Author Topic: BREAKING: Former NBA star Kobe Bryant dead at 41 in a helicopter crash.  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: BREAKING: Former NBA star Kobe Bryant dead at 41 in a helicopter crash.
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 01:54:19 am »
   I wont shed a tear.  He was a pervert who abused Women.

The only story I remember about him was an allegation of rape by some young girl.  But if I remember right, criminal charges were dropped in favor of a civil suit by the alleged victim which was settled.  If I'm right, I guess we will never know whether their encounter was rape -- he claimed it was consensual and the girl I think was over the age of consent; so there was no statutory rape. 

Were there any other allegations of his misconduct with women?  Honestly, not being a basketball fan, I admit I didn't follow Bryant's life and career all that closely.

Online DB

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 02:01:02 am »
The only story I remember about him was an allegation of rape by some young girl.  But if I remember right, criminal charges were dropped in favor of a civil suit by the alleged victim which was settled.  If I'm right, I guess we will never know whether their encounter was rape -- he claimed it was consensual and the girl I think was over the age of consent; so there was no statutory rape. 

Were there any other allegations of his misconduct with women?  Honestly, not being a basketball fan, I admit I didn't follow Bryant's life and career all that closely.

She was 19, he was around 24.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2020, 02:07:27 am »

Thanks @DB  Was he married at the time?  If so, I'm sure his wife wasn't too pleased.

Online DB

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2020, 02:13:09 am »
Thanks @DB  Was he married at the time?  If so, I'm sure his wife wasn't too pleased.

It looks like he was married.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2020, 03:01:40 am »
A number of years ago, a Ref threw out 3 of the 5 starters for the Phoenix Suns playoff team, before the last and final game of the series with the Spurs on a technical foul when the Spurs threw Nash, the center, over the scoring table.  The Suns lost the game without its starters. 

After the season, it came to light the Ref accepted a large bribe from the owner of the Spurs.  The next season, in the first game of the Phoenix Suns, that Ref was officiating.  He didn't even get fined.

I'd post a link, but it was too many years ago to get a Google search to turn up results in the five minutes I was willing to spend doing the job for you.  Sorry.
Yeah, I know the story. One crooked ref. So then all refs are crooked, huh?
Baloney.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 03:10:54 am »
He was married, and reportedly bought his wife a very, very expensive ring as part of his apology. They seem to have resolved their marital problems.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2020, 04:17:58 am »
Nineteen is considered "of age" and can consent. It may be robbing the cradle, but it isn't perversion. As for infidelity, it appears he and his wife worked through that.

Not mine to judge, that's between them and The Almighty.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2020, 05:09:30 am »
Traveling like a VIP does come with risks. In this case it would've been far better to be one of the untermensch stuck on the 405.

Wouldn't it be so nice if we could see into the future regarding such things? That way, we could always make the right choices.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2020, 05:22:25 am »
Traveling like a VIP does come with risks. In this case it would've been far better to be one of the untermensch stuck on the 405.
@skeeter

When I lived in southern California (Huntington Beach), I was one of the untermensch stuck on the Fraud-05. The only time that freeway wasn't jammed was at three in the morning and even then. If I could have had access to a helicopter to go to work I'd have taken it, too. I can't blame Kobe Bryant for taking that option, but it doesn't make his death any less a tragedy knowing that you never know when your transportation will betray you---on the ground or in the air.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2020, 05:25:13 am »
For those who "won't shed a tear," does that include no tears for the 13-year-old daughter or the other passengers who were killed? Just curious.

(How often I witnessed decorum cast aside on DU after one of their "enemies" passed. Back then I thought such responses were limited to leftists.)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2020, 05:30:43 am »
For those who "won't shed a tear," does that include no tears for the 13-year-old daughter or the other passengers who were killed? Just curious.
@AllThatJazzZ

Also dead in the helicopter crash: John Altobelli, longtime Orange Coast College baseball coach (four state titles, 700+ wins) and later a manager in the Cape Cod League, where his players included future Yankee star Aaron Judge and future Mets star Jeff McNeil. Altobelli and Bryant became friends after their daughters met and became friends.

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2020, 05:31:22 am »
@skeeter

When I lived in southern California (Huntington Beach), I was one of the untermensch stuck on the Fraud-05. The only time that freeway wasn't jammed was at three in the morning and even then. If I could have had access to a helicopter to go to work I'd have taken it, too. I can't blame Kobe Bryant for taking that option, but it doesn't make his death any less a tragedy knowing that you never know when your transportation will betray you---on the ground or in the air.

:amen:

When I lived there, the 405 was called the San Diego Freeway. None of the freeways were called by numbers back then. Now it seems they all are.

Incidentally, I went back for a visit a couple of years ago and got to experience the 405 up close and personal. I'd seen it on TV, so I wasn't actually surprised, but it did give me a deep longing for the "olden days" of the early 70s.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2020, 05:55:52 am »
@AllThatJazzZ

Also dead in the helicopter crash: John Altobelli, longtime Orange Coast College baseball coach (four state titles, 700+ wins) and later a manager in the Cape Cod League, where his players included future Yankee star Aaron Judge and future Mets star Jeff McNeil. Altobelli and Bryant became friends after their daughters met and became friends.

RIP.
IIRC, the coach's daughter was along, too.

I don't care who you are, what your politics are, this is a sad day for the families and friends of all these people, and offer my prayers for them in their time of grief.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2020, 10:11:13 am »

I don't care who you are, what your politics are, this is a sad day for the families and friends of all these people, and offer my prayers for them in their time of grief.

:amen:

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2020, 10:48:55 am »

That's right... Though other than recognizing the name... something. something, basketball... I really don't know anything about this guy  :shrug:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2020, 10:57:09 am »

Amen!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2020, 01:53:56 pm »

(How often I witnessed decorum cast aside on DU after one of their "enemies" passed. Back then I thought such responses were limited to leftists.)

@AllThatJazzZ

What the hell are you talking about?  I haven't seen any du level of celebration here of Kobe Bryant's death.  Just because some of us would rather treat the death of a woman abuser and probable rapist (accused and out of court settlement) with indifference, is well within acceptable social guidelines.  If you want to celebrate the life of a person like that....  Then that is your business.  And BTW, I do feel for the other victims.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2020, 02:01:19 pm »
It looks like he was married.
He was. I remember the story well.

K.F. (though I know her name, I'm not going to go Tom Leykis on her) had sex with Kobe in a Colorado hotel. He was married with a one-year-old child at home. He claimed it was consensual. K.F. says it was rape. The media covered everything about K.F. except her name at the time, and this was before the era of MeToo. That is also the source of Kobe's nickname, the Mamba.

Kobe was a Hollywood creation. It's perfectly fine to acknowledge the accidental death of nine people, including innocent children, as a tragedy while noting the Day of Mourning that seems to be sweeping the media is a gross overreaction. Kobe was no saint. For many of us, he wasn't even a cultural icon.

I couldn't watch the Pro Bowl yesterday because ESPN was acting like JFK had just been shot.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2020, 02:05:14 pm »

K.F. (though I know her name, I'm not going to go Tom Leykis on her) had sex with Kobe in a Colorado hotel. He was married with a one-year-old child at home. He claimed it was consensual. K.F. says it was rape. The media covered everything about K.F. except her name at the time, and this was before the era of MeToo. That is also the source of Kobe's nickname, the Mamba.

Kobe was a Hollywood creation. It's perfectly fine to acknowledge the accidental death of nine people, including innocent children, as a tragedy while noting the Day of Mourning that seems to be sweeping the media is a gross overreaction. Kobe was no saint. For many of us, he wasn't even a cultural icon.

I couldn't watch the Pro Bowl yesterday because ESPN was acting like JFK had just been shot.

The "MeToo" faction sure has gone quiet on this one, haven't they?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2020, 02:08:08 pm »
@skeeter

True, there're tragedies on CA freeways every day.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:11:09 pm by skeeter »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2020, 02:11:30 pm »
A celebrity's death has absolutely no impact on our lives unless we were family or close personal friends, but people still seem to want to believe they were directly affected. As a human being, I feel empathy for the families of all of the dead whenever something like this happens (including, but not limited to Kobe) - how awful to have someone taken away so suddenly and unexpectedly!

Needless to say, the nitwit former president wants everyone to know it's all about him, as usual.
Barack Obama Grieves Friend & 'Legend' Kobe Bryant After He Dies in Helicopter Crash with His Daughter
Adam Carlson
15 hrs ago
People Magazine via MSN News

Former President Barack Obama joined so many others this week in grief and shock over the death of NBA legend Kobe Bryant, who was killed early Sunday along with his daughter Gianna in a helicopter crash in the Los Angeles area.  ...

His friendship with Bryant dates back years. Bryant visited Obama (a noted basketball fan) repeatedly in the White House, including in 2015 as he prepared to retire from the L.A. Lakers.

“He and Obama talked at length about the end of the current chapters in their lives,” according to Politico. ...
*****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2020, 02:26:18 pm »
Girls’ basketball coach Christina Mauser IDed as victim in Kobe Bryant crash
https://nypost.com/2020/01/26/girls-basketball-coach-christina-mauser-ided-as-victim-in-kobe-bryant-crash/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2020, 03:27:03 pm »

I'm not objecting to those who are not wailing and gnashing their teeth over Bryant's passing.  What I do object to are accusations that paint this guy as a serial rapist.  As far as I know, there was just this was one incident, which may or may not have been consensual -- the matter was settled and both Bryant and the woman in question went on with their lives.  No, Bryant wasn't a saint, but then again, none of us are.  We all do stupid things.  Bryant was a stupid young man who did a stupid thing.  But unlike so many other celebrities,  it appears he learned his lesson and in the nearly 20 years since the incident he has become an older and wiser fellow and a better husband and father.  He had a good career in sports and he parlayed his fame and fortune into philanthropy for a number of endeavors.  I'd like to think that he would be remembered for all those other good things, rather than one really stupid incident.

By the way, I do agree with your complaint that the media coverage of this tragedy is way over the top.  I just pulled up a morning newsfeed on my computer -- six separate stories on this tragedy.  And few of them mention the other people who perished.  I guess their lives weren't as important as Bryant's.  GRRRRRR!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2020, 03:29:11 pm »
Washington Post journalist is suspended after tweeting a link to a 2016 story about Kobe Bryant's rape case just hours after he died in helicopter crash
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7932771/Journalist-suspended-tweeting-link-story-Kobe-Bryants-rape-case-2003.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2020, 03:29:27 pm »

Needless to say, the nitwit former president wants everyone to know it's all about him, as usual. *****rollingeyes*****

Your comment made me wonder... how'd Kobe get along with Hillary? (Bad joke)
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck