Author Topic: The Ten Most Important Early Computer and Video Games  (Read 1263 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Ten Most Important Early Computer and Video Games
« on: January 25, 2020, 05:49:23 pm »
The Ten Most Important Early Computer and Video Games
These devices, inventions and innovations gave birth to an entire industry.
Feature by Jaz Rignall, Contributor
Updated on 23 March 2017

Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device

Developers: Thomas Goldsmith Jr. and Estle Ray Mann
    Release: 1947
    System: Cathode ray tube and oscilloscope
    Importance: The first interactive electronic game

Inspired by World War II radar display technology, Thomas Goldsmith Jr. and Estle Ray Mann created the earliest known interactive electronic game while working at the DuMont Laboratories in New Jersey. The bespoke analog machine was basically a cathode ray tube wired to an oscilloscope, and used a set of integrated knobs and switches to simulate the trajectory of missiles, which the user fired at a transparent plastic target overlaid on the screen.

Although a patent for the device was filed on January 25, 1947 and issued on December 14, 1948, the machine was never put into production, or shown to the public. Because it doesn't run on a computer, and consists of purely analog hardware, it's argued that the Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device doesn't really fit the true definition of a video game. However, I've included it on this list because despite its rudimentary technology, it's nevertheless an objective-oriented interactive experience played on a screen, and I believe it should be considered a progenitor video game.

Read more at: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-most-important-early-computer-and-video-games

So there you have it, early video game history.  Something like "pong" was developed way back then too, as the article alludes to.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Ten Most Important Early Computer and Video Games
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 05:57:02 pm »
If Doom doesn't make the top five,it's a bogus list.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 06:06:03 pm »
The list is all pre-Pong (released in 1972), and (obviously) pre-personal computer. The picture of the Dumont oscilloscope was kind of cool.

The military didn't created CRTs, but there were a lot of war-surplus radar CRTs and production capacity "out there" after WW2.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:08:37 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 06:13:50 pm »
I have a cousin in law, ex-USMC seven years electronics,

worked for Intel pre- PCchip, etc.

Mid 70s he had a nice devie with nice screen and graphics, dedicated to "Artillery"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 06:18:21 pm »
If Doom doesn't make the top five,it's a bogus list.

And Pong.  Playing games on a TV?  I thought that was the coolest thing on earth at the time.  I think I had one in about 1974.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 01:53:50 am »
And Pong.  Playing games on a TV?  I thought that was the coolest thing on earth at the time.  I think I had one in about 1974.

@catfish1957

I didn't even own a tv until some time in the late 80's.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 02:17:54 am »
First game I ever played on a "PC" was "Hunt the Wumpus" on my SYM-1.