Author Topic: MESSIAH -- Netflix [plus other favorites]  (Read 2808 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
MESSIAH -- Netflix [plus other favorites]
« on: January 24, 2020, 05:35:35 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Just finished watching this yesterday.

Would love to discuss with fellow Briefers, but it's impossible without spoilers.

Secondly, the last thing we need is another religious disagreement.      wink777

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:41:36 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

Re: MESSIAH -- Netflix
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 08:19:36 pm »

Just finished watching this yesterday.

Would love to discuss with fellow Briefers, but it's impossible without spoilers.

Secondly, the last thing we need is another religious disagreement.      wink777

Been fixin to @DCPatriot ... Haven't quite steeled myself enough going in, knowing the heresy I will most certainly be watching... But you've pushed me into it. I will binge it this weekend and get back to you...

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 08:46:33 pm »
 :beer:

If you can get by the lead female character 'Eva' who has far too many, long close-ups to convey whatever mood she's in.  ARRGH!!

She was the co-star in the British TV series, 'LUTHER', starring Idris Elba.   She played a high IQ cunning killer and he a detective ...great with a surprise ending.

Anyway, the story is compelling to the point you disregard the artistically weak intrusion.

IMO, the casting is superb. 

You'll find that Al-Masih, no matter his motives, is a Good Man. 

But, now I can't wait to talk with you about it, @roamer_1  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:47:38 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 08:55:12 pm »

Anyway, the story is compelling to the point you disregard the artistically weak intrusion.

IMO, the casting is superb. 

You'll find that Al-Masih, no matter his motives, is a Good Man. 

But, now I can't wait to talk with you about it, @roamer_1  :laugh:

@DCPatriot
Thanks for that analysis... It helps that you appreciate the structure. Now I am looking forward to sitting down with it...

However, I am still going in with a jaundiced eye - the plot and the title being fodder enough to get on my radar for critical analysis as a Christian... So I dare say that I will not be able to engage without the religious aspect. be ready for that, I reckon. But then, I suppose you would expect it.  :laugh:

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 09:11:39 pm »

but it's impossible without spoilers.

Spoilers? Does it have a shocking and unpopular ending like GOT?

:shrug:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 09:15:47 pm »

Nevermind. I hadn't watched the trailer before posting and thought was "Messiah TOS" and not "Messiah  II"

:whistle:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 09:24:25 pm »
@DCPatriot
Thanks for that analysis... It helps that you appreciate the structure. Now I am looking forward to sitting down with it...

However, I am still going in with a jaundiced eye - the plot and the title being fodder enough to get on my radar for critical analysis as a Christian... So I dare say that I will not be able to engage without the religious aspect. be ready for that, I reckon. But then, I suppose you would expect it.  :laugh:

@roamer_1

Ahhhh....you may be [pleasantly] surprised!    :laugh:

Transcends established religions. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 09:26:36 pm »

You know, I still have not watched the final season of GOT... Largely because I don't want to spoil it, because the spoilers have told me it will...

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 09:26:42 pm »
Nevermind. I hadn't watched the trailer before posting and thought was "Messiah TOS" and not "Messiah  II"

:whistle:

@Neverdul

I'm afraid it's your destiny that you've posted on this thread.      :yowsa:

wink777

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 09:27:41 pm »
@roamer_1

Ahhhh....you may be [pleasantly] surprised!    :laugh:

Transcends established religions.

@DCPatriot

Well now my curiosity is piqued... Though I doubt I will agree with that.  happy77

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 09:34:02 pm »
@DCPatriot

Well now my curiosity is piqued... Though I doubt I will agree with that.  happy77

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 09:34:48 pm »
You know, I still have not watched the final season of GOT... Largely because I don't want to spoil it, because the spoilers have told me it will...

IMO, it wasn't that bad. Yes it did seem a bit rushed with too many stories archs forced to a conclusion, might have benefited from a few more episoudes, but the ending story arch, with the dragon lady, well we did see she had both a good side and a very dark side and there was some foreshadowing in previous seasons that indicated it was a crap shoot which way she would go.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 09:38:42 pm »
IMO, it wasn't that bad. Yes it did seem a bit rushed with too many stories archs forced to a conclusion, might have benefited from a few more episoudes, but the ending story arch, with the dragon lady, well we did see she had both a good side and a very dark side and there was some foreshadowing in previous seasons that indicated it was a crap shoot which way she would go.

Yeah... Pretty much every character had a good and bad side... So that much was inevitable, no matter which way...  :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 01:17:34 am »
Alright @DCPatriot ... I did it. Half last night (way to late, couldn't put it down), half today.

Cinematic-ally, Pretty good.
Good character development. Decent at the story - Although too many cross-overs/flashbacks to suit me. Found that confusing, especially where characters were similar... But navigable.
Story line was alright - Several plot devices were pretty stretched... An example: A guy walks on water, unplanned, in front of witnesses and on national tv is pretty dang hard to deny. Yet deny they did - very contrived in construction.

Will I watch a next season? Yes, I probably would.
I'll lead with that, and save the religious critique and social-shaping for later.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 07:47:51 pm »

The ending was left open for series two. I kinda liked the show and I kinda didn’t. I don’t know what to make of it without spoilers, but I hope my questions would be answered in series two.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 07:16:15 am »
The ending was left open for series two. I kinda liked the show and I kinda didn’t. I don’t know what to make of it without spoilers, but I hope my questions would be answered in series two.

That's right... Me too.  :beer:

The religious aspect is really the bender... In prophecy, it is mainly Koranic, with a nod at Judaism, though they (the Jews) remain godless unbelievers... and pretty much a snub at Christians, who wind up easily duped... It doesn't really work in the Christian aspect unless the guy is antichrist... Yeshua said he will not be back until he comes in glory, with all the angels of heaven with him...

In the story line, he could still be Isa (the Koranic Jesus)/Messiah, or Dijal...
In the Judaic sense, he is not of David, so cannot be anything but a false prophet or Abaddon...
In the Christian sense, if his feet are touching the ground, he can't be Messiah... And must be a false prophet or the antichrist.

How they continue in the second season is a curiosity.

:seeya:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:17:07 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 10:17:53 am »
All I will say is by the second episode I was hooked and I binged the entire show in one night. And yes, I do hope there is a second season.

I also liked (no spoiler) the little Israeli girl who called her father “Abba.” I remember learning that word in Hebrew school. It made me smile.

No one has brought up it was done by Mark Burdett and his wife Roma Downey.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 11:18:44 am »

If you can get by the lead female character 'Eva' who has far too many, long close-ups to convey whatever mood she's in.  ARRGH!!

She was the co-star in the British TV series, 'LUTHER', starring Idris Elba.   She played a high IQ cunning killer and he a detective ...great with a surprise ending.

@DCPatriot

ALICE!

I am going to go out on a limb here,and guess that Alice wasn't a well-balanced individual. Luther recognized this,and was smart enough to be scared of her.

"Luther" was one of the most entertaining series I ever watched. The British sure know how to produce good drama/crime stories.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 11:23:34 am »
@DCPatriot

ALICE!

I am going to go out on a limb here,and guess that Alice wasn't a well-balanced individual. Luther recognized this,and was smart enough to be scared of her.

"Luther" was one of the most entertaining series I ever watched. The British sure know how to produce good drama/crime stories.

@sneakypete

Exactly!!   "Alice"!   Loved that series, and she was great!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 11:27:58 am »

@roamer_1

Watch it. IMNSHO,most of the criticism of the ending was due to it BEING the ending. How the HELL can you have an ending to one of the most popular series in history,and have it please people? The only "ending" that could have done that would have been a surprise ending saying it WASN'T ending.

We all have our biases. With me,mythology is one of the big ones. Humanity is perfectly capable of providing all the evil ever needed all by themselves,so dragons,Satan,etc,etc,etc were never needed. If I had of had any idea there was going to be dragons,I would have never even started watching GoT. By the time the white-haired hottie and her pet dragons showed up and started lighting the bad guys up,I was shouting "Go dragons!" at my teebee screen.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 11:31:16 am »
Yeah... Pretty much every character had a good and bad side... So that much was inevitable, no matter which way...  :shrug:

@roamer_1

Kinda like real people.

Except for me,of course. Everything peaches and cream here.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 11:34:32 am »

No one has brought up it was done by Mark Burdett and his wife Roma Downey.

@Gefn

Is that a good thing,or a bad thing? The woman's name is vaguely familiar.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 12:51:53 pm »
@Gefn

Is that a good thing,or a bad thing? The woman's name is vaguely familiar.

She was on “touched by an Angel”. I know she’s very religious. She and hubby did s show on tv a few years ago called “The Bible”, for the History Channel and she played Mary.

She’s a good actress imho.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 01:46:16 pm »
Watch it. IMNSHO,most of the criticism of the ending was due to it BEING the ending. How the HELL can you have an ending to one of the most popular series in history,and have it please people? The only "ending" that could have done that would have been a surprise ending saying it WASN'T ending.

@sneakypete
Yeah a lot of it is about the end being too compressed I guess. Which ought to be expected in TV shows. Should be happy that they got enough warning to DO an ending.

Jericho was like that... found out they was leaving, and hustled a pretty piss-poor end.

We all have our biases. With me,mythology is one of the big ones. Humanity is perfectly capable of providing all the evil ever needed all by themselves,so dragons,Satan,etc,etc,etc were never needed. If I had of had any idea there was going to be dragons,I would have never even started watching GoT. By the time the white-haired hottie and her pet dragons showed up and started lighting the bad guys up,I was shouting "Go dragons!" at my teebee screen.

Me, I am the other way... A good portion of my life has been spent looking at the unseen. If we were sitting on the porch, I could probably go deep into the night in analysis of all the occult prophecies contained in GOT... And all the things within that are found in history... That is a seriously occultic show.

What you see as myth, I see as history. Dragons at least were, if not living still... As recorded by military men like yourself who battled them. I am not inclined to discount their testimony merely on the basis of the sophistry of modernity. To do so would discount all of history, as is done nowdays on the altar of science.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 03:19:29 pm »
She was on “touched by an Angel”. I know she’s very religious. She and hubby did s show on tv a few years ago called “The Bible”, for the History Channel and she played Mary.

She’s a good actress imho.

@Gefn

Thanks. I know I must have seen and liked her in something because I vaguely remember her name,and remember nothing negative being connected to her. When I despise people,I remember why.