me...

I am happy to consider Gorsuch of a Conservative bend, or at least it seems to be trending that way... Not exactly surprising, though certainly a best-case if entirely true. However, even IF Gorsuch is of the mold of Scalia (which to me is not yet proven) that still does not tip the balance of the court, merely maintaining the status quo... If Kavanaugh acts as 'the Kennedy', which has always been more likely, then nothing has changed, and the court will remain tipped slightly to the left.

That is my caution in accrediting judges as a 'win' because it is a complicated thing, and not prone to be as sold. It will take time to measure the fealty of the court.

Online roamer_1

Oh shush @sneakypete You don't know what you're talking about. 

This "Never Trumper" is pleased that it appears at least some of Trump's nominees are real conservatives. I did not want to give Trump credit for nominating conservatives until I could see what these judges actually would do. Remember that Justice Roberts was sold to us as a conservative and we later found out he wasn't.  So I have held my applause until I could see how these appointees would rule.  Alas, it takes time for a record of rulings to be accumulated.

Exactly right.  :beer:

read: 'Conservative seats'   :beer:

Offline skeeter

I am happy to consider Gorsuch of a Conservative bend, or at least it seems to be trending that way... Not exactly surprising, though certainly a best-case if entirely true. However, even IF Gorsuch is of the mold of Scalia (which to me is not yet proven) that still does not tip the balance of the court, merely maintaining the status quo... If Kavanaugh acts as 'the Kennedy', which has always been more likely, then nothing has changed, and the court will remain tipped slightly to the left.

That is my caution in accrediting judges as a 'win' because it is a complicated thing, and not prone to be as sold. It will take time to measure the fealty of the court.
Yes, it was  happy77

Each SCOTUS ruling sets a powerful precedent. No more challenges or temporary stays, no more appeals. This is as permanent as it gets in government. Gorsuch was a good pick. I suspect Kavanaugh will be for the most part, as well.

Online roamer_1

Yes, it was  happy77

Each SCOTUS ruling sets a powerful precedent. No more challenges or temporary stays, no more appeals. This is as permanent as it gets in government. Gorsuch was a good pick. I suspect Kavanaugh will be for the most part, as well.

As I said, that remains to be seen.  :beer:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

The Court has been consistently 5-4 when it comes to permitting Trump's Executive Order and changes in immigration policy.  Not sure we'd have won all those votes with Kennedy. 

Online roamer_1

The Court has been consistently 5-4 when it comes to permitting Trump's Executive Order and changes in immigration policy.  Not sure we'd have won all those votes with Kennedy.

Immigration is but one issue.