Author Topic: BREAKING: Former NBA star Kobe Bryant dead at 41 in a helicopter crash.  (Read 3827 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: BREAKING: Former NBA star Kobe Bryant dead at 41 in a helicopter crash.
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2020, 03:30:09 pm »
Pilot of helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, was warned 'you're too low' as they flew through fog despite cops GROUNDING their fleet over safety fears as more of the nine victims of the Calabasas crash are named

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7931909/Kobe-Bryant-dies-Calabasas-helicopter-crash.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2020, 03:32:10 pm »
Your comment made me wonder... how'd Kobe get along with Hillary? (Bad joke)
You're not the first to raise that question.  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2020, 03:32:57 pm »
Kobe was a Hollywood creation. It's perfectly fine to acknowledge the accidental death of nine people, including innocent children, as a tragedy while noting the Day of Mourning that seems to be sweeping the media is a gross overreaction. Kobe was no saint. For many of us, he wasn't even a cultural icon.
What Bryant really was, was a genuinely great basketball player who would have become an icon of that sport no matter where he played in his prime; unlike my beloved baseball these years, the NBA seems to know how to promote its best players regardless of where their teams are based. He's a likely basketball Hall of Famer, too; as I understand that Hall's requirements, you're considered as a player after three years' retirement and with at least 50 determined win shares (according to Basketball Reference). Bryant is eligible for the first time this year and, among the candidates who meet the criteria, he's third in win shares (172.7) behind Tim Duncan 206.4) and Kevin Garnett (191.4).

A great basketball player, and a flawed man.

But his youth (41) and his oldest daughter joining him in death in such an unexpected and grisly manner that probably did the most to make it such a day-long choke of grief for so many.

And we also know now that longtime Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli (four state titles and 700+ wins) and his wife and his daughter also died in the helicopter crash.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2020, 03:33:46 pm »
@mountaineer

Obama isn't the only one cashing in on Bryant's death.  The Goobernor of Pennsylvania, Tom Wolf, had to issue a tweet indicating his "grief" -- ostensibly because Bryant was a Philadelphia native.  None of these famous people really give a dam about Bryant's death or his daughter or the others who died.  They just want to milk this tragedy for free publicity.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2020, 03:35:13 pm »
And we also know now that longtime Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli (four state titles and 700+ wins) and his wife and his daughter also died in the helicopter crash.

@EasyAce

Also a former University of Houston baseball player.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2020, 03:41:22 pm »
I hate to hear about anyone so young dying but it happens all the time and without all the fanfare.  Kobe Bryant is just another guy as far as I'm concerned.  I would be much more inclined to make a big fuss over a soldier or Marine who died in the service of his country.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2020, 03:41:54 pm »
You're absolutely correct, @Applewood
They do it whenever a celebrity dies, whether athlete or rapper. The deceased suddenly becomes their best friend, simply because they once posed for a photo with him.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2020, 03:43:00 pm »
I hate to hear about anyone so young dying but it happens all the time and without all the fanfare.  Kobe Bryant is just another guy as far as I'm concerned.  I would be much more inclined to make a big fuss over a soldier or Marine who died in the service of his country.

WORD
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2020, 04:01:25 pm »
What Bryant really was, was a genuinely great basketball player who would have become an icon of that sport no matter where he played in his prime; unlike my beloved baseball these years, the NBA seems to know how to promote its best players regardless of where their teams are based. He's a likely basketball Hall of Famer, too; as I understand that Hall's requirements, you're considered as a player after three years' retirement and with at least 50 determined win shares (according to Basketball Reference). Bryant is eligible for the first time this year and, among the candidates who meet the criteria, he's third in win shares (172.7) behind Tim Duncan 206.4) and Kevin Garnett (191.4).

A great basketball player, and a flawed man.

But his youth (41) and his oldest daughter joining him in death in such an unexpected and grisly manner that probably did the most to make it such a day-long choke of grief for so many.

There are a lot of basketball fanatics who disliked Bryant intensely and denied his greatness.
I don't think there's any doubt about his greatness, and I was not actually a big fan of his. (like in baseball, I was an Aaron fan over Mays.)
But, nevertheless,  he was a tremendous player.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2020, 04:08:03 pm »

That's just a generic statement, one could say the same thing for when Marilyn, Elvis, Michael Jackson or a number of others died.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2020, 04:16:50 pm »
There are a lot of basketball fanatics who disliked Bryant intensely and denied his greatness.
You'd be hard pressed to find fans of any team sport who don't feel that way about even the genuine greats---usually because he plays for the other guys, but not exclusively.

I don't think there's any doubt about his greatness, and I was not actually a big fan of his. (like in baseball, I was an Aaron fan over Mays.)
But, nevertheless,  he was a tremendous player.
Funny thing about Henry Aaron and Willie Mays---they didn't play for my team when I was growing up (well, Mays did at the sad end, and he got to go to the World Series one last time), but I loved watching both of them play. Just as I loved the like of Roberto Clemente, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Willie McCovey, Jim Bunning, Dick Allen, and Joe Morgan. If you were a Met fan from the day they were born, you had no choice but to admire what the other guys did even if doing it against your hapless anti-heroes was kinda sorta doing things the easy way---at least until the advent of Tom Seaver and a certain miracle season.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2020, 04:27:51 pm »
Kobe Bryant coverage: MSNBC anchor denies using racial slur, apologizes for ‘confusion
By Brian Flood | Fox News

“Earlier today, while reporting on the tragic news of Kobe Bryant’s passing, I unfortunately stuttered on air, combining the names of the Knicks and the Lakers to say ‘Nakers.’ Please know I did not & would NEVER use a racist term,” Morris tweeted. “I apologize for the confusion this caused.”

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/media/msnbc-anchor-denies-racial-slur-kobe-bryant-coverage

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2020, 04:46:54 pm »
Kobe Bryant coverage: MSNBC anchor denies using racial slur, apologizes for ‘confusion
She'll get more benefit of the doubt than Jeremy Kappell did for a lesser but similar slip-up...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/us/new-york-meteorologist-racial-slur/index.html
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online goatprairie

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2020, 05:21:45 pm »
You'd be hard pressed to find fans of any team sport who don't feel that way about even the genuine greats---usually because he plays for the other guys, but not exclusively.
Funny thing about Henry Aaron and Willie Mays---they didn't play for my team when I was growing up (well, Mays did at the sad end, and he got to go to the World Series one last time), but I loved watching both of them play. Just as I loved the like of Roberto Clemente, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Willie McCovey, Jim Bunning, Dick Allen, and Joe Morgan. If you were a Met fan from the day they were born, you had no choice but to admire what the other guys did even if doing it against your hapless anti-heroes was kinda sorta doing things the easy way---at least until the advent of Tom Seaver and a certain miracle season.
I liked Mays. I just liked Aaron a lot more. I liked all the great ones.
Funny thing, I hated the Yankees, but I liked Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris.
I remember during '61 in September and October every school day hoping Maris would hit another homer.

Offline DB

« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2020, 05:25:04 pm »

If you listen to it, it doesn't sound like "Nakers"... Saying it was "Nakers" is very charitable... I posted a link on this thread with the video clip of it yesterday.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2020, 05:27:52 pm »
Another loved OC Calif. star athlete's daughter died from Leukemia. Rod Carew.

It was widely covered by the SoCal media at the time.

The media coverage drew attention to finding matches for bone marrow transplants.

My brother died of Leukemia, and  my family was grateful for anything that helped  others with leukemia.

Kobe was used to "stardom" from childhood, when his father played pro basketball in Europe. Kareem said on tv, that he has known Kobe since he was a child.

Normal folks enjoy sports, and some adopt favorites, perhaps to vicariously enjoy some things.

I love the Carroll Shelby story. I could be jealous and resentful, or just enjoy his story, his driving satdom, his fast winning autos etc.

His driving career cut short by weak heart.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2020, 05:31:34 pm »
Not just hollywood stars but a lot of sports stars are flawed and a lot of this emotional outpouring I think is for the kids and for people who grew up knowing Kobe. I put what Rubio has made his current avatar as on twitter.  It's not really for me but I understand, some people really grew up with Kobe the way I might have grown up watching Joe Montana or something. These people were larger than life.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2020, 05:33:16 pm »
I remember during '61 in September and October every school day hoping Maris would hit another homer.

Mays is still around, 88 years old and still active with the Giants franchise (at least he was up until recently). A great guy by all accounts.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2020, 06:07:36 pm »
That's just a generic statement, one could say the same thing for when Marilyn, Elvis, Michael Jackson or a number of others died.

:yowsa: and I did so!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online goatprairie

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2020, 06:28:29 pm »
Not just hollywood stars but a lot of sports stars are flawed and a lot of this emotional outpouring I think is for the kids and for people who grew up knowing Kobe. I put what Rubio has made his current avatar as on twitter.  It's not really for me but I understand, some people really grew up with Kobe the way I might have grown up watching Joe Montana or something. These people were larger than life.
There was no bigger rounder than Babe Ruth. He wasn't faithful to his wife, and he couldn't control his vices.
But from all accounts he loved children and spent a lot of time signing autographs for young fans.
He was certainly idolized probably like no other athlete during those times.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2020, 06:32:38 pm »
Victims of Kobe Bryant helicopter crash remembered as ‘tremendous,' ‘extraordinary’
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-victims-20200127-sqeqwbxjfbgyjmm64h5z4crkgm-story.html
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2020, 06:36:17 pm »

I idolized Mickey Mantle as a child and still have the utmost respect for him as a baseball player.  There is no telling what he might have accomplished had he not injured himself early on and had to play hurt for most of his career.  But he was just a ballplayer.  NOT a national hero deserving of a state funeral.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online goatprairie

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2020, 06:42:56 pm »
I idolized Mickey Mantle as a child and still have the utmost respect for him as a baseball player.  There is no telling what he might have accomplished had he not injured himself early on and had to play hurt for most of his career.  But he was just a ballplayer.  NOT a national hero deserving of a state funeral.
Just watched a documentary about Mantle on YouTube.
If you wanted to design the perfect ballplayer, you might come up with Mantle.
Super fast, super strong, strong arm, hit for power and average. Just had a body that broke too often.
He was also obsessed with dying young as his father and other people in his family died young from Hodgkin's Disease. Which might have meant why he indulged in too much of the fun NYC offered to star ballplayers.
Despite all that, he still had a great career by anybody's standards.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2020, 06:46:25 pm »
Just watched a documentary about Mantle on YouTube.
If you wanted to design the perfect ballplayer, you might come up with Mantle.
Super fast, super strong, strong arm, hit for power and average. Just had a body that broke too often.
He was also obsessed with dying young as his father and other people in his family died young from Hodgkin's Disease. Which might have meant why he indulged in too much of the fun NYC offered to star ballplayers.
Despite all that, he still had a great career by anybody's standards.

:yowsa: he did without doubt!  What might he have accomplished with a good back?

- J. R. R. Tolkien