Author Topic: BREAKING: Former NBA star Kobe Bryant dead at 41 in a helicopter crash.  (Read 3826 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: BREAKING: Former NBA star Kobe Bryant dead at 41 in a helicopter crash.
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2020, 07:02:29 pm »
Family ‘heartbroken’ over loss of Sarah and Payton Chester, who died in helicopter crash with Kobe Bryant
La Serna High football coach Andy George discusses what his sister and niece meant to their family.

Payton, left, and Sarah Chester in a photo posted on social media. 

More here: https://www.ocregister.com/2020/01/27/family-heartbroken-over-loss-of-sarah-and-payton-chester-who-died-in-helicopter-crash-with-kobe-bryant/

I'd grieve for all of the victims, not only was fog an issue as pointed out, apparently, they are saying some other helicopters would not fly in that weather.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2020, 07:08:38 pm »
TMZ broke the story before Vanessa was notified by the authorities.  That makes me so angry!

Kobe talking about receiving his uniform to play in the Olympics: 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2020, 07:08:52 pm »
:yowsa: he did without doubt!  What might he have accomplished with a good back?

Lost a lot of respect for Mantle based on his antics at a card show I attended in the early '90's.  I was in the concourse,  and overheard him tell about an 8 year old kid. "Go get in the f__ing line and pay like everyone else".  He was also obviously inebriated (10:00 a.m., no less). Was really no excuse for that.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2020, 07:13:48 pm »
Lost a lot of respect for Mantle based on his antics at a card show I attended in the early '90's.  I was in the concourse,  and overheard him tell about an 8 year old kid. "Go get in the f__ing line and pay like everyone else".  He was also obviously inebriated (10:00 a.m., no less). Was really no excuse for that.
Jim Bouton in his book "Ball Four" had some less than worshipful stories about Mantle for which he, Bouton,  was heavily criticized.
Mantle did acknowledge his drinking problems which doesn't atone for yelling at an eight year old kid.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2020, 07:34:09 pm »

I guess it all depends on how you look at that.  To me, he gave that kid a great lesson in life.  Perhaps it's just me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2020, 07:44:43 pm »
This would seem to be all nine of the deceased:

Online berdie

« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2020, 08:40:10 pm »
I will issue a disclaimer...I quit watching sports about 2 years ago due to the antics of the players.

I mean no disrespect to any Laker fan here...but it has appeared to me that any successful team draws hatred and derision, Lakers..Patriots , Yankees, etc. (and ducking..the Cowboys who haven't won anything in 20 years).

The derision for Kobe likely stems from this attitude. Although I'm  not going to go into deep mourning for him, I do hate that he and his daughter and everyone else died  on that tragic flight.

He was a gifted player...there can be no argument. I can understand why he was arrogant. Most all athletes are. He entered that world as a very young man, influenced by the older teammates. The sexual assault thing didn't faze me. I am not sure that it happened as it was reported. Accused doesn't necessarily mean guilty.

I did hear on the news..."Where were you when Kobe died?" (as mentioned upthread). Really??? Please!!! This is overkill.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2020, 08:58:42 pm »
:yowsa: he did without doubt!  What might he have accomplished with a good back?
@Bigun

And better legs.

But you know? For a long enough time, now, I've been sick to death of all the what-ifs regarding Mickey Mantle---because what was was more than great enough. And you should be, too.

For the longest time I've heard Mantle discussed in terms of "what might have been" and how he "didn't live up to his potential" and all that stuff. And I suspect, based on a lifetime's reading, that the number one reason goes back to Casey Stengel, his first Yankee manager. Stengel was so enthralled with Mantle's complete talents that he got into his head that the kid just had to bust the record books apart. (A frequent remark of Stengel's that's cited in this regard: "Can you imagine what [John] McGraw would say if he saw this kid?") But the two were bound to clash otherwise, on two grounds: 1) Stengel was a great baseball teacher and knew it, and he couldn't understand why 2) Mantle wasn't always willing to listen and learn. (Mantle himself admitted as much in later years.) It became such a common theme with Stengel that both those who covered the Yankees in his years and those who followed, especially when Mantle's leg and other physical issues became more acute as the years went by, started taking up the theme of unrealised potential. No matter what Mantle did, that theme trailed him like cans tied to a bridal couple's rear bumper, for the rest of his career and the rest of his life.

Last year, I began tinkering with a concept I call real batting average. It started when a fellow baseball nut spoke of "complete hitting" in terms of the traditional batting averages and proclaimed that Tony Gwynn was a more "complete" hitter than another player whose name I forget right now, based on Gwynn having a higher traditional batting average---even though the other player did a lot more with the bat than Gwynn did. That got my mind working---the batting average as we know it takes hits and divides by official at-bats. Just saying it, I knew by instinct something was wrong, because a) official at-bats don't account for every trip you take to the plate, and b) it treats all your hits equally.

So after pondering that---and reading two books which threw the idea in my face without suggesting a formula, I came up with the real batting average idea and formula: Total bases (TB) + walks (BB) + intentional walks (IBB, and why shouldn't a man get credit when the other guys would rather you take your base than their heads off!) + sacrifices + hit by pitches. (They want to plunk you, let it be to your credit and on their heads.) And divide that sum by plate appearances. The reason for leaning on total bases? All hits are not equal, and total bases acknowledges that. (Anyone telling you a single equals a double equals a triple equals a home run, you should tell them to go back to school.) In other words, I added up everything a player does at the plate to help create runs and help his team win and divided it by every trip he took to the plate.

I ran those numbers accordingly. I looked at Hall of Famers post-war/post-integration/night-ball era, including Mickey Mantle---players who played all or most of their careers in that time---and one certain player of today who could retire after this coming season ends (he won't, but you get the idea) and be an overqualified Hall of Famer already. Now, look very carefully at where Mickey Mantle stands with his real batting average among Hall of Fame center fielders of the aforesaid time frame:

Mickey Mantle not only has the highest RBA of any Hall of Fame center fielder of that time, he has, by my calculation, the second-highest RBA of Hall of Famers at any position in that time. (Only Ted Williams has a higher one: .737.) And you notice the only other player at or past Mantle's RBA level is a certain Angel of today.

Potential?? This guy may have been the most complete player who ever put on a major league uniform (it only begins with his being the most powerful switch-hitter in the game's history), pending the final outcome of Mike Trout's career and acknowledging that his nearest equal in his time and place was (and remains) Willie Mays, and he did it for a team that won twelve pennants and seven World Series while he wore their uniform. (The only Yankee on more pennant winners and World Series champions: Yogi Berra.) And if Mantle's life overall is a cautionary tale on how unwanted fatalism bred excess in the middle of off-the-chart success, there's no argument there, but strictly as a baseball player Mickey Mantle earned the right to be seen (thank you, Bill James) not for what he could have done or might have done or should have done or would have done but what he did done.

So love Mickey Mantle the ballplayer for what he actually was, not what someone thinks he should have been. Because what he actually was was way off the charts.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2020, 09:12:47 pm »
Thanks for the info @EasyAce.

There is no question about Mickey Mantle having EARNED his place in the HOF and, IMHO, it's even more amazing when you know that he did that while playing hurt (not complaining about it) for most of his professional career.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2020, 11:35:07 pm »
Before fatal flight, Kobe and daughter attended OC church, took communion, Eucharistic minister says

By Jessica De Nova
Tuesday, January 28, 2020 12:39AM
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- One of the last things Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna did before boarding the helicopter flight that led to their deaths was attend church and take communion, according to church officials.

Father Steve Sallot with the Orange County church the Bryant family attends, was one of the last to see him alive.

"He was here before the 7 a.m. mass and that's our first mass of the day. So he would obviously have been in the prayer chapel before that and he was leaving about 10 to 7," Sallot said.

more
https://abc7.com/sports/before-fatal-flight-kobe-and-daughter-attended-church-minister-says/5883797/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2020, 11:37:04 pm »
Kobe Bryant crash: All 9 bodies recovered from Calabasas helicopter crash site

ABC's Romina Puga has the latest on the fatal helicopter crash in California.
Updated an hour ago

CALABASAS, Calif. -- The bodies of all victims in the helicopter crash in Calabasas that killed NBA superstar Kobe Bryant and eight others have been recovered, the Los Angeles County coroner's office announced Tuesday.

Recovery efforts proved difficult in the rugged terrain near Las Virgenes Road and Willow Glen Street, according to the Los Angeles County medical examiner. Investigators were able to reach the crash site by ATVs Monday morning, one day after three bodies were recovered from the scene.

"The search continued for the other six helicopter occupants. Soon after, their bodies were located, removed from the crash site and transported to the department's Forensic Science Center," the coroner's office said in a statement.

Investigators will now conduct body examinations on the victims, officials said.

more
https://abc7.com/all-9-bodies-recovered-from-kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash/5885870/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2020, 11:42:56 pm »
Beautiful story (tissue alert):

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2020, 02:51:57 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Kobe Bryant helicopter accident flight path re-creation
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2020, 03:12:38 pm »
Kobe Bryant and wife Vanessa had pact to ‘never fly on a helicopter together’
https://nypost.com/2020/01/28/kobe-bryant-and-wife-vanessa-had-pact-to-never-fly-on-a-helicopter-together/

Kobe Bryant’s wife, Vanessa, ‘can’t finish a sentence without crying’: pals
https://nypost.com/2020/01/28/kobe-bryants-wife-vanessa-cant-finish-a-sentence-without-crying-pals/
Support the USO